Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-21-2019, 10:24 AM

Default The great trout wipe out

There was a time when we didnt know the difference,and we thought it would last forever.It didnt.We didnt complicate or over think fly fishing,for salmon or trout.For salmon a dozen patterns was all that was needed,more about size and presentation.For trout,A three fly rig,first a brown pattern,then green,and black.Triples were not uncommon on "good" days.That rig was deadly,and mepps spinners,and worms for non rise days.Today all wild trout are released,and I havent kept a BC salmon or steelhead,I only keep stocked pond trout for eating,and walleye and pike in Ont.I use to say what a beautiful river,I was wrong ,It was beautiful salmon.Fishing a joy,and a way of life--We must look after it,or future generation wont know that joy.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
There was a time when we didnt know the difference,and we thought it would last forever.It didnt.We didnt complicate or over think fly fishing,for salmon or trout.For salmon a dozen patterns was all that was needed,more about size and presentation.For trout,A three fly rig,first a brown pattern,then green,and black.Triples were not uncommon on "good" days.That rig was deadly,and mepps spinners,and worms for non rise days.Today all wild trout are released,and I havent kept a BC salmon or steelhead,I only keep stocked pond trout for eating,and walleye and pike in Ont.I use to say what a beautiful river,I was wrong ,It was beautiful salmon.Fishing a joy,and a way of life--We must look after it,or future generation wont know that joy.
So, do you cook your mud with dill and lemon?
Old 06-22-2019, 08:47 PM

Default trout cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Rolled in flour,fryed in butter.side dishes as per taste-----
Old 06-22-2019, 11:06 PM
AO Sponsor

I like eating salmon a lot more than dugout Rainbows.

We just need the DFO to start managing the fishery like they used to. If not, then we better get a hatchery happening on every river to feed all the sea lions and keep this mass amount of new commercial Indian nets full, etc.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
I like eating salmon a lot more than dugout Rainbows.

We just need the DFO to start managing the fishery like they used to. If not, then we better get a hatchery happening on every river to feed all the sea lions and keep this mass amount of new commercial Indian nets full, etc.
The threat is real,these issues have to be addressed--Extinction a real possibility----
Old 06-24-2019, 04:18 PM
Banned

Not sure about Extinction but things need managed
Old 06-24-2019, 05:08 PM

Default stocked trout

Quote:
I've eaten plenty of stocked trout from lakes in BC, never had one here in Alberta. Are they really that bad?
Old 06-24-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Hale View Post
I've eaten plenty of stocked trout from lakes in BC, never had one here in Alberta. Are they really that bad?
It seems to be variable. I've taken home pan fry sized trout from some pot holes in early spring, late fall, and ice fishing, and they have been OK. From other lakes and in warmer months, forget it. Maybe my taste buds were acclimatized to BC trout before I moved to Alberta.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:19 PM

I've never eaten a pothole trout that is worth cooking.

Not even close to the taste of something out of clear, clean, fresh water.

Still fun to C&R though.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipco View Post
I've never eaten a pothole trout that is worth cooking.

Not even close to the taste of something out of clear, clean, fresh water.

Still fun to C&R though.
When I moved here from BC in '73 my first trout outing was to Star Lake in late April or early May. Caught a beauty 16 incher on a trolled leech and took home for supper. Ended up ordering pizza! Nuff said.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:42 PM

Quote:
When I moved here from BC in '73 my first trout outing was to Star Lake in late April or early May. Caught a beauty 16 incher on a trolled leech and took home for supper. Ended up ordering pizza! Nuff said.
In nfld the brookies,browns,rainbows--In some areas they have migrated to the sea,then back and forth to the tidal ponds.The ocean rich diet--did wonders for the taste--and size-At one point we did have a world record trout of 26lbs--The browns,rainbows, were a successful seeding by early settlers.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:31 AM

Default catch and release

Many of the fish die after released so are wasted.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
Many of the fish die after released so are wasted.
Depends how they are handled, barbless hooks, bring them in fast, pull the hook immediately and never take them out of the water. Letting them flop around on the shore, wrestling/squeezing them to take the hook out then holding them up taking pictures can have a definate effect on their survival rate for sure.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:06 PM

Default Wanna be

Quote:
The threat is real,these issues have to be addressed--Extinction a real possibility----
Your attempts at writing eloquently are less than successful. Your presumptuous Maltusian doom and gloom seems avant garde and enlightening to some but looking deeper, has the hidden agenda of demonizing others who by way of not placating your dogma are seemingly less ethical or moral.

A left wing regular technique. Crap on the working class who may harvest a fish or two while you ponder your greatness.

What has happened to this world?
Old 06-27-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowness View Post
Your attempts at writing eloquently are less than successful. Your presumptuous Maltusian doom and gloom seems avant garde and enlightening to some but looking deeper, has the hidden agenda of demonizing others who by way of not placating your dogma are seemingly less ethical or moral.

A left wing regular technique. Crap on the working class who may harvest a fish or two while you ponder your greatness.

I love this but it may be way over Mr. coyoteman's head
Old 07-09-2019, 11:57 AM

Default Fly fishing

Oh no---not riseing to that fly--maybe try a nymph---hahaahhehehehehehaah
Old 07-10-2019, 01:05 AM

Default Nailed it

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowness View Post

Meanwhile....your attempt at writing like a pretentious aay whole tryting to belittle others from your Starbucks wifi connection with yer fancy edubicated 5 dollar words is a smashing success......not the belittling,but ya nailed the coming across as a pretentious aye whole part.
Good job Chaucer 👍
Old 07-10-2019, 11:45 PM

admit to googling Maltusian...
Old 07-11-2019, 11:59 AM

I'm pretty sure the great trout wipeout occurred back in the thirties.

It's been all uphill since then....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 07-11-2019, 03:08 PM

Default Fishing

Take away the excellant restocking program. The low,and restrictive,retension regulations--and southern AB would be a fishing desert,For those of us who from time to time would like to bless our dinner plates with trout or walleye.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
I'm pretty sure the great trout wipeout occurred back in the thirties.

It's been all uphill since then....
In nfld .50s-60s 70s With a good rise many lakes would seem to boil with riseing trout.As young boys,limits,not considered.no licence no control.I regret to this day,as I think back,to my mother cleaning brookies in the sink,full of spawn.That dayI brought home over 100 I had caught from a spawning bed.To day for the most part the trout are gone,many lakes barren.Today I keep only stocked pond trout for now and then table fare.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
In nfld .50s-60s 70s With a good rise many lakes would seem to boil with riseing trout.As young boys,limits,not considered.no licence no control.I regret to this day,as I think back,to my mother cleaning brookies in the sink,full of spawn.That dayI brought home over 100 I had caught from a spawning bed.To day for the most part the trout are gone,many lakes barren.Today I keep only stocked pond trout for now and then table fare.

I experienced those type of ponds in Newfoundland in the 90’s. Unreal sight to see a pond “boil” during the hatch. Literally, a fish on every cast, even the ugly mistake casts. It was too easy, took the sense of achievement away. Cool to see though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-14-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
So the Newfies wiped out their trout lake fishery and then the cod fishery, what are they doing now for brewis and fish nowadays, brewis and Spam?
Old 07-14-2019, 08:47 PM

Default Trout

As a deck officer, on the 1000 ton trawler Nfld hawk--I remember hauling in 300,000 lbs of cod in 3-4 days--there were hundreds of trawlers.Absolute destruction.Today I am happy to have a few stocked AB trout for now and then table fare.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:07 AM

Default Trout wipeout

Quote:
So the Newfies wiped out their trout lake fishery and then the cod fishery, what are they doing now for brewis and fish nowadays, brewis and Spam?
You make a valid point,Mr. flyguy.I dont mean to be rude,or hurt your feelings.But I realize you had no way to know,being a good sask transplant.The correct term is fish and brews.I look forward to our as always positive intercourse--bye for now.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
You make a valid point,Mr. flyguy.I dont mean to be rude,or hurt your feelings.But I realize you had no way to know,being a good sask transplant.The correct term is fish and brews.I look forward to our as always positive intercourse--bye for now.
What kind of Newfie are you? It's pronounced brews but spelled brewis. I should know, having lived in Portugal Cove and then St. Johns. Having a Jiggs Dinner tonight!
Old 07-16-2019, 09:21 AM

Default Trout

Because Mr fly guy,Not only can I get trout to rise---The same goes for people.You are very predictable,like the Indian bay brookies-----hahahaheheheh.As my brother winst --portugal cove residence---would say--Its hard to engage in a battle of wits, with an unarmed person.Have you read his book The Ruby Church?
Old 07-16-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Because Mr fly guy,Not only can I get trout to rise---The same goes for people.You are very predictable,like the Indian bay brookies-----hahahaheheheh.As my brother winst --portugal cove residence---would say--Its hard to engage in a battle of wits, with an unarmed person.Have you read his book The Ruby Church?
No, but I've read Sweetland and The Colony of Unrequited Dreams.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:44 PM

Default Trout

Of course you have--I have to go now,trout to catch--Might as well get out to BC.