Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-04-2014, 02:29 PM
Banned

The shawinigan handshake
Old 02-04-2014, 02:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
"I'd rather be lucky than good." (the great Lefty Gomez)

Stephen Harper. Luckiest AND Greatest PM ever. Will the list quit growing?
You might have wanted to note that the Transparency International rating for Canada has been dropping ever since the Conservatives won a majority.

If the index is a fair representation of the PM's greatness,...he is now tied with the Paul Martin in the last year that the Liberals were the government elect.

I don't know about you Rugs... but I would not be bragging to folks that my countries rating had been slipping for the last few years to the point that I now tie the SECOND loser after the NDP of the race that resulted in a change in government.

Just saying... if the numbers and trends mean anything.... it might be that they foretell the end of an era and a significant change in government.
Twas I Mr Harper... I'd probably appreciate it if you just kept that under your hat.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post
Well when the Amercan economy was going down the tubes Canada was by far in better shape.I don`t know if that was him or just better banking practices here but we came out better than them and pretty much every European country.
If I'm not mistaken, Harper suspended (prorogued) government twice during the peak of the recession, therefore the government made no actions during that time. He rode the on the strength of previously implemented legislation. Legislation implemented under Liberal Majorities.

Not sure what Harper 'did' during the recession that brought us though it... oh wait, it's obvious. He did nothing, he did not interfere in the systems that were in place, he did not make any major changes to financial legislation, and he did not in initiate anything new during the recession. He said we're not going to do anything and I'm going to make sure we do nothing because the guys before me had it right.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 02-04-2014, 06:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post
If I'm not mistaken, Harper suspended (prorogued) government twice during the peak of the recession, therefore the government made no actions during that time. He rode the on the strength of previously implemented legislation. Legislation implemented under Liberal Majorities.

Not sure what Harper 'did' during the recession that brought us though it... oh wait, it's obvious. He did nothing, he did not interfere in the systems that were in place, he did not make any major changes to financial legislation, and he did not in initiate anything new during the recession. He said we're not going to do anything and I'm going to make sure we do nothing because the guys before me had it right.
Hmmmm.... when he said it.... it sounded so much more clever than that.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:25 PM
Gone Hunting

^^^^...you boys don't remember why he prorogued parliament one of those times??? Think it had something to do with an attempted coup????? orchestrated by both your beloved leaders.....
Old 02-04-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:

If I am not mistaken, the previous Liberal majority enjoyed a surplus of finances due almost entirely as a result of the GST implemented by Brian Mulroney.

BTW the reduction of the GST from 7 to 5% was a huge mistake IMO. GST exemption and rebates make it an effective tool to garner government income without negatively effecting low income Canadians.

The extra 2% would certainly come in handy paying for the economic recession and weather damage we have experienced.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:25 PM
Banned

I think the Harper lead Conservatives have done a good job considering the challenges the government has faced.No Canadian banks have had to be bailed out or other financial institutions (Lehman Bothers) in the USA nor has the government resorted to printing money year over year as the USA has done through "quantitative easing" which is essentially printing money.

In the grand scheme of things the big elephant in the political room is the supposed "Senate Scandal" which has been dragged on and done over far worse then the witch hunt trials in Salem way back when by the leftist media.
It is a pathetic joke to compare 5 individuals who had an attitude of entitlement and therefore abused the system (or lack there of) and symplify it and enlarge it and try and make it as comparable to the theft of 250 million dollars of tax payers money which is what the "Sponsorship Scandal" was.And less than 1 million compared to thet is a drop in the bucket.If those Senators had a piece of paper clearly saying "Abuse the system and act like you are royalty and dont worry about it" and it was signed BY Stephen Harper I would be ****ed off but that is not the case.

My prediction for the next Federal election is that the ******* Mulcair(nobody trusts men with beards) will have his ass handed to him by Trudeau who will take up residence at Stornaway.The Average Canadian is just not stupid enough to elect Trudeau into the top job as Prime Minister.Mulcair will get the boot though and a huge wake up call in Quebec with a ressurgent Bloc gaing more seats.

FTH
Old 02-04-2014, 07:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
^^^^...you boys don't remember why he prorogued parliament one of those times??? Think it had something to do with an attempted coup????? orchestrated by both your beloved leaders.....

Coupe?

Right... like the one that happened when all those reformers crossed the floor...a couple years earlier....including your current man-crush?.

Try again Hal.

Once elected... MP's can pretty much ally themselves with whoever they want.

Once again proving my point that party politics is for suckers.

The way ahead is independant MP's or an independant west.

Oh and not that it really matters but two things...

One... Once again...I do not support any of the big 3. They are all equal in their idiocy and dishonesty in my eyes.

Two... try to keep up.... neither Trudeau nor Mulclair led their parties when your imagined coupe occured.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:44 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post
Coupe?

Right... like the one that happened when all those reformers crossed the floor...a couple years earlier....including your current man-crush?.

Try again Hal.

Once elected MP's can pretty much ally themselves with whoever they want.

Once again proving my point that party politics is for suckers.

The way ahead is independant MP's or an independant west.

Oh and not that it really matters but two things...

One... Once again...I do not support any of the big 3. they are all euqal in their idiocy in my eyes.

Two... try to keep up.... neither Trudeau nor Mulclair led their parties when your imagined coupe occured.
coupe!!??? you should try to keep up instead of thinking it is a race to post on every thread on the board, if you recall, I stated I am not a Harper fan, but he is light years ahead of those other buffoons. I also don't give a darn who the leader of either party was during that BS!! If you think casting your vote for an Independent will change the country, you have confirmed my suspicions.. maybe phone the guy who you seem to believe is the Great Anointed One, and convince him to run as an Independent.Good Night!

Last edited by hal53; 02-04-2014 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
If I am not mistaken, the previous Liberal majority enjoyed a surplus of finances due almost entirely as a result of the GST implemented by Brian Mulroney.

BTW the reduction of the GST from 7 to 5% was a huge mistake IMO. GST exemption and rebates make it an effective tool to garner government income without negatively effecting low income Canadians.

The extra 2% would certainly come in handy paying for the economic recession and weather damage we have experienced.

You are not mistaken and its a good thing they backed out of abolishing it under the circumstances that he left behind.
Much as I hate it... the GST probably saved our bacon but then again... they did not create the requirement in the first place... they just inherited it.

Don't get me wrong... I didn't miss the Liberals when they tanked any more than I missed Mulrooney.

Under the current system and the way most of us vote... the best we seem to be able to hope for is a government that doesn't do too much because whenever they do...it turns to chit.

We simply oust one set of idiots that create bad legislation and replace them with a new set of idiots who do the same thing....all to benefit the party and their friends.

It's be nice if we could manage to find politicians that are interested in doing what is right by voters for a change but there do not seem to be any to be had in the 3 choices most people habotually gravitate towards.

Alberta is a perfect example of this... look what happens over time when you put all your faith in a party.
Of course having so much political clout in two cities doesn't help either. Just like having so much political clout in two provinces does nothing to help the rest of us.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:

I believe the figure that was flying around was $220 million for the pulp mill company I work for. Green money or some other silly moniker was attached to it. Saved our bacon.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:19 PM

Your just trolling for blind badgers with woodys for Harper.

You caught a big one. Stuffed or mounted?
Old 02-04-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post
Well when the Amercan economy was going down the tubes Canada was by far in better shape.I don`t know if that was him or just better banking practices here but we came out better than them and pretty much every European country.
The liberals fended off the pre 2008 deregulation lobbying by bay street the said up yours about competing in international banking your making record profits. The media never paid any attention to that
Old 02-04-2014, 08:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
coupe!!??? you should try to keep up instead of thinking it is a race to post on every thread on the board, if you recall, I stated I am not a Harper fan, but he is light years ahead of those other buffoons. I also don't give a darn who the leader of either party was during that BS!! If you think casting your vote for an Independent will change the country, you have confirmed my suspicions.. maybe phone the guy who you seem to believe is the Great Anointed One, and convince him to run as an Independent.Good Night!
Hal...what part of I am not casting another vote for a party politician do you not understand?
I am not choosing between a commie, a guy riding on daddys coat tails and a fascist.

I choose independant or independance.

Quit jumping to conclusions just because I am honest enough to say the unsayable and speak the inspeakable.
Its not my fault that you are not prepared for the truth.

You see and believe what you choose to see and believe.
So do the Libs and Dips.... everyone has their sacred cow and nobody wants to hear that theirs is no different than the others but in the end... they are not.

If we put bags on these guys heads and disguised their voices... by the end of day one even they wouldn't be able to tell each other appart.

The game is rigged buddy... and the Liberals, the Conservatives and yes even the Dippers keep it that way by appeasing central Canada and giving guys like you just enough hope to keep you hanging on.

Your insistance upon attacking other voters for having a different view just enables them to continue their grand game of divide (the voters) and conquer.

I just put Canada and Canadians and dare I say it...westerners before political parties.
You don't... I disagree with that but that does not mean that you are a bad person any more than my feeling that there is no future in party politics makes me one.

A lot of highly respected politicians... notably conservative in thought have experessed the same sentiment.

You do not have to support the Conservative Party to be a Conservative any more than you have to be a horse to appreciate a comfortable saddle.
Not supporting the Consevative Party or their leader does not automatically make someone a Dipper or a Liberal.

Its not the ideology of individual parties that has held us back...especially in the west... its partisanship and the wedges driven between us by politicians whose first loyalty is to their party and securing enough money to run again.

Harper is one of them...and since he is the PM right now... he gets the lions share of my attention.
If it was Mulclair or Trudeau... he'd get the same thing as Cretian did.
Conversley when one of them does something notable and worthy or just plain clever... I fairly give them their due.

I do not believe in playing favorites.
You do but thats hardly an excuse to get yourself all worked up about it and start making assumptions based upon how you do bussiness.

There are more choices out there than the choice between right and left or black and white... even though you seem reluctant to believe that.

And you have a good night to.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post
Hal...what part of I am not casting another vote for a party politician do you not understand?
I am not choosing between a commie, a guy riding on daddys coat tails and a fascist.

I choose independant or independance.

Quit jumping to conclusions just because I am honest enough to say the unsayable and speak the inspeakable.
Its not my fault that you are not prepared for the truth.

You see and believe what you choose to see and believe.
So do the Libs and Dips.... everyone has their sacred cow and nobody wants to hear that theirs is no different than the others but in the end... they are not.

If we put bags on these guys heads and disguised their voices... by the end of day one even they wouldn't be able to tell each other appart.

The game is rigged buddy... and the Liberals, the Conservatives and yes even the Dippers keep it that way by appeasing central Canada and giving guys like you just enough hope to keep you hanging on.

Your insistance upon attacking other voters for having a different view just enables them to continue their grand game of divide (the voters) and conquer.

I just put Canada and Canadians and dare I say it...westerners before political parties.
You don't... I disagree with that but that does not mean that you are a bad person any more than my feeling that there is no future in party politics makes me one.

A lot of highly respected politicians... notably conservative in thought have experessed the same sentiment.

You do not have to support the Conservative Party to be a Conservative any more than you have to be a horse to appreciate a comfortable saddle.
Not supporting the Consevative Party or their leader does not automatically make someone a Dipper or a Liberal.

Its not the ideology of individual parties that has held us back...especially in the west... its partisanship and the wedges driven between us by politicians whose first loyalty is to their party and securing enough money to run again.

Harper is one of them...and since he is the PM right now... he gets the lions share of my attention.
If it was Mulclair or Trudeau... he'd get the same thing as Cretian did.
Conversley when one of them does something notable and worthy or just plain clever... I fairly give them their due.

I do not believe in playing favorites.
You do but thats hardly an excuse to get yourself all worked up about it and start making assumptions based upon how you do bussiness.

There are more choices out there than the choice between right and left or black and white... even though you seem reluctant to believe that.

And you have a good night to.
Well said, Harpers not even in the top ten PM's.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by btridge View Post
Well said, Harpers not even in the top ten PM's.
We've really only ever had a couple of truely good PM's the rest have been... less than inspirational.
I'd be hard pressed to find 10 Canadian politicians period... that I thought were deserving of being called great....in any category.