Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-08-2014, 12:13 PM

Post instrumentation engineering technologist-thoughts?

Hey guys,
I posted a few days ago in regards to moving out to Alberta from Ontario. I have close to 4,000 hours working in electrical production, and was looking towards getting my industrial electrician red seal. After doing further research though it seems like my hours are gonna be not easily transferred for approval in Alberta. I am really set on working out west and establishing a new life for myself, I don't want to get the remaining hours needed for approval in Ontario.

I am wondering if any current instrumentation technologists in the field or people that know of people working in the field could comment here and give me some suggestions. The hours I have earned up to this point have been a good experience but I only learned what applied to that specific workplace. After taking some of the practice exams online for industrial electrician I only scored around 65%. I'm a 100% or nothing guy lol. I see school as helping to fill this 45% void, so I figured why stay here in Ontario when I can take the necessary schooling at SAIT or NAIT and enjoy the summer gap working a good job in Alberta. My plan is to fly out this spring, get a good labor job, and earn money for a vehicle/ food allowance for the year of school until the next summer comes around. Luckily I have money in an resp for tuition/rent so I got that covered.

After the two year technologist program how do the job prospects look? I like the fact I can work oil/gas but also branch off to mining or even utilities in case their is a downturn like 09 again. With the baby boomers starting to retire towards the end of this decade, how do you guys see the future for this career?

I see technology as developing rapidly into the future.Will this career choice keep pace with the times? I'm looking at the good $ now in the oil/gas industry but also want long term job security, as does anybody.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post fellow Canadians. Any and all input is appreciated!! Just want to get my priorities and head in the right place before making the big move.

Cheers!
Old 03-08-2014, 05:09 PM

YOu should be able to find a great job with your schooling here in Alberta. If you are young, put in your dues in some remote areas, gain valuable experience early while you have no responsibilities but yourself, stack away some $$$$.

Move up the ladder and be set for later.

Good luck.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:17 PM

Instrument technologists usually have no problems at all finding good jobs. Many companies like to hire them as instrument field techs. All of my instrument techs, are also instrumentation technologists
Old 03-08-2014, 06:36 PM

Thanks for the reply guys really appreciate the input!
Old 03-08-2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Instrument technologists usually have no problems at all finding good jobs. Many companies like to hire them as instrument field techs. All of myinstrument techs, are also instrumentation technologists
You mean the techs you're in charge of? Or do you own them?

It's a great career! Worth the investment!
Old 03-09-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giorgio23 View Post
Hey guys,
I posted a few days ago in regards to moving out to Alberta from Ontario. I have close to 4,000 hours working in electrical production, and was looking towards getting my industrial electrician red seal. After doing further research though it seems like my hours are gonna be not easily transferred for approval in Alberta. I am really set on working out west and establishing a new life for myself, I don't want to get the remaining hours needed for approval in Ontario.

I am wondering if any current instrumentation technologists in the field or people that know of people working in the field could comment here and give me some suggestions. The hours I have earned up to this point have been a good experience but I only learned what applied to that specific workplace. After taking some of the practice exams online for industrial electrician I only scored around 65%. I'm a 100% or nothing guy lol. I see school as helping to fill this 45% void...
A math upgrading would benefit most people.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
You mean the techs you're in charge of? Or do you own them?

It's a great career! Worth the investment!
The techs that I am in charge of, the last time that I checked, slavery was illegal.

Quote:
If you find math and physics easy, you shouldn't have any issues, if you struggle in those subjects, it might be a tough go for you. Typically around 40% of the applicants fail the technology courses.

When we are looking at hiring instrument field techs, we give extra consideration to instrument technologists, as they often turn out to be our best people.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5swedeforelk View Post
I meant to say 110%. My bad. Was rambling as I wrote this. Thanks for all the input guys!