Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-10-2013, 10:38 PM

It surprised me too,but it seems this is very common with .muzzle loader.iirc it measures .713. She still holds 1 1/4 oz shot and
is cyl x cyl which is perfect for my needs . The .690 ball should be even better with the smaller bore.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
It surprised me too,but it seems this is very common with .muzzle loader.iirc it measures .713. She still holds 1 1/4 oz shot and
is cyl x cyl which is perfect for my needs . The .690 ball should be even better with the smaller bore.
I much prefer a cylinder bore to a choked bore, especially when it comes to muzzle loaders, and ESPECIALLY when shooting round ball .
Cat
Old 10-19-2013, 06:53 PM

As luck would have it I found myself 300K from home and no wads and cards. But there were wasp nests all around, and I had read they used to use these in the old days, so I used wasp nests for wads and cards. I had great luck with #6 shot, 00Bock and .690 Round Balls.
A day later my friend arrived at camp and brought my wads and cards.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
As luck would have it I found myself 300K from home and no wads and cards. But there were wasp nests all around, and I had read they used to use these in the old days, so I used wasp nests for wads and cards. I had great luck with #6 shot, 00Bock and .690 Round Balls.
A day later my friend arrived at camp and brought my wads and cards.
Soooo, got some pics of dead critters?
Cat
Old 10-19-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Soooo, got some pics of dead critters?
Cat
Cat we were hunting with longbows, I just took the Shotgun for some patterning etc. and sighting with the RB's during the mid day rest time. As for photos nothing was close enough to draw the string.
I did get the best RB results with 90 gr 2F a wad of nest, a .690/ Dia, 485 gr round ball wraped with nest, and a wad of nest on top of the ball. It worked better than patched ball's and using wads and cards.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:17 PM

Sounds like a grand time!
Cat
Old 11-12-2013, 07:52 AM

Smile A strange man?

I have had reports that a strange man with an unusual hat, was carrying a sxs breech loading BP 12 ga. shot gun, the kind with brass shells around Millicent the other day. Is our Cat on the move, or are there unlicenced copies out there?
Old 12-13-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
I have had reports that a strange man with an unusual hat, was carrying a sxs breech loading BP 12 ga. shot gun, the kind with brass shells around Millicent the other day. Is our Cat on the move, or are there unlicenced copies out there?
Didn't hunt Millicent this year, I was a Long Pump, the Aquaduct, and Rolling Hills, as well as some wild places and wwbirds' place- oh, and chasing Chkars with oldgutpile.......
Cat
Old 01-15-2014, 10:24 PM

Old 03-10-2014, 09:23 AM

Thumbs up You can adjust your charges to suit the hunting/shooting situation.

The way it was explained to me a long long time ago, when I started shooting black powder; was that you keep everything equal. Simply the way the fellow put it was, if you use a teaspoon of powder, you use a teaspoon of shot for a light load. For a heavy load a tablespoon of powder, you use a tablespoon of shot. Looking at say 20 gauge, the maximum load or magnum load is 1 1/4 oz. of shot, 12 gauge the maximum is 2 oz. of shot. Minimum loads can be as small as 1/2 oz. of lead for either; just as long as the powder/shot ratios are the same. I don't know if Lyman still sells the adjustable shot scoop; that had the oz. of shot marked on it. One scoop of powder, card wad, filler wad, one scoop of shot, card wad, cap or prime, and shoot. Lee had a set of, say 20 non-adjustable scoops that would work too or just make your own if you're handy and like to tinker.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:40 PM

Default Black Powder

Fireworks FX is a GOEX Master Distributor and stocks FFg black powder available for immediate delivery. Available in 1 lb bottles and case lots of 25 bottles. Contact us today for a price delivered to your door. Tel. +1 800 717 2292 info@fireworksfx.com
Old 05-20-2014, 08:39 PM

Where is FireworksFX located?
Old 08-27-2014, 06:04 PM

Just picked up a Ward and Son's 12ga, impatiently waiting for some wads to arrive from Track of the Wolf...
Old 08-27-2014, 06:08 PM

Is that Wards a percussion cap? if so you don't need to wait for wads. Hornets and wasp nests work great as wad material, and they are always the right size.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Is that Wards a percussion cap? if so you don't need to wait for wads. Hornets and wasp nests work great as wad material, and they are always the right size.

It is a percussion. I'll have to try that. I was debating cutting up some old cork to try as well.

Also, turns out it's a 14ga, so I'll have to change my order.

While I was unpacking it I noticed that the right nipple and hammer don't line up properly, and there's a seam on the back end of the breech blocks. By comparing the decorations, it looks like the breech block has been twisted a bit. Any ideas on how to fix it if I can?
Old 08-27-2014, 06:44 PM

It was unscrewed at some point by the loom of it and over tightened, or it came loose and from wear it didn't tighten up until it was past its original point .
A very thin shim will bring it back to where it needs to be
Cat
Old 08-27-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
It was unscrewed at some point by the loom of it and over tightened, or it came loose and from wear it didn't tighten up until it was past its original point .

A very thin shim will bring it back to where it needs to be

Cat

Ok, thanks. How do I shim that?
Old 08-29-2014, 11:24 PM

You would have to cut one out of shim stock, which would be a tough job, but you could likely use some of that new high strength gasket maker as well, I'm sure Petew has used thaat stuff for temporary fixes on stuff in his work.
Cat
Old 08-29-2014, 11:35 PM

Quote:
You would have to cut one out of shim stock, which would be a tough job, but you could likely use some of that new high strength gasket maker as well, I'm sure Petew has used thaat stuff for temporary fixes on stuff in his work.
Cat
ok, thanks. Its soaking in penetrating oil right now so I can get it apart, then the feeler gauges to figure out how much I need to shim it. I figured I could use shim washers to build it out the right amount and contour the outsides to match the detailing.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:42 PM

Sorry to be a bother, hopefully it's the last question I have!

I noticed this with one of the flash holes when I had the nipples out. Is it still good to go?

Old 08-29-2014, 11:54 PM

YIKES!!
That doesn't look good at all!
I would remove both plugs and see if track of the Wolf can sell you a replacement set.
Cat
Old 08-29-2014, 11:54 PM

That's a tough fix. The plug should seat on the inside against the barrel and on the outside . If you shim it at the back you leave the threads exposed inside to black powder corrosion when you wash it down to clean it.Now the question is why was the plug turned? was it leaking? we don't know, but can assume it either leaked or had a badly stuck dry ball in it.
My first thing to do if it was mine would be remove the plug and see what the threads are like.and probably take a tap to them to clean them up.

Now we need to get the plug to seat on the inside and have the lug in position as well as have the plug seat against the outside of the barrel .

If we knew the material the plug is made from the end could be Tig welded to make it longer , then squared up so it will seat on the inside . This will leave a gap on the ouside so now it is a matter of filing down the plug a hair at a time until it seats on both ends with the lug in position and the engraving lined up.
Lots of trial and error,but possible if it can be built up without destroying it. You could also braze the plug face on the inside to build it up. Looking at the photos again those fancy nubs look like pressure relief plugs, so welding / Brazing probably isn't an option because of the heat needed. I think you have a wall hanger.
Before you give up, pull the plug and see just what you have, then make an informed decision.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:57 PM

just saw the last photo. Send it back for a refund,
Old 08-30-2014, 12:12 AM

Bugger! Well that's the end of that. Back to looking for a muzzie (hopefully one that's not fubar'd)!
Old 08-30-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bang_on_sk View Post
Bugger! Well that's the end of that. Back to looking for a muzzie (hopefully one that's not fubar'd)!
Does it have to be a vintage gun or would a modern replica do?
Cat
Old 01-19-2015, 03:47 PM

So, it's been fixed, we milled out the old threads, threaded a piece of rod, then drilled it out and threaded the inside to take the nipple. Good as new (ish)

I think a drop of loktite and we're good to go. I'm glad it's been resurrected!

Now to get it home and test it out.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:58 AM

Default Muzzle loading shotgun

I have an 1850's vintage 16ga.SXS percussion cap that I got from my Grandpa and have hunted with since I was 10 (now more than 50 yrs. ago)
I used to use a pouch with FFG and dipper, felt patches/wads & a soft sided dispenser with adjustable brass nozzle to regulate amount of #6 shot..
After many years I graduated to a powder horn; -- now felt patch rammed hard on top of powder -- layer of hornest's nest on top of it -- Remington 20 gauge plastic wad cups -- shot & hornet's nest top wad !!! Wonderful -- patterned it --- and at end of hunt I shoot each barrel to empty them & then clean --- have always done this way --
For dry conditions !!! I put a tiny amount of fine machine oil on the bottom felt wad to be sure there are no residual coals -- and I usually have successfully retrieved that over powder patch after each shot -- while picking up game (but the dampening is to insure things should I lose one - and has never interfered with ignition or been found smoldering)!!!
Old 04-22-2015, 02:16 AM
Banned

That's awesome. Is this procedure safe?
Old 10-19-2016, 07:19 PM

I rearranged my photos so they got deleted here.
will put them back up with some ore recent ones.
These are all pictures with muzzle loaders in them
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 10-30-2016 at 06:26 AM.
Old 08-25-2018, 04:08 AM

Default Blunderbuss .69

Do you know anything about the blunderbuss .69 cal i just got one an cant find the right info on how much to put in for powder or even the right powder to use.