Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-19-2009, 09:34 PM

Default How do they decide upon limit?

I can't figure out how they come up with limits in different water. Does it have to do with number of fish per amount of water?
Old 05-19-2009, 09:53 PM

no it is most likely decided by the population and health of fish
Old 05-19-2009, 10:26 PM

Unfortunately very little science ever went into this issue. Limits were passed on down through the years and only adjusted when fish stocks were noticeably harmed. For instance trout were once 10 per person when I was little. Probably more before then.

Over the years now almost every fish has been hurt. Cutts, bulls, perch, walleye, pike, lake whitefish, grayling...and very soon mountain whitefish will be seen as critically low and adversely affecting the health of large bull trout populations not to mention rainbow and browns.

Problem is too little money and not enough research. Limits can not fluctuate because real time information is lacking. There are a few places studied more that can manage better control of regulations but unfortunately Alberta believes in not putting money back into the sport. Your licence dollar goes into general revenue and not sustainable management. Once people wise up...regulations should vary by water body, lakes, rivers, segments even...only then will we see the benefit of better fishing. Until then over harvest and pillaging is the norm.

If you are referring to stocked lakes then there is a formula to use to help figure out what the lake will sustain. Then depending upon the fishing pressure and funding you may get additional stockings during the year.

All in all though I have always said the same thing. Alberta Fish & Wildlife has a group of excellent biologist itching to do the best thing for the fisheries... but they are short funding for research, technical help, time spread to thin to get even some of the basics done. In a nutshell they have to selectively target what they can and then try and implement change in a public environment that is often hostile to change do to a lack of understanding on the subject.

IMHO.

Last edited by Sundancefisher; 05-20-2009 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:36 PM

Thanks for the info. I was looking at trout limits in some of the rivers, even though I catch and release, I thought I might have more luck at a river with a higher limit.