Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-24-2011, 03:26 PM

Thumbs down Pigeon Lake Walleye Draws

Just wondering if anyone noticed that they cut the Class B tags from Pigeon for 2011? First they cut the Class A, now Class B.
Pretty sad that we have a walleye fishery that has a ton of fish and they are only allowing the harvest of 43cm and under fish.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 03-24-2011, 03:28 PM
sheephunter

Ya, that's weird. I'd say 85% of the fish a person catches in a day would fall in the Class B category.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:45 PM

I don't think it is. I talked to the local area biologist prior to the tags started. He did state that the types and numbers of tags would change from year to year as the fish base started to change. Tags would be based on creel and test netting. At least that is what I remember.

I have definately noticed a change in walleye size. I'm now seeing some smaller ones and some larger ones. Seems like the tag system is having an effect. Also, not seeing as many skinny 2 to 2.5 lb walleye.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:17 PM

Find that smaller size 43 and under i believe I had last year ,hardly feeds one person.Realy not worth fishing for.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Find that smaller size 43 and under i believe I had last year ,hardly feeds one person.Realy not worth fishing for.
I hear you. 3 would be one small meal for two. It would be nice to see something like:

Class A - 2 over 50
Class B - 3 between 43 and 50
Class C - 5 under 43

Where it warrants it and can support it. Or just have the same amount of tags but more per person (5).
Old 03-25-2011, 01:06 AM

Not worth fishing for????? Stay home and knit with your wife then. That's the problem. Can't have fun unless your eating it? I'm in the hobby for 40g's between the boat and ice gear and I could catch the same amount of fish for 2 g's. Gotta love it buddy. Or do u???
Old 03-25-2011, 08:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
I hear you. 3 would be one small meal for two. It would be nice to see something like:

Class A - 2 over 50
Class B - 3 between 43 and 50
Class C - 5 under 43

Where it warrants it and can support it. Or just have the same amount of tags but more per person (5).
This is why they set limits do checks and readjust limits and sizes every one wants big or lots its no wonder lakes become depleted.As far as 3 not feeding 2 people thats ridicules if the fish is to skinny release it just because you have tags does not mean you have it keep the first 3 fish in that size you catch.If they did set the limit to 2 over 50 then you would want 3 over 50 be happy with what you have and enjoy the sport for what it is....
Old 03-25-2011, 06:04 PM

Default slot limit

This whole province should have a slot limit 2 under 43 and 1 over 60 then we could keep all the breeding stock and still be able to harvest if we choose too!
Old 03-25-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyfitt View Post
This whole province should have a slot limit 2 under 43 and 1 over 60 then we could keep all the breeding stock and still be able to harvest if we choose too!
That would be great, but sadly we have too many greedy people and our populations wouldn't be able to handle that kind of pressure. Some of these smaller lakes would have the slot size fished out in no time.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 03-25-2011, 07:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
That would be great, but sadly we have too many greedy people and our populations wouldn't be able to handle that kind of pressure. Some of these smaller lakes would have the slot size fished out in no time.
100% agree will work in big water provinces like Ont. but to many good small lakes here
Old 03-25-2011, 07:12 PM

Default First Year

This is the First year I ever applied for special Walleye Draws.

I did the Class "A" for lake Newell.

I'll keep this first 50cm+ walleye I catch,then it's all about a wall hanger Eyeball for the house.I'm thinking something like 33" ,13.5 pounds
Probably wont happen but you just never know!!!
Old 03-25-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
This is why they set limits do checks and readjust limits and sizes every one wants big or lots its no wonder lakes become depleted.As far as 3 not feeding 2 people thats ridicules if the fish is to skinny release it just because you have tags does not mean you have it keep the first 3 fish in that size you catch.If they did set the limit to 2 over 50 then you would want 3 over 50 be happy with what you have and enjoy the sport for what it is....
Take a relax pill....your speaking to the converted. Notice the after thoughts and I did not say anything about 3 over 50. Thats your words now. Guy made a point and I threw out a suggestion.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Take a relax pill....your speaking to the converted. Notice the after thoughts and I did not say anything about 3 over 50. Thats your words now. Guy made a point and I threw out a suggestion.
Ya I noticed the after thoughts YOU want 5 tags instead of 3....Thats converted
Old 03-25-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Ya I noticed the after thoughts YOU want 5 tags instead of 3....Thats converted
No again you missed it, if a lake can support it. Or look at more tags per person but not increasing the total number. Again, depends on the lake.

Variety is the spice of life. I'll put you down for a no on that one.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
No again you missed it, if a lake can support it. Or look at more tags per person but not increasing the total number. Again, depends on the lake.

Variety is the spice of life. I'll put you down for a no on that one.
So you want to keep more fish but have less fishermen with the opportunity to keep any. Ya variety is the spice of life... But more for the few and none for the many.... is not variety.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:59 AM

Its all El-Toro poopoo anyways. They are still netting it right. One eye under 43 = 3 perch for meat if your lucky. LOL. 3 under 43 would barrly feed our family of four with two kids in there teens. My 18 year old boy would eat two of them himself if we let him. If your gonna limit the catch that much why not just close it and let mother nature do her thing. In some ways I support the tag system but in some ways not. If I was in charge of the system, all lakes would be closed for 5 out of the next 10 years on a rotating basis. Say closed for 2 or 3 then open for 1 or 2. Not even catch & release. I think C&R itself kills alot of fish. Perch should be closed for the next 3 to 5 years all Lakes.

Last edited by Kim473; 03-26-2011 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
Its all El-Toro poopoo anyways. They are still netting it right. One eye under 43 = 3 perch for meat if your lucky. LOL. 3 under 43 would barrly feed our family of four with two kids in there teens. My 18 year old boy would eat two of them himself if we let him. If your gonna limit the catch that much why not just close it and let mother nature do her thing. In some ways I support the tag system but in some ways not. If I was in charge of the system, all lakes would be closed for 5 out of the next 10 years on a rotating basis. Say closed for 2 or 3 then open for 1 or 2. Not even catch & release. I think C&R itself kills alot of fish. Perch should be closed for the next 3 to 5 years all Lakes.
I think the idea of closing lakes or species especially when it come to perch would increase numbers and not size. a problem we have in a lot of lakes in ponds now. Unfortunately I do believe you are right that catch and release does kill a lot of fish. Lake closures for some larger slow growing fish would be a good idea as long as the water can sustain the increase with growth and not just numbers. Did you get lucky at Isles for perch this year Kim?
Old 03-26-2011, 09:58 AM

Back when we(walleye Panel) closed walleye lakes it was brought up why are we not stocking walleye and managing the lake to productitivy..some lakes have better growth some don,t.. is the stocking issue still not in hatchery program.. and by the way the walleye lakes were shut down for 5-10 years.. so if you have big walleye will that change the demographics of lake re Lakewhites= one gains in food scale= one loses.. or does the balance stay the same ... food for thought
Old 03-26-2011, 10:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
Back when we(walleye Panel) closed walleye lakes it was brought up why are we not stocking walleye and managing the lake to productitivy..some lakes have better growth some don,t.. is the stocking issue still not in hatchery program.. and by the way the walleye lakes were shut down for 5-10 years.. so if you have big walleye will that change the demographics of lake re Lakewhites= one gains in food scale= one loses.. or does the balance stay the same ... food for thought
You bring up some interesting points will closing a lake increase the fish on an even balance. Or will some species reproduce at a greater rate due to genetics or will the predator fish over power the food source not only depleting a species but eventually stunting their own grow due to increased numbers and decreased food supply.There are so many variables to look at before a real solution can be found. Even then mother nature can throw in a twist, low water conditions,extreme weather hot or cold (winter kill-summer kill).definitely not an easy task.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:53 AM

agree
Old 03-26-2011, 02:45 PM

Boycot this walleye draw, its a lazy mans way of trying to manage the fish. This is easy money for the boys that manage the government pension plan. Slot size is the way to go, but Oh NO! thats to hard to manage, ya right.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:09 PM

Default re

I wouldn't feed my dog a fish out of that lake!!!
Old 03-26-2011, 04:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
Boycot this walleye draw, its a lazy mans way of trying to manage the fish. This is easy money for the boys that manage the government pension plan. Slot size is the way to go, but Oh NO! thats to hard to manage, ya right.
How would you manage a slot size limit on a lake the size of pigeon with the fishing pressure it gets...... Can't see it working
Old 03-27-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
How would you manage a slot size limit on a lake the size of pigeon with the fishing pressure it gets...... Can't see it working
I agree that slots limits would not work in Alberta primarily because it would be way too easy to target the "keeper sizes" within the limited number of water bodies we have in the province. Anglers would simply fish out the "keeper sizes" in on lake and then move onto the next. They tried it a number of years ago up in the Lakeland region and it was deemed unsuccessful. If you had 50 lakes within a 30 minute drive from one another slot limits would likely work great. We just don’t have enough water here for slot limits.

Tags are easily the way to go in my mind. You can manage the fishery way more accurately by conducting creel surveys each year for each water body and adjust available tags to be drawn accordingly.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:12 AM

Slot sizes on the vast majority of the lakes in Alberta would never work. Way too much fishing pressure.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
Just wondering if anyone noticed that they cut the Class B tags from Pigeon for 2011? First they cut the Class A, now Class B.
Pretty sad that we have a walleye fishery that has a ton of fish and they are only allowing the harvest of 43cm and under fish.
I'm surprised also. I have a P2 on a Class B tag and was planning to apply to be drawn on Pigeon this year. But I do agree with SNAP as I noticed that I also caught a fair number of smaller Walleye this winter thru the ice. Some would have been under 43cm. Not many but a few.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:38 AM

I had written a letter to the Minister several months ago on forced management for walleye and the disruption it has caused for other species. Lesser Slave is the perfect example. 20 years ago I used to catch some pretty decent perch there, I have not caught a perch in that lake in well over 15 years, even though I have fished it regularly. The minister replied saying he heard the perch fishing was good at Lesser Slave. I would sure like to know who his fishing buddies are because all the guys I know that live up there haven't caught perch in years either.

Good luck catching a walleye over 5lbs there, even thought the habitat is conducive to producing large walleye they have managed it in such a way that the lake can't support the fish numbers and they are starving, that's why they don't grow. Even the pike are suffering as the walleye are eating everything in the lake. Lesser Slave is polluted with walleye.

They have taken this model and have applied it to many other lakes, such as Pigeon, Sylvan etc. Seems all anyone cares about is producing walleye, even at the expense of other species. It's obsessive.

As far as the walleye "sport fishery" to each their own, I would rather catch 1 walleye and eat it then catch 100 and release them, that's just me I suppose. Now I am realistic, you can't have every guy that goes out keeping 5 walleyes every time, but 1 fish to eat probably wouldn't hurt.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhuntercentral View Post
I had written a letter to the Minister several months ago on forced management for walleye and the disruption it has caused for other species. Lesser Slave is the perfect example. 20 years ago I used to catch some pretty decent perch there, I have not caught a perch in that lake in well over 15 years, even though I have fished it regularly. The minister replied saying he heard the perch fishing was good at Lesser Slave. I would sure like to know who his fishing buddies are because all the guys I know that live up there haven't caught perch in years either.

Good luck catching a walleye over 5lbs there, even thought the habitat is conducive to producing large walleye they have managed it in such a way that the lake can't support the fish numbers and they are starving, that's why they don't grow. Even the pike are suffering as the walleye are eating everything in the lake. Lesser Slave is polluted with walleye.

They have taken this model and have applied it to many other lakes, such as Pigeon, Sylvan etc. Seems all anyone cares about is producing walleye, even at the expense of other species. It's obsessive.

As far as the walleye "sport fishery" to each their own, I would rather catch 1 walleye and eat it then catch 100 and release them, that's just me I suppose. Now I am realistic, you can't have every guy that goes out keeping 5 walleyes every time, but 1 fish to eat probably wouldn't hurt.
X2, pigeon lake used to be a excellent fishery for perch and whites.Whatever happened to the smaller whitefish that you would catch frequently at pigeon?
Old 03-27-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhuntercentral View Post
Lesser Slave is the perfect example. 20 years ago I used to catch some pretty decent perch there, I have not caught a perch in that lake in well over 15 years, even though I have fished it regularly. The minister replied saying he heard the perch fishing was good at Lesser Slave. I would sure like to know who his fishing buddies are because all the guys I know that live up there haven't caught perch in years either.
I know a few guys who regularly catch some monster perch out of Slave.
So they are there. The past few trips they have came home with their limits of Jumbos.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 03-27-2011, 04:54 PM

I will concede there are likely still some perch in Lesser Slave if you know where to go, no question, but I will say it's probably not as good as it was at one time. The key point i was trying to make I guess is this big push to manage for walleye exclusively with no consideration of other species. If anyone gave a crap about the pike or perch they would be on a draw too no? I can catch 20 walleye for every pike in Lesser Slave, I am sure many of the hard managed walleye lakes are the same.