Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-12-2018, 08:09 AM

Default Antlered Moose WMU 503 general inquiries

I drew late season (Nov 1-30) bull moose in the 503.

Now, I was not expecting to draw such a tag (moose) so early into my hunting years. This will be my 4th year hunting and I have only been putting draws in for 2 years. This being said I am still just barely learning the draw system never mind the hunting system.
Anyways, I have sufficient experience outdoors as grew up partaking actively the outdoors and backcountry. And have so far been blessed with success each year I have so far hunted and have successfully been able to fill the freezer and even a wall mounted whitetale.

So my inquiry into the 503 is specifically bull moose, and hunter landowner relationships.
I in my lack of experience with the draw system out in for the 503 which is a zone 8 hours away.
That being said I decided to put in there as that is where my father has lived for the last 15 years. So I have been to the area ample times, and have spent a decent amount of time in the area and have myself seen what appears to be healthy game populations as well as a family home there for stopping grounds if and when needed.

Yet as I do not live in the area myself, and that vast majority of the wmu is private with little lease land and little crown land, I obviously have not had the opportunity to establish relationships myself with any landowners.
So my question is (as so far I have read negative reviews on the area with hunter landowner relationships) how is the landowner disposition towards hunters, specifically late season bull moose hunters? I don’t mind putting in the leg work and even allotting an extra week if need be to help secure permission where needed, and my father has said he and his wife who grew up there will be asking around for me as well.

Would the area be best hunted focusing on the private or should my focus be in the green? I’m concerned the small blocks of crown might be busy due to the whitetale season in the crown.
Anyone have experience if the area and specifically the crown sections in the 503 get swamped in the late season? And where should one focus his energy trying to find these late season bulls in the zone? North,south, etc?
Certainly NOT looking for spots. Just looking for general direction.

Secondly, what should I guy expect for the hows of hunting the area. I do not currently own a quad, and I’m wondering if in such a zone this would be a huge negative for hunting the area, but I also am concerned weather dependant on wether a quad can get through allot of the area if not frozen solid.
I have no issues with putting 20+km a day on the boots, that I can do, but am also concerned about the retrieval of a bull deep in the bush by foot alone. However being late season I expect the temperatures should be in my favour for having the time needed for retrieval.

Have a nice hunting rig. But can also stay at my dads place and take a different vehicle up as well. Have a good 4x4, winch, tire chains, and a good old hard sided pop up camper in the back I rebuilt. Warm, and goes anywhere the truck would go without it in the box.
So I can camp in the bush someplace and hunt on foot, or move locations by truck, or stay at my dads and hunt and just head out from there each morning.

Thirdly, as I am relatively new to hunting, and again was not expecting to draw a moose tag so early, I have allot of research to do on moose hunting between now and then. Anyone have any pointers or information on what would be the best tactics (for the area) when it comes to these late season bulls? I have heard incredibly hard to find, but relatively simple to hunt if you do find them, as they are I bachelor groups and not doing much moving around and staying relatively close to where you have found them...additionally I will be coupling the moose hunt with general whitetale since I’m hunting anyways and have heard and seen myself some nice bucks up in that area... but whitetale will be secondary, happenstance, and not the purpose or priority.

Anyways, sorry for the length of post. I welcome all and any information, criticism, guidance or advice on the area and the game in the area.

Thanks!