Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-20-2020, 01:47 PM

Angry Sylvan Lake is done

Thank you F&W for allowing a 1 walleye limit. Sylvan lake is now toast. Massively being over fished and no more excellent catch and release days.
Old 07-20-2020, 01:55 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

man tuff gig...if you say catch and release only people complain...if you say one fish...people complain....if you put a slot size...people complain.....if you put a draw/tag system...people complain...common denominator....people complaining.

how about this...we anglers take charge of our actions...ran into a fella with similar complaints....yet he still had his...I asked why...gotta get my share...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-20-2020, 02:10 PM

Way too early to jump to any conclusions expecially on a one walleye limit that has not even run a whole season. To many the walleye over stocking was a negative on other species and they were happy to see them thinned. My self I think walleye fight like a wet sock so have little interest in C&R walleye and rarely target them in general

There is still a ton of lakes where you can C&R walleye all day at the worst. It’s a matter of fishermen have different interests so management is trying to find a way to please a variety of fishermen
Old 07-20-2020, 02:22 PM

Let's just say it was enjoyable to jig the walleye. All 25 of them and they would be there the next time you went out. Made for a fun day on the water. Not sure they were ever overpopulated or crowding out other fish. Look what happened to the pike in Sylvan, you allowed a 1 fish limit and they got decimated. This was not the walleye's fault. Yes trout are more fun to catch I agree there.
Old 07-20-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskie032 View Post
Thank you F&W for allowing a 1 walleye limit. Sylvan lake is now toast. Massively being over fished and no more excellent catch and release days.
Wasn't F&W
Old 07-20-2020, 02:31 PM

About time they opened a damn lake and it might as well be that one.
Old 07-20-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty9 View Post
Wasn't F&W
Well my bad ok Alberta environment? Whoever did it then. I'm just having my rant cuz it is now going to turn into a recreational lake that's non fishing. Like so many lakes we already have here in Alberta. lol
Old 07-20-2020, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Let's just say it was enjoyable to jig the walleye. All 25 of them and they would be there the next time you went out. Made for a fun day on the water. Not sure they were ever overpopulated or crowding out other fish. Look what happened to the pike in Sylvan, you allowed a 1 fish limit and they got decimated. This was not the walleye's fault. Yes trout are more fun to catch I agree there.
To each there own personally I don’t target Sylvan to say much about the make up of the fish population past or present. I can only go on what others have said about the lake

I am 90% C&R myself but I also respect people fish for multiple reasons. The fisheries in Alberta are there for all angles so some variety in management is a good thing in my opinion. Lots of changes I would like to see but understand that a portion of fishermen would view them as a negative change

PS some trout are ok but rainbows suck to me lol
Old 07-20-2020, 02:56 PM

Save a pike, whitefish, and perch....bonk a Walleye.
Old 07-20-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrobert View Post
Just bonk a couple. Not all haha

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 07-20-2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Way too early to jump to any conclusions expecially on a one walleye limit that has not even run a whole season. To many the walleye over stocking was a negative on other species and they were happy to see them thinned. My self I think walleye fight like a wet sock so have little interest in C&R walleye and rarely target them in general

There is still a ton of lakes where you can C&R walleye all day at the worst. It’s a matter of fishermen have different interests so management is trying to find a way to please a variety of fishermen
Double digit Walter's on the fly after dark are pretty scrappy 18 inchers on 60 pound braid with a 6 ounce weight dont even rate a sock

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 07-20-2020, 03:16 PM

OP ever consider maybe the schools were all known so when their friends started to go missing they found somewhere else to hangout? I dont know never fished for them in Coronavirus Lake

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 07-20-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrobert View Post
I hope your not disappointed in 5 years when the pike, perch and whitefish fishing still suck.
Old 07-20-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
OP ever consider maybe the schools were all known so when their friends started to go missing they found somewhere else to hangout? I dont know never fished for them in Coronavirus Lake
LOL Good one.
Old 07-20-2020, 04:09 PM

What kills me here is there are millions of walleye at Wabamun that are destroying that lake and stunting every species in there ………. why not consider doing that in a lake like that.

I one year all the people from Edmonton can correct 15 years of poor management of that watershed.

If that lake get any more walleye in it, they will be breaching the water and throwing themselves at you like those Asian Carp.
Old 07-20-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Well my bad ok Alberta environment? Whoever did it then. I'm just having my rant cuz it is now going to turn into a recreational lake that's non fishing. Like so many lakes we already have here in Alberta. lol
This move wasn’t meant to make sylvan a better fishery immediately although at least you can finally keep a walleye somewhere, it was meant to give a boost to whitefish, perch and pike populations which we ought to start seeing increase in the next couple years. Other than walleye everything else has been in the decline and removing a mid level predator ought to improve that
Old 07-20-2020, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Double digit Walter's on the fly after dark are pretty scrappy 18 inchers on 60 pound braid with a 6 ounce weight dont even rate a sock
If I have to find a double digit walleye just to get a good tug on fly gear that sounds like a lot of work. Sorting through a ton of little wet socks to find one that can actually fight lol

I still get the itch once in a blue moon to target them but rarely
Old 07-20-2020, 05:39 PM

I think it is too early to tell. Maybe after a good decimating this year they will put a tough slot on or close it again. We'll see.

I only targeted whites at Sylvan so cannot speak too much to the wallies.
Old 07-20-2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Pretty sure that AEP poll everyone did last year is the reason why all these limits are available. The people voted! The scientists hazard against this, but hey, democracy trumps science and suspicions! Lets see what happens
Old 07-20-2020, 06:34 PM

Quote:
You realize that on average 10% of fish caught and released will die? Doesn't matter what you as an angler does fish will die and if you don't use artificial bait the mortality rate increases. The end result is does the fish waste away in the lake/river or do you get to feed yourself with it. So unless your excellent catch and release days are catching less than 10 fish (which I wouldn't say is an excellent day...) a 1 fish limit will statistically result in less fish killed than if you just CR a bunch. Do a search for various studies done on Hooking Mortality.

For starters here is a good article and specifically mentions walleye's mortality rate as done by the Minnesota DNR.

http://www.northlandoutdoors.com/201...y-live-or-die/
Old 07-20-2020, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
You realize that on average 10% of fish caught and released will die? Doesn't matter what you as an angler does fish will die and if you don't use artificial bait the mortality rate increases. The end result is does the fish waste away in the lake/river or do you get to feed yourself with it. So unless your excellent catch and release days are catching less than 10 fish (which I wouldn't say is an excellent day...) a 1 fish limit will statistically result in less fish killed than if you just CR a bunch. Do a search for various studies done on Hooking Mortality.

For starters here is a good article and specifically mentions walleye's mortality rate as done by the Minnesota DNR.

http://www.northlandoutdoors.com/201...y-live-or-die/
I don't believe it. If you don't lung the fish, there is no blood and your only bring them up 15 feet. They will not die. It's only when you bring them up from really deep or are not paying attention to your rod and they swallow the hook is where you kill them. I've caught the same fish over 4 times in a day easily.
Old 07-20-2020, 06:53 PM

Quote:
If I have to find a double digit walleye just to get a good tug on fly gear that sounds like a lot of work. Sorting through a ton of little wet socks to find one that can actually fight lol

I still get the itch once in a blue moon to target them but rarely
not where I fall fish, pretty rare to get any under 5 pounds. 45 1 night and maybe one of those under 5, most 8 plus and lots of doubles. then again I live in Gods country Im definitely spoiled

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 07-20-2020, 06:56 PM

Quote:
I hope your not disappointed in 5 years when the pike, perch and whitefish fishing still suck.
Have watched more than a few lakes get over populated with Walleye and the rest the species in the lake go down hill real fast. Pigeon, isle, LSA, just to make a few in Central Alberta.

Finally starting to see some schools of whites again in LSA. Weird eh, might have to do with the walleye retention the last 5-6 year. Figure it out. Or your an expert who wants to catch 25 starving to death Walleye?
Old 07-20-2020, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
Pretty sure that AEP poll everyone did last year is the reason why all these limits are available. The people voted! The scientists hazard against this, but hey, democracy trumps science and suspicions! Lets see what happens
This right here. The bio at the meeting I attended told me this would happen. Fishermen are equipped better and far better at catching fish. he predicted even a one fish limit would damage fisheries. But there are soooo many fishermen that are sooooo much smarter than bio's. They got their way.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-20-2020, 06:59 PM

Quote:
I don't believe it. If you don't lung the fish, there is no blood and your only bring them up 15 feet. They will not die. It's only when you bring them up from really deep or are not paying attention to your rod and they swallow the hook is where you kill them. I've caught the same fish over 4 times in a day easily.
Do you think that fish you caught 4 times didn't get stressed? Would be boring catching the same fish over and over. Must be very competitive for food if the same fish keeps biting.

Sylvan lake has been fished and harvested for a hundred years. And back in the day limits were liberal. Never killed the lake then and it won't now.

If god didn't want us to eat fish he wouldn't have made them out of meat.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-20-2020, 07:12 PM

clean those stunted walleyes out of there. Go to wab and catch and release runty walleyes all you want. Lakes polluted with walleyes soon have no perch no whites skinny pike, you name it. See all those people out there catching wallies and having fun? They wanted to keep a fish and thats why they are out there fishing. You can still throw them back. Lots left.
Old 07-20-2020, 07:35 PM

Quote:
I'm laughing at this.
Old 07-20-2020, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
I'm laughing at this.
Me too lol
Old 07-20-2020, 08:30 PM

Quote:

100% agree, I've never been able to fathom the desirability of a C&R Walleye fishery. Walleye typically don't fight very hard, and most of the best ways of catching them bore the heck out of me, if I'm not going to eat them I'm not much interested in fishing for them. If you want to create a quality C&R lake, than pretty much any other species makes more sense.

The only appeal I can see is that once over populated they can be caught in large numbers with very little effort... meh.

IMO they should have these lakes on a rotating open season, one year Pidgeon, Wab the next etc... if the lakes can sustain a HEALTHY (not necessarily shooting fish in a barrel numbers) population then over lap them. Instead of one fished out lake, you get multiple balanced fisheries.
Old 07-20-2020, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Which lakes?
I can catch fish on all these mid AB and south lakes.
WDF