Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-03-2012, 06:40 PM

Default Bowhunting Moose

Hey Guys,
I've decided to focus on buwhunting for moose a bit this year in September/October and just wonder about any calling experieinces, setups, and tips that have worked in the past for everyone. I've shot 2 so far while calling (bull grunts) while still hunting, but think I might either be overcalling, or not hunting each setup long enough. How many setups do you guys get in a day? How long to give each area a try? Any treestand hunters, or are most guys mobile on the ground calling with moose?
Old 07-03-2012, 06:48 PM

What works for me is grunting three times and then about 5-7 minutes break. I mostly hike and glass cut-blocks and high spots. Gettingaround ad hiking might be a challenge with a bow but you give it a try - very exciting. In mid-rut you could really call whenever youwant because they are so deficient.
-Coniferous
Old 07-03-2012, 07:07 PM

I walk slowly, and sit once in a while, it depends how I feel. I cow call every 20 minutes for the first and last 2 hours of the day. Mid day much less maybe every 45 minutes.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:18 PM

Default Moose

If you get a bull answer, he knows exactly where your call came from. Its his living room, he knows the terrain. Very often he will come straight until the last 200 yards, where he will circle to get wind of the calling, to know if there is a larger bull or any thing else. When I get a answer I go to meet him before he starts to circle, pick my ambush site for visibility, ease of getting meat out, ect. If he comes late, most times he will not be far in the morning. Often we all make our own luck.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlercarver View Post
If you get a bull answer, he knows exactly where your call came from. Its his living room, he knows the terrain. Very often he will come straight until the last 200 yards, where he will circle to get wind of the calling, to know if there is a larger bull or any thing else. When I get a answer I go to meet him before he starts to circle, pick my ambush site for visibility, ease of getting meat out, ect. If he comes late, most times he will not be far in the morning. Often we all make our own luck.
X2

same thing last fall in Cape Breton. Called good part of the morning, finally got a response, and started making our way to him, 30 min later there was nothing but fur and antlers on the ground. First ever moose hunting trip. Was no trophy in Jim Shockeys eyes, but he was in mine. 9 point bull, just around 500lbs of meat between 3 guys, 12 hours before a hurricane pushed in on the second day. Excelent time.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:00 AM
Gone Hunting

antlercarver said: Often we all make our own luck.

Just had to comment on that statement. How true it is. If you go out in the woods hoping to be lucky and get your moose you have little chance at success. And even if you do bump into one and make a "lucky" shot will there really be much joy in that?

"I'd rather be good than lucky"

The amount of preparation and knowledge and hard work that goes into a hunt will have a big effect on the satisfaction and enjoyment of a successful hunt.

Now to the question. I have not shot many moose or called many in. But I have done a lot of game calling and talked to other moose hunters.

I think it more people call too little that call to much. If you are in good moose country (part of the preparation of the hunt) then call a lot. If you wait 20 min. between calls a bull can move into hearing range and then move out before it has a chance to hear you calling.

If you are on the move you will be making some noise as you walk along. Making a moose call now and then may make animals in the area think they are hearing a moose rather than a "something that could be dangerous"

The last moose I shot was a young bull who was with a cow and calf in November. I saw the cow/calf from a road so I parked 1/4 mile away and did a circle on them. I cow called a few times and they came to investigate. The little bull, that I didn't know was there, came too and I put a couple .300 savege bullets in him.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 07-04-2012, 10:13 PM

I think I need to do some hunting in late September and then hit it hard in early October. I've had good success calling around this time. Seems the weather does play a big factor in their movement and daytime activity.