Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-27-2017, 04:47 PM

Default Question for drone experts

I guess I am full of questions today.

I would love to hear which drone you would recommend. I am looking for something that can carry a go pro or has a camera. I only want to fly our small farm and film. I want to capture how the property changes through the seasons and over the years. Doesn’t have to be fancy but reliable. Easy to fly if there is such thing. I am computer savvy but never have used one.
Any recommendations??

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 11-27-2017, 04:58 PM

It will depend on your budget but check out DJI.
I have the Mavic, very easy to fly and have a great camera.
The are around $1k.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:01 PM

Budget. Right. Definitely under 1k. Much under if possible.

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 11-27-2017, 05:11 PM

Oh and if the answer is that for this budget there is none, that’s fine too

Old 11-27-2017, 05:19 PM

There's a $2,000 one with a brand-new high-definition GoPro on my land somewhere buddy took it for a flight and she never came back

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-27-2017, 05:39 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
There's a $2,000 one with a brand-new high-definition GoPro on my land somewhere buddy took it for a flight and she never came back

I’ll take it ;-)

Old 11-27-2017, 05:39 PM
Banned

DJI Spark...$600 and nearly flies itself
https://www.mcbaincamera.com/product...ain_id=3814440
Old 11-27-2017, 06:14 PM

I see some real cheap ones in the latest Canadian Tire flyer.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:01 PM

DJI Phantom 3 with 4K UHD camera for $770 Can on Gearbest.com
Old 11-27-2017, 08:21 PM

Really anything from DJI
Old 11-27-2017, 09:54 PM
Banned

The only EXPERT on drones is Ken07AOVette,, so you will to wait until he gets back from "banned-camp" This is like the teacher's pet getting a 3 day suspension <3
Old 11-27-2017, 11:20 PM
Banned

I have a mavic pro. I highly recommend it. Nice and compact. Good camera.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:52 AM

I seriously looked at the Mavic and ended up with a Spark. Price point and portability being my main criteria. In good light the camera is surprisingly decent.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 11-28-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post

Sounds a lot like the DJI Phantom 3 that I took for a spin on my cousins farm last year. I did a software upgrade then took it for a rip when it was foggy AND windy....my iPhone died mid flight and the bird never came home. My cousin found it this spring in the middle of a cow trail on his pasture....completely destroyed! Two props were all that was salvageable...
Old 11-28-2017, 08:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooter View Post
Sounds a lot like the DJI Phantom 3 that I took for a spin on my cousins farm last year. I did a software upgrade then took it for a rip when it was foggy AND windy....my iPhone died mid flight and the bird never came home. My cousin found it this spring in the middle of a cow trail on his pasture....completely destroyed! Two props were all that was salvageable...
On the other hand I have a client (gov't) who was using it for historical site video. Last fall it flew off and never came back (some of the Phantom 3's did this).
His dept name and phone # were inscribed. This spring a farmer called his office and said he'd found the drone.
So it spent all last winter buried in snow...he arranged pickup from the farmer, replaced the battery...and the thing worked perfectly.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:07 PM

I really like my DJI Mavic, but for a cheaper alternative look at the Dobby pocket drone.
https://www.amazon.ca/ZEROTECH-Defin...y+pocket+drone
I have a friend that is a professional photographer, and he gets amazing photos with his Dobby. I don't think the video quality would compare with the Mavic, but for the price, I would check it out. The Dobby is not as restricted by Transport Canada regulations because of it's light weight.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
I really like my DJI Mavic, but for a cheaper alternative look at the Dobby pocket drone.
https://www.amazon.ca/ZEROTECH-Defin...y+pocket+drone
I have a friend that is a professional photographer, and he gets amazing photos with his Dobby. I don't think the video quality would compare with the Mavic, but for the price, I would check it out. The Dobby is not as restricted by Transport Canada regulations because of it's light weight.
Thanks. I'll take a look!

Old 12-04-2017, 03:50 PM

(just for fun) Get a Kitty Hawk and you can use a helmet cam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7yBWfqHjDQ
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 12-22-2017, 11:00 PM

Just remember one thing- DJI is on top of the market, everyone else is trying to catch up.
If you get a chance, pick up a Mavic. The Phantoms are on the way out, although the '4' line may be here for a year or 2 yet. There is talk of a Phantom 5 coming out.
Spark is a cute little drone, but none of the competition hold a candle to the Mavic. Quick, reliable, great camera and fun, but somewhat dainty, keep the kids and pets away from them.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-23-2017, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Just remember one thing- DJI is on top of the market, everyone else is trying to catch up.
If you get a chance, pick up a Mavic. The Phantoms are on the way out, although the '4' line may be here for a year or 2 yet. There is talk of a Phantom 5 coming out.
Spark is a cute little drone, but none of the competition hold a candle to the Mavic. Quick, reliable, great camera and fun, but somewhat dainty, keep the kids and pets away from them.
I don’t think I can justify the price. It’s not going to be a hobby and I go flying every weekend. It’s a tool that I would use 4x or so. I might stick with inviting my friend to fly his.

Old 12-23-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josey View Post
I don’t think I can justify the price. It’s not going to be a hobby and I go flying every weekend. It’s a tool that I would use 4x or so. I might stick with inviting my friend to fly his.
If it's just for a project use one of mine

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-23-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
If it's just for a project use one of mine
Thanks, that's really nice of you to offer. I was thinking a few times of year though so I wouldn't mind having one. Sometime. Maybe.
I got a friend who offered to fly this fancy drone for us. I just don't want to call him everything I want a new video. I might though. For a steak or a burger I am sure he wouldn't mind.