Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-04-2017, 01:18 PM

Default Kidney Stones

Curious to know if anyone on here has had a bout with kidney stones? Had a recent issue with stones right before leaving to Germany for 10 days, wasn't the best start to a holiday!!
Old 12-04-2017, 01:44 PM
Banned

Been there done that
Worse than anything I have ever been through
Wound up in the emergency room. 2 shots morphine did nothing. Finally got intervenus Turdol. That fixed me right up
I have a prescription I filled and never go to far without it
Old 12-04-2017, 01:45 PM

Yes, worst pain I have ever had.

About two years ago I woke up at 4 in the morning with a terrible pain in my lower back that radiated through my entire core. At first I thought it was just something I ate, so I got up walked around, went to the bathroom. After about 30 minutes I realized this was not normal and drove to the hospital. I told them what I felt, and they asked if I had ever had kidney stones before, I said no. They asked for my information and I handed them my Health Card and Driver's License, at this point I couldn't even talk I was in so much pain. They took me in and gave me some pain killer and I finally got some relief. They said the pain was because the stone was passing from my kidney to my bladder and it should pass. They gave me a strainer to wiz through so they could test the stone to see what was going on. I did it, it passed, and I survived.

Had to get an ultrasound done to see if there was anymore, they phoned me up and said I still had 3 in there and they found a dark spot on my kidney. Insert the ol F word. They asked for me to get an MRI done to see what was going on, luckily it just turned out my pancreas was casting a shadow on my kidney.

As for the stone, doctor said I was dehydrated and needed to be drinking 3-4L of water a day which I wasn't even close to before, and unfortunately still don't hit that goal.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:53 PM

I have had a couple babies lol (They say a male passing stones is somewhat equivalent to women giving birth).

My pain has always been when it travels from kidney to the bladder. I can actually feel that little shard moving down the line as the pain moves. Once in the bladder, nothing. I have drank so much water by then, it has always flushed them out without a hint of pain. I have a rt kidney that builds stones in one location. The worst possible place as it just stays their and gets bigger. They try to shock wave it but all it does is fracture and then I get a few incidents in the next year when a "piece" breaks free and I find myself in the fetal position for a couple hours while things move through. Even a few Ty 3 will only dull the pain at that point. Couple friends have attacks that take days to move through. I am lucky that mine are fairly quick.

Unfortunately for me, the only thing that gets rid of my stone is a laser blast. You can guess how they get in to do that. My second tenant is soon to be evicted. Most likely sometime in early 2018 from what the ultra sounds show. Good thing is, once that stone is gone, I have no pain for years. I seem to flush the tiny ones fairly quick.

Kidney stones are not fun. I can almost predict when a attack is coming from the way I feel in the am, by about 6 to 8 hrs later, I'm looking for a cool place on the basement floor to go through the motions lol.

Drink lots of water daily, I have since I had my first attack, it really helps to flush the little buggers through before they get big enough to hurt.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
I have had a couple babies lol (They say a male passing stones is somewhat equivalent to women giving birth).

My pain has always been when it travels from kidney to the bladder. I can actually feel that little shard moving down the line as the pain moves. Once in the bladder, nothing. I have drank so much water by then, it has always flushed them out without a hint of pain. I have a rt kidney that builds stones in one location. The worst possible place as it just stays their and gets bigger. They try to shock wave it but all it does is fracture and then I get a few incidents in the next year when a "piece" breaks free and I find myself in the fetal position for a couple hours while things move through. Even a few Ty 3 will only dull the pain at that point. Couple friends have attacks that take days to move through. I am lucky that mine are fairly quick.

Unfortunately for me, the only thing that gets rid of my stone is a laser blast. You can guess how they get in to do that. My second tenant is soon to be evicted. Most likely sometime in early 2018 from what the ultra sounds show.

Kidney stones are not fun. I can almost predict when a attack is coming from the way I feel in the am, by about 6 to 8 hrs later, I'm looking for a cool place on the basement floor to go through the motions lol.

Drink lots of water daily, I have since I had my first attack, it really helps to flush the little buggers through before they get big enough to hurt.
Ive had a couple females tell me they hurt worse than giving birth
Old 12-04-2017, 01:57 PM

Yes and they are just plain terrible do deal with. Hopefully never again.
Old 12-04-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlightlyDistracting View Post
Ive had a couple females tell me they hurt worse than giving birth
Same here
Old 12-04-2017, 02:39 PM

For mine they had to go inside, break them up and then suck them out. They went up the you know what to do that. Worst day of my life.
Old 12-04-2017, 02:43 PM

^ Yep I've had two ureteroscopies, three times lithotripsy and peed out a few beauts. I fall into the "Stone-producer" category, more to come, yay!
Old 12-04-2017, 03:13 PM

I've had more than a dozen and each time I heat up a magic bag and put it where the pain is the worst and within an hour or so I'm good to go.The hotter the better
Old 12-04-2017, 03:18 PM

For the young guys reading this thread....

Take time to educate yourself on the foods you eat for kidney health. It may save you giving birth to the devil's seed when you are 50. Foods that are promoted as very good for you can also be high in oxalates which can contribute to the formation of kidney stones. Moderation and education might save you a painful future.

https://kidneystones.uchicago.edu/ho...-oxalate-diet/
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 12-04-2017, 03:42 PM

Hi 07icanam,

If you click on "Search" on the top headings and type in Kidney stones you will see many threads for information on kidney stones. I feel your pain been there done that over a dozen times. I hope you are feeling better!
Old 12-04-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollfin View Post
Hi 07icanam,

If you click on "Search" on the top headings and type in Kidney stones you will see many threads for information on kidney stones. I feel your pain been there done that over a dozen times. I hope you are feeling better!
I did that right after I posted this thread and turns out I posted on one about 10 years ago.

I did have problems years ago and had them pass without surgery, unfortunately this time I had to get them blasted with a laser. Went into surgery at 11:00 in the evening and was on a plane to Germany at 5:50 the next day. Was a pretty uncomfortable plane ride!!!

They had to put a stent in and I go in on Wednesday to have it removed which I am not looking forward to. However I have heard as soon as that stent is removed its an instant relief. I am hoping this is the case as this stent has been driving me crazy!!!
Old 12-04-2017, 06:37 PM
Banned

I workout 6 to 7 days week. Ive never been in better shape. Im still on the shy side of 40.
I contribute my kidney stones from consuming to much creatine. Since I make it a point to drink 4 litres of water a day. No problems since I increased my water intake even more.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07icanam View Post
I did that right after I posted this thread and turns out I posted on one about 10 years ago.

I did have problems years ago and had them pass without surgery, unfortunately this time I had to get them blasted with a laser. Went into surgery at 11:00 in the evening and was on a plane to Germany at 5:50 the next day. Was a pretty uncomfortable plane ride!!!

They had to put a stent in and I go in on Wednesday to have it removed which I am not looking forward to. However I have heard as soon as that stent is removed its an instant relief. I am hoping this is the case as this stent has been driving me crazy!!!
If that's the one that goes between the bladder and the outside world, you can pull it out yourself, but be prepared to make funny noises and/or barf.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07icanam View Post

Kidney stones suck, how awful a plane ride after laser treatment! WOW! I can't imagine. Thankfully I have never had to have a stent in and haven't had a stone for awhile. I make calcium oxalate and since I have stopped drinking all pop except for Coke Zero and started drinking coffee I have been stone free. Knock on wood. Its funny how we both posted about stones a long while ago. Good luck and I hope you don't get anymore stones!
Old 12-04-2017, 11:36 PM

Nice to hear I’m not alone. My first one was in 2007. Next one was 2010 and it was sonically broken followed by a basket extraction. Uuuugh. Seems to be one every year or two since then. I always end up in so much pain I start vomiting. Pop is the culprit for mine. I’m bad for it. I give it up for a while and then have one, before you know it I have a bag of 2L recyclables in the garage and a pain in my lower back working it’s way to my groin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2017, 12:15 AM

I used to think gout was the most painful thing to experience...wrong! I had to go to the ER and the pain was so bad that I was vomiting.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:58 AM

I had to take an ambulance ride to the ER last summer when I suddenly got severe abdominal pain. I asked my doctor if he thought it might be kidney stones, but he wasn't listening. He misdiagnosed it as constipation and sent me home with a fleet kit. A few days later I was back. Doctor was too busy to see me so the nurses gave me another fleet and sent me home. All the while in excruciating pain. A few days later and for the next week I passed 7 kidney stones. They were small at first and got larger, the more that passed. The last one came out with a whole lot of blood. I changed doctors, needless to say.
Once the little bastards get to your bladder, the hard part is over. Peeing them out is nothing. I did have an ultrasound to see if there were any more, and they said yes, there's one more and it's nearly half an inch long. Joy.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSlam View Post
I used to think gout was the most painful thing to experience...wrong! I had to go to the ER and the pain was so bad that I was vomiting.
Me too. Then an ambulance ride to the ER
Had to clean it up when I got home too
Old 12-05-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
If that's the one that goes between the bladder and the outside world, you can pull it out yourself, but be prepared to make funny noises and/or barf.
Been there, big breath in when the doc pulled out that spaghetti noodle lol. Next one I will pull myself and not waste time going in, but with my luck, it will break
Old 12-05-2017, 10:31 AM

I keep a couple of old oxy and gravol pills handy. It seems to help through the worst of pain of passing them. Generally when I do some very heavy lifting like logs etc it tends to move the stones from kidneys to bladder.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Been there, big breath in when the doc pulled out that spaghetti noodle lol. Next one I will pull myself and not waste time going in, but with my luck, it will break
I drank a wagon load of beer, told the wife to take the kids for a walk, got in the shower once I couldn't hold my pee in any longer and pulled the coil as I was peeing in one steady motion. And boy did I holler. Felt great right away afterward.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
For mine they had to go inside, break them up and then suck them out. They went up the you know what to do that. Worst day of my life.
Twice for me also. But they didn't suck them out. I had to pee out the broken pieces. I was doing some squeeling while I was peeing.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:15 PM

Default Dont assume

Fortunately I have never had stones. Was diagnosed with them in 2010 and sent home with a small envelope of T3's after morphine shot for pain which was not only like someone had stabbed me in the lower back but was still twisting the knife for an hour. Regional hospital told me if the pain was still there the next day come back to see them when all the t3's were done.

I went home had a hot shower positioning the water flow on my lower back as that relieved the pain a bit but as soon as I came out I was on my knees with pain and told my wife she had to take me back to emergency even though they didnt want to see me. Emergency had no clue what to do but felt after 2 shots of morphine and 4 T3's I shouldnt even be conscious never mind in pain. They sent me by ambulance to Peter Loughheed fearing something was really wrong.
Chief vascular surgeon was in building when I was brought in for c scan due to another emergency at 4 AM and confirmed I had been bleeding internally for 6 hours as an abdominal aneurysm had burst. The pooling of that much blood was causing the low back pain while it choked off blood supply to organs. Mostly AAA (abdominal aortic aneurism) are misdiagnosed as stones and the true cause found at autopsy with a survival rate of around 10%. I had been lucky as the aneurism had burst with a flap of artery facing the abdomen so the pressure of my stomach and intestines had been trying to hold the flap closed. Although very serious the surgeon assured me he thought I would be OK. I woke up 2 days later in intensive care having lost so much blood that my intestines and stomach had stopped working.
Three weeks later I was discharged but took nearly a year to fully recover. I had lost 40 pounds in just under a month. A dentist we knew was golfing in Kananaskis the following weekend and had collapsed on the golf course. His aneurism burst on the spine side with no flow restriction and he bled out in 20 minutes on way to Calgary in ambulance.
The symptoms I was describing to emergency staff were exactly like kidney or gall stones hence the missed diagnosis. In hindsight I think the difference I had forgotten to describe was a sensation of "flow" and even the sensation of piece of artery "flapping".
Not relevant to this thread but I dont want anyone to just assume it is stones when it could be something more serious. My dad had kidney stones at about 58 (same age as me) as as soon as I mentioned that in hospital they seemed to assume that is what I had. Had I fallen asleep from the morphine and T3's that night I would have never awakened.