Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-08-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger1022 View Post
Here is a pic of where they lost contact.

Thanks for the pic. CNN reports that the plane most likely went down in the South China Sea. Pretty sad news.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:06 PM

Gotta wonder if it's a repeat of this one. Written off as contradictory instrument readings and the pilots inability to deal with them due to inexperience.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_France_Flight_447

Grizz
Old 03-08-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Foreign ministry officials in Rome and Vienna confirm that names of two nationals listed on the manifest of the missing Malaysian airlines flight match passports reported stolen in Thailand.

Italy’s Foreign Ministry said Saturday that an Italian man whose name was listed as being aboard is travelling in Thailand and was not aboard the plane.

A foreign ministry functionary, who spoke on condition of anonymity, confirmed Italian reports that Luigi Maraldi had reported his passport stolen last August.

Italian news agency ANSA says Maraldi called home after hearing reports that an Italian with his name was aboard the plane.

The U.S. State Department confirms that three Americans were aboard the Malaysia Airlines jet that vanished Saturday.

.... with all the news uptil now not good news
Old 03-08-2014, 12:46 PM

Heard two of the passengers who didnt make the flight had there passports stolen... Also looks like they found an oil slick they believe to be the plane. Pretty sad news all around.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:35 AM

So where the heck is this plane???,
It seems that its becoming yesterday’s news already in the media.
I am finding it hard to believe with technology that we have zero evidence of a wreck. Oil slicks...maybe but I will tell you that there would be some sort of debris with in or around the oil.. I have been in aviation for years and I find this to be really odd. The plane is equipped with all kinds of locaters and gps instruments.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:52 AM

Forgive me, Ruger as I haven't had time to follow this too closely, but did they lose communication AND radar contact at the same time?
Old 03-09-2014, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Forgive me, Ruger as I haven't had time to follow this too closely, but did they lose communication AND radar contact at the same time?
Its not "Clear" at this time..
Old 03-09-2014, 01:09 AM

Yikes.

A cruising altitude loss of contact would pretty much indicate a catastrophic event resulting in a large debris field. I also recall the Swissair event off of Peggy's Cove and that jet hit the surface at an incredibly high rate of speed and there was still a large field of debris. Seems odd for sure. Hopefully it's just a matter of different cultures/search techniques resulting in this confusion.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:44 AM

Why is there no emergency locator transmitter?
Old 03-09-2014, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrabbit000 View Post
Why is there no emergency locator transmitter?

Authorities are saying they can't find a ping from the ELT.., tells me that is wasn't activated. The ELT can be activated in many diffrent ways, manually,automatically by a G-switch (gravity switch) which will activate when it senses a crash, it also will activate when it hits water ect. These things are made to take a beating similar to the "black box" (which is really an orange box) voice recorder.

Today A total of 40 ships and 22 aircraft from an array of countries including China and the US are now involved in the hunt across the waters.

I sure hope they find somthing..

Last edited by Ruger1022; 03-09-2014 at 03:13 AM.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Link?, or are you just bored?
2 people on board using stolen passports. 1 Italian, reported alive and in Thailand, 1 Australian the same. ITL passport stolen recently, AUS stolen 2 years ago.

Pretty sure it is something of the sort.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connexion123 View Post
2 people on board using stolen passports. 1 Italian, reported alive and in Thailand, 1 Australian the same. ITL passport stolen recently, AUS stolen 2 years ago.

Pretty sure it is something of the sort.
Investigators are looking at 4 fraudulent passports now..
Old 03-09-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger1022 View Post
Authorities are saying they can't find a ping from the ELT.., tells me that is wasn't activated. The ELT can be activated in many diffrent ways, manually,automatically by a G-switch (gravity switch) which will activate when it senses a crash, it also will activate when it hits water ect. These things are made to take a beating similar to the "black box" (which is really an orange box) voice recorder.

Today A total of 40 ships and 22 aircraft from an array of countries including China and the US are now involved in the hunt across the waters.

I sure hope they find somthing..
Prime example of what good is an ELT if it doesn't even work. It's hard to believe that the plane is still not found yet. I can't imagine how hard it is on the families and friends waiting for any type news.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrabbit000 View Post
Prime example of what good is an ELT if it doesn't even work. It's hard to believe that the plane is still not found yet.
If the ELT is submerged the water will absorb the radio waves and the ELT will not be detectable.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:14 PM
Banned

Nope,they are good to 800 feet from what the NTSB is saying.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:01 AM

Wow. Three days now with massive search efforts and ZERO sign of this aircraft. I cannot imagine what these poor families are going through.

Do we now have to consider the possibility of an incredibly sophisticated hijacking?

Very, very strange.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:04 AM

I heard reports on BBC that the plane may have radically altered it's course, shut off it's tracking electronics. Sounds like a hijacking to me...
Old 03-11-2014, 10:15 AM

People are posting a news release on facebook stating that loved ones are calling passenger's cell phones and they are ringing but not picking up. Same thing with the flight crew's cell phones. This is the link off of facebook
http://worldtruth.tv/missing-malaysi...-not-answered/
Don't know if this is true or a fake or what to think?!!?
Old 03-11-2014, 11:05 AM

Just heard that there were two Iranian nationals on the plane with stolen passports, and they were booked on the flight by a third party who is also an Iranian national. Unless they were seeking asylum in another country, this is starting to smell like terrorism. Problem is that only one 'terrorist' organization has claimed responsibility, and that has been de-bunked as a false claim. A lot of unanswered questions.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:12 AM

Default another lost contct map

Quote:
Originally Posted by brother1 View Post
People are posting a news release on facebook stating that loved ones are calling passenger's cell phones and they are ringing but not picking up. Same thing with the flight crew's cell phones. This is the link off of facebook
http://worldtruth.tv/missing-malaysi...-not-answered/
Don't know if this is true or a fake or what to think?!!?
in the above link there is a different map that shows failure to check in and then 1 hour and 20 min later "lost contact"???
Old 03-11-2014, 11:25 AM

Another twist to the story: http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/missing-...rait-1.1723453

Apparently the plane was spotted and tracked on military radar travelling west, hundreds of kilometers from last civilian radar location, and it was reportedly "flying low."

Very strange story indeed!

If it hasn't gone down it kinda makes one wonder when and where it might reappear, and for what purpose .

I'm gonna have to stop on the way home from the office today and get some tin foil.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I heard reports on BBC that the plane may have radically altered it's course, shut off it's tracking electronics. Sounds like a hijacking to me...
*Its
No apostrophe when it's possessive.
I'm only going grammar nazi on you because you can take it... and you'd do it to me in a heartbeat!

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 03-11-2014, 02:14 PM

Now it's being reported that the plane's transponder was turned off, and that can only happen due to catastrophic failure, or someone physically turned it off. Someone had to have turned it off, because it's also being reported that the Vietnamese military had the plane on radar & that it had done a complete reversal in flight path, and was going in the opposite direction (after the transponder was turned off). A Vietnamese fisherman has also come forward saying that the he saw the plane flying extremely low, and going in the wrong direction (from what officials say after the fisherman came forward). They are now looking for any information regarding the two Iranians on the plane with stolen passports. Lots of conspiracy theories floating around now (it is a post 9/11 world), however there is no concrete evidence of anything, yet...
Old 03-11-2014, 02:43 PM

maybe Iran is asking to be next on the US/Chinas military list ...
Old 03-11-2014, 07:32 PM

7 hrs of jet fuel and 570mph...this plane could be anywhere.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachnodisiac View Post
*Its
No apostrophe when it's possessive.
I'm only going grammar nazi on you because you can take it... and you'd do it to me in a heartbeat!
Nice derail.

What a mystery.It had 6 or 7 hours worth of fuel when it dropped off.Maybe the pilot hijacked it,like that Nigerian pilot last month.He could have shut the transponder off and flew low.I just can`t figure where you land something that big undetected?
Old 03-11-2014, 08:16 PM

They can track a cellphone with a tracker but they can not locate a plane. Prayers to those grieving.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:22 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post
Nice derail.

What a mystery.It had 6 or 7 hours worth of fuel when it dropped off.Maybe the pilot hijacked it,like that Nigerian pilot last month.He could have shut the transponder off and flew low.I just can`t figure where you land something that big undetected?
just checked Lougheed International Airport, it's not there!!
seriously though, it is weird that Viet Nam radar had them doing a 360?...
Old 03-11-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
just checked Lougheed International Airport, it's not there!!
seriously though, it is weird that Viet Nam radar had them doing a 360?...
A reversal would be a 180! But this is truly a mystery! I hope they're all Alive and in the Congo.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorot View Post
They can track a cellphone with a tracker but they can not locate a plane. Prayers to those grieving.
Well said.

I cannot imagine what the poor families of those missing are going through.

I hope everyone is alive and well.

The next question is what purpose does a plane that large, full of people, serve if nobody has come forward with ransom demands.