Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-17-2010, 02:56 PM

Default 2000W Champion Inverter Generators selling at Costco

Saw them on the shelf and couldn't resist. $499.99. Brought it home, filled it with oil and gas and away she goes. Nice quiet little unit.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:30 AM

So whats the scoop with these ? What does the paralell swith do, it says it doubles your output power ? Im looking into getting a generator so what is the benefits from this one to the regular champion gen's ?
Old 08-18-2010, 02:49 PM

Let us know how it works after a few weeks. I've been on the market for a generator recently.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 JUNKIE View Post
So whats the scoop with these ? What does the paralell swith do, it says it doubles your output power ? Im looking into getting a generator so what is the benefits from this one to the regular champion gen's ?
Honda and Yamaha inverter gens are made to operate in parallel also I believe. Yes, connecting two of them together in parallel doubles your output. Champion put some effort into the design i.e., parallel connections, making them stackable, econ mode, oil and gas fillers that drain away spilled/overflowing liquids. The regular Champion gens are not inverter gens. These are quiet and operate with a clean sine wave.........Champion just responding to the rv community to come up with affordable, QUIET, suitcase type, inverter gens. If you need a gen for an rv an inverter gen is what everybody else using the park wants you to have and if you need a gen for emergency power or operating tools at a remote site a regular gen is the standard.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:49 PM

IMO, I've seen a lot of these "economical" or in other words "Made in China" generators come and go. Some work fine, more often than not, they have issues. Eventually China might build a decent. reliable product, but they're not there yet. EHNTR, I hope yours is one of the good ones.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:57 PM

Does one of these have enough juice to run an AC unit on an RV?
Old 08-18-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
Does one of these have enough juice to run an AC unit on an RV?

Not at 1600 Watts Rated,,, though it does say 2000 Watts (Peak). Thats the key word,,, No, this genny is too small for a standard RV AC unit. You are better to go up to the 3000 Watt size genny's

Lock your wife and your dog in the trunk of your car.
After one hour, open the trunk and see who is happiest to see you!!!

If you won't stand behind our Troops,
Feel free to stand in front of them!!!!!
Old 08-18-2010, 09:06 PM

I have had the 3000 watt champion generator since May, and find it pretty quiet for a conventional genny. It's also a pretty efficient unit, as i have left it running over night a couple times and wake up with ac power in the trailer.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:34 PM

I never saw these before. I did pick up the champion 2800watt/4000w peak gen for $268. so far so good. Not super quiet but expectations weren't real high
Old 08-18-2010, 09:55 PM

Default Gennys

Make sure you watch this carefully. I know someone in the U.S. that was a beta tester for these and just so you know he likes Champion products and myself and FIL own one as well.
Yes they are only 1600 watts continuous so be careful if you are buying for an air conditioner as a few testers shown it did not work in parallel. It is also louder than the Hondas and Yammys but half the cost.
There are a still a few unknowns and as much as I think it would be great for charging batteries, toaster. microwave etc. I think I would wait and see how it goes. Remember this is version 1.0 ......
Old 08-18-2010, 10:56 PM

Thanks for the responses. I have a yamaha 2800i gen and it works great.

I was more wondering for a buddy of mine that was interested. It was a great deal for the price, but no reason to buy it if it doesnt work for what you want.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:00 PM

Default Your useage should determine

Again if you just want something small for toaster, coffee maker, charging batteries, microwave it will probably work fine. I had thought at 500 bucks it would be easier for certain trips than my larger 4000w Champion that I only paid 299 for in the U.S. a couple of years ago. Time will tell. I would still wait until some reports come in.