Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-25-2019, 05:48 PM

Default Tires

I know this can be personnel preference but here are the 4 tires I'm considering . Some off road use in summer, fall , across farm pastures , fields & of course some mud areas . Have winter tires so just need to add summer ones on spare rims . Can't remember the tire guy on here from Calgary . Anyway the 4 tires in LT.265/75 R 16 choices are Cooper Discoverer A/T3 , Bridgestone Dueller Revo 3 , Goodyear AT Adventurer , & Toyo Open Country AT 11 . Any recommendations , preferences due to performance ,wear ETC. Thank You
Old 06-25-2019, 05:58 PM

My Tacoma came with the Goodyear AT Adventure , and they seem decent for fields, gravel, and minor mud. Not even 10k kilometers yet , so no idea on how they wear long term, but they are quiet, and ride fairly smooth.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:08 PM

TireBob is the guy I think you are referencing? Never dealt with him, but have heard nothing but good reviews over the years. I've been here for a bit. Reputations last.
I'll throw this out there, doesn't sound like you'd go this route anyway though. I got a good deal on Grabber 305/50/20's for my truck (not through him BTW) Stock is 275/60/20. What a mistake. That extra width tosses my truck all over, they don't ride in the pavement ruts normally. Does nothing for traction, and the 50 sidewall reduces ride quality. I have a brand new set of take-offs with rims that I can't wait to swap back out for.... maybe this weekend I hope. Good riddance!

Last edited by bloopbloob; 06-25-2019 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:15 PM

Default another opinion

My experience with the Bridgestone Dueler Revo 2's: OK on pavement and solid gravel road. Very disappointing on sloppy gravel, and wet terrain, absolutely horrible on snow and ice. The Revo 3's don't look any better.
The Cooper Discoverer AT3 have always received reasonably high ratings; I know a few owners that run them year round and are happy with them.
FWIW- I put Cooper ST Maxx on the weekend rig, they have been outstanding AT tires.

TireBob is the knowledgeable guy you want to check with:
Urban Expressions Wheel & Tire
1303 44th Ave. NE, Bay 6
Calgary, AB T2E 6L5
Phone: (403) 769-1771
https://www.urbanexp.ca/

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell

Last edited by urban rednek; 06-25-2019 at 06:27 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:24 PM

Out of those 4, I would go with the coopers

I am also a fan of the duratracs, although they are not on your list
Old 06-25-2019, 09:15 PM

Had the original Revo's on a work truck. Worst tire's I have ever had the pleasure of using.... Needless to say it turned me off all Bridgestone products.

Of the one's mentioned I'd go with the Coopers!
Old 06-25-2019, 09:18 PM

better options than those 4 but of those 4 either coopers or the toyos. The bridgestones turn into slicks way too soon
Old 06-25-2019, 09:21 PM

Added note...if they weren’t 10 ply, I’d run kelly safari tsr’s on all my trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-25-2019, 09:23 PM

Personally I find toyo's to be a bit hard...they wear like iron but a little to hard for my tastes.
I like Michelin.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:00 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetail200 View Post
I know this can be personnel preference but here are the 4 tires I'm considering . Some off road use in summer, fall , across farm pastures , fields & of course some mud areas . Have winter tires so just need to add summer ones on spare rims . Can't remember the tire guy on here from Calgary . Anyway the 4 tires in LT.265/75 R 16 choices are Cooper Discoverer A/T3 , Bridgestone Dueller Revo 3 , Goodyear AT Adventurer , & Toyo Open Country AT 11 . Any recommendations , preferences due to performance ,wear ETC. Thank You
All of the tires listed will do the kinds of things you are mentioning for sure, but that doesn't mean they are all exactly the same as each other so the subtleties will maybe focus your preferences one way or another. Mining it down further, you need to consider which specifics maybe are more important than others. Considering that they will all basically do what you seem to be demanding, you next might consider things first like cost (is money tight or you don't mind paying more for a specific brand name or the like), or ease of availability (someone who maybe regularly works and drives in areas where there is a lot of risk of damaging a tire and there are not bigger shops who have as fast of access to certain brands). Maybe if the all do the same type of job the most important thing is longevity, or the toughest, or the best ride quality, or most aggressive of them or what-have-you.

Of these four tires I would "generally" say that the smoothest/quietest of them will be the Toyo ATII or the Goodyear AT Adventure. The best in the snow I would lean a bit more to the Cooper AT3. The toughest against tears and bruises would be the Wrangler AT Adventure as it uses Kevlar belting. Cost wise it would probably be the Cooper that is the least expensive up front with the Goodyear costing the most but wear wise it would normally be opposite.

I say generally as well because different drivers, vehicles, uses etc may cause different experiences for different users, but after seeing all these models under regular use in multiple circumstances over multiple years I can say this would be a pretty accurate assessment most often.

You can definitely make improvements in different areas with tires other than these as well, but a good rule of thumb to think about is that to make a tire better in one area means you have to sacrifice in another and a tire that tries to do everything is often okay at those things but not amazing at any one thing. There are always trade-offs.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 06-26-2019, 07:48 PM

Default Tires

Thank you for the suggestions & Bob appreciate your information ,I sent you A PM before I seen your info here .
Old 06-27-2019, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
My experience with the Bridgestone Dueler Revo 2's: OK on pavement and solid gravel road. Very disappointing on sloppy gravel, and wet terrain, absolutely horrible on snow and ice. The Revo 3's don't look any better.
The Cooper Discoverer AT3 have always received reasonably high ratings; I know a few owners that run them year round and are happy with them.
FWIW- I put Cooper ST Maxx on the weekend rig, they have been outstanding AT tires.
I agree with the ST Maxx's
Old 06-27-2019, 07:32 AM

Cooper ST Maxx work so good, they are now cracking on the sidewall, and still not past the haft tread, also there past the 7 year mark now
Old 06-27-2019, 08:51 AM

100,000km on my last cooper at3 (LT270/70 R 17) , year round, quiet on the highway. 15000 onto my new set, AT3 S4 now, still happy
Old 06-27-2019, 12:25 PM

I had cooper AT3’s second worst tires I ever owned (Michelin LTX the worst). Unless your only highway driving during non-winter conditions there are much better options.