Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-08-2009, 03:07 PM

Default Walleye Stability in Pigeon

Just wondering what opinions you guys have on the stabillatiy of the wallies in Pigeon. I have heard some varying ideas including one F&W officer who said he gave the lake 6-7 years before there were no walleye left. There are a tonne of fish in there but when I think about it I can't remember in the last time I caught anything smaller than the 40cm range. Would think this points to not much spawning going on or at least small numbers of new fish.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:15 PM

I think it will be lucky to last 6 or 7 years. It is tough to maintain the Walleye population with no proper spawn taking place in the lake.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:25 PM

i've caughta few wee eyes there, but not enough to assume that the population can self sustain. that being said, the fish that are born there will spawn there, we just need to hope that the little guys are scared to get in the way of the bigger ones and that there are more in there than we know about
cheers
Old 05-09-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkfisher View Post
i've caughta few wee eyes there, but not enough to assume that the population can self sustain. that being said, the fish that are born there will spawn there, we just need to hope that the little guys are scared to get in the way of the bigger ones and that there are more in there than we know about
cheers
I'm with SHF on this one. For the first time ever for me, ice fishing this past season I caught several walleye that were under 12 inches. The smallest was about 7 inches....now that is small. No doubt born from spawning the previous year. As more fish are removed due to the tag system I suspect we will see better results - I am guessing, that is what I am pinning my sightings on.