Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2011, 05:21 PM

Default Help with RV power?

Hey guys
I'm buyin an old Mobile Treatment Center and converting it to a camper. I need both power and heat, and am a bit confused about the best way to go here. Its got 2 space heaters in it. 1 is electric and 1 runs off the engine. This would be plenty except I will almost never be in a campground where there is 30 amp plug in available to run everything, mostly out in the bush or on the frozen lakes.

So, I am looking for a cheap furnace, and found a gravity one that doesn't require power, or a forced air type that needs power for the blower. Since I'd like power anyways, the forced air type might be okay.

The extent of my understanding is that I will need a 12 volt (or 2 6volt) deep cycle batteries that are hooked into the current electrical setup, as well as an inverter. I would like to primarily charge the battery (s) via the alternator with the engine running, and have it completely bypass the engine battery so that I don't kill it when out in the bush or on the lake.

Can anyone explain to me a little better what I'm going to need to install this system, or point me to some resources for how to do it?

Thanks
Old 01-21-2011, 05:29 PM

were are u located?
Old 01-21-2011, 05:40 PM

I'm all over the map between Edmonton, Rocky, and Calgary.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:53 PM
Banned

Why not just get a portable generator and plug an electric heater into that?
Old 01-21-2011, 09:24 PM

I'm not familiar with those units.
So, doesn't sound like they come with propane furnaces.
Unless the price is right ( <1G ) I would consider getting an older truck camper. Thats if you haven't made the purchaes yet.
Doesn't really make sense to me to go thru that hassle getting that thing rigged unless it's cheap or free.
If the above applies then you should try to find an old rotten truck camper that u can get for a song and pull the radiant heater outta it and install into your rig. That would probably be lots of work as well but it's alot better than electric or forced air heat.
If you go electric you'll need a generator. And that makes no sense from a heat perpective as you'd have to run your genny for heat. Not practical.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:39 PM

i have set up a couple of these systems. you need to put a constant duty solenoid between the alternator and the deep cycle batteries, that is activated by keyed power. that way, the batteries are only linked together with the key on.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:02 AM

I would just invest in a good nice quiet generator/inverter and use electric heat.

Those forced air furnaces draw a lot of battery power and you need propane to run it as well.
Plus when those furnaces kick in they are noisy.

but I f remember correctly there used to be an RV wrecker in the Edmonton area, not sure if he is still around, or check out the bargainfinder (if it is still around)and or kijiji for a used furnace.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Why not just get a portable generator and plug an electric heater into that?
X2
Plug the whole unit in. You can run a tv and all other things. Can use it for back up at home too. More and more power outages around the country. Most can run for 8 hrs on less than 5 gallons of fuel and most are fairly quiet now.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:29 AM

I use a little Honda 2000 for my trailer. Not for heat but other stuff. I only have it about 10-12 feet from the trailer and ya can barely hear it.

Don't know how much power your electric heater requires so ya may need a bigger generator. I have a big 4400 as well.

Good luck.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com