Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-11-2015, 03:29 PM

Default Ladder Tree Stand on Crown Land

Do you guys reccomend setting up a ladder tree stand on crown land? Would it be alot of work to set up and take down all the time And of so is it worth it? Just wondering people's thoughts. Thanks.
Old 04-11-2015, 04:06 PM

Theres lots of thieving bastards out there unfortunately do so at your own risk and try and secure it well.
Old 04-11-2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Theres lots of thieving bastards out there unfortunately do so at your own risk and try and secure it well.
Isn't that the trurh !!On crown land I only use a portable lock on treestand and I remove it each time I leave . If I plan on coming back soon to hunt the same stand I may leave the steps in , much cheaper to replace than a stand if they go missing .
Old 04-11-2015, 07:19 PM

Crown land or private land......no difference.......thieves are everywhere. I leave hang on stands on crown land all season. I use climbing sticks to get up and down and I take those in/out with me. I also cable lock my stands to the tree. You have to make it difficult for the lazy thieves. The trouble with a ladder stand, being so big and awkward, you probably want to put it somewhere where you can quad right up to........that right there is the problem. You're an easy target for lazy thieves on quads..........drive right up to your ladder stand and load it on their quad. If you can get it well off the beaten trail, only dedicated thieves will find your stand........there are fewer of them
Old 04-11-2015, 09:22 PM

If people can see it some people, if you can call them people will steal it. They will cut chains, cut locks, ect. Its a risk.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:27 AM

That's one of the best things about a climbing stand. You take it in and take it out. Don't have to worry about someone stealing it. No climbing pegs or ladders to deal with. All you need is a folding saw and your stand.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:33 AM

I second the climbing sticks and hang on stands. The lone wolf climbing sticks are worth their weight in gold. It saves somebody else from shooting the buck or doe that would've been yours too. Happy hunting
Old 04-13-2015, 07:49 AM

I like Ladder stands so use them a lot...most of mine are on walk in land only so its a little harder for them to pack out...Having a buddy help out the ladder stands can be carried in like a stretcher ..easier than it sounds

Comfort is worth it...

We dont bother chaining them as if they want them they will get them...we have lost a couple of perfect trees ...as they cut tree to steal stand that had removable steps and it was chained...

Neil