Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-11-2018, 03:32 PM

Default Moose Rut - Excellent Article

Excellent read here folks. Best and most concise article I've read on the subject of moose rut timing. Might help remove some of the "mystery" around the rut. Or at least provide some more fodder for the resulting arguments! LOL

http://www.tokairservice.com/article...t-hunting-tips
Old 09-11-2018, 04:15 PM

Good stuff!👍
I’ve argued some of these very facts in deer camps for years,ie;the rut is neither early nor late and has nothing to do with ambient temperature ,it’s perfectly on time as it has been every year for milliniae......nice to confirm that it applies to moose as well.
Old 09-11-2018, 04:32 PM

Another really cool tidbit is his observation of individual voices of cows which I have been somewhat puzzled by for years.
I’ve hunted moose with maybe a couple dozen(?) different individuals over the years and have listened to at least 2-3x that many hunters do their best rendition of what they think a bawling cow should sound like.Ive heard and seen it all from guys that like higher pitched “ooooooooos” to more nasal sounding “waaaaaahhhhhs” and everything in between from commercial reed calls to birchbark to rolled up tarpaper to cupped hands to orange plastic traffic cones to a wet string and juice can.....,and most of these guys are/have been successful moose callers in their own right.Pretty cool to confirm the individualality of cow voices in the wild and explains why so many different calling styles are effective.
😎

EDIT:kinda blows the lid off the credibility of any moose calling contest don’t it,lol
The ONLY truly qualified judge has antlers 😝

Last edited by West O'5; 09-11-2018 at 04:40 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:50 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Be in the woods sept/October and you will know what's up......arse in bed or on the couch well go to wild TV....and pretend your a moose hunter....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-12-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Be in the woods sept/October and you will know what's up......arse in bed or on the couch well go to wild TV....and pretend your a moose hunter....
Lotsa guys in the woods Sept-Oct that “think” they know what’s up and will tell ya the rut is late,came early,it’s over,hasn’t started,shoulda been here last week,too warm,too hot,too cold,need frost,missed the rut moon, etc etc on and on....Orrrrrrrrrrr,ya can pay attention to the bio that’s made a lifelong career of studying moose year round x40 years and actually KNOWS what’s up....that being that the rut is at the exact same time every year irregardless of environmental conditions.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:03 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
Lotsa guys in the woods Sept-Oct that “think” they know what’s up and will tell ya the rut is late,came early,it’s over,hasn’t started,shoulda been here last week,too warm,too hot,too cold,need frost,missed the rut moon, etc etc on and on....Orrrrrrrrrrr,ya can pay attention to the bio that’s made a lifelong career of studying moose year round x40 years and actually KNOWS what’s up....that being that the rut is at the exact same time every year irregardless of environmental conditions.
True walking around with eyes wide shut sitting and playing on the phone....missed the entire rut or it never happened this year

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-12-2018, 08:29 AM

I was a moose guide for 15 plus years was quite successful, as I learn to call on my own grew up in a non hunting family reading books and videos anyway last year I called for 8 days not much happened I went online watched a few different techniques on how to call Moose went out the next day October 4th and called one in, that is the third bull in 7 years that my son and I have called in and killed on October 4th I know when I'll be hunting moose again.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-12-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot100mph View Post
Excellent read here folks. Best and most concise article I've read on the subject of moose rut timing. Might help remove some of the "mystery" around the rut. Or at least provide some more fodder for the resulting arguments! LOL

http://www.tokairservice.com/article...t-hunting-tips
Like you said, excellent read. Thanks for the share.

Creeky....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 09-13-2018, 08:50 AM

Default Rut

Bio's always said elk rut is impacted by Sun angle on retina of eye which is constant each year. If this is similar to moose then Alaska/Yukon rut would be earlier than Southern Alberta or Montana elk/moose??
Old 09-13-2018, 09:57 AM

Default Thanks for the link

slapper; that's very similar to information the late Dr. Wishard published for deer (both kinds) as a result of "his and students" studies and papers re; camp wainwright. Just different times for the deer than moose.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Bio's always said elk rut is impacted by Sun angle on retina of eye which is constant each year. If this is similar to moose then Alaska/Yukon rut would be earlier than Southern Alberta or Montana elk/moose??
I’m guessing that moose rut must evolve to be geographically specific in relation to photoperiod/diminishing sunlight vs Sun angle triggering the rut to ensure that calves are born at the optimal time in Spring,being that the moose rut timing is pretty consistent from Alaska to southern Alberta to New Brunswick?Even though daylight diminishes much sooner in Alaska then in NB,the rut timing is pretty much identical from what I can tell based on the author’s claims studying AK moose(where I’ve never been) compared to NB where I’ve hunted extensively for decades.....the moose rut is late Sept-early Oct for both.
On second thought,I guess either amount of daylight or angle of sun is essentially one in the same,if the local animals evolve to rut at a certain time of year it doesn’t matter,both the angle and amount of sunlight is constant from year to year.
Now that said,I wonder if you transplanted a native cow moose from Maine to Alaska would she be messed up and come into estrous much sooner then her Alaska cousins?Likewise,if you took an AK moose and moved her to NB maybe she wouldn’t come into estrous until late October when the available daylight replicates that of an Alaskan September?
Old 09-14-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
I’m guessing that moose rut must evolve to be geographically specific in relation to photoperiod/diminishing sunlight vs Sun angle triggering the rut to ensure that calves are born at the optimal time in Spring,being that the moose rut timing is pretty consistent from Alaska to southern Alberta to New Brunswick?Even though daylight diminishes much sooner in Alaska then in NB,the rut timing is pretty much identical from what I can tell based on the author’s claims studying AK moose(where I’ve never been) compared to NB where I’ve hunted extensively for decades.....the moose rut is late Sept-early Oct for both.
On second thought,I guess either amount of daylight or angle of sun is essentially one in the same,if the local animals evolve to rut at a certain time of year it doesn’t matter,both the angle and amount of sunlight is constant from year to year.
Now that said,I wonder if you transplanted a native cow moose from Maine to Alaska would she be messed up and come into estrous much sooner then her Alaska cousins?Likewise,if you took an AK moose and moved her to NB maybe she wouldn’t come into estrous until late October when the available daylight replicates that of an Alaskan September?
Around the equinox, everywhere has has pretty much some amount of daylight hours.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
Around the equinox, everywhere has has pretty much some amount of daylight hours.
Ahh yes,never thought of that,good point.