Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-25-2019, 10:03 AM

Default Poacher conviction

Here is a file completed by my office

Anyone with additional information on anyone violating FEDERAL wildlife acts please contact me

https://www.dailyjaw.com/2018/11/29/...ear-moose-jaw/
Old 06-25-2019, 10:41 AM

Very well done! Their Lawyers statement was weird. I guess trying to downplay something that obviously is serious.

Are you finding the fines and loss of hunting privileges increasing as the Prosecutors, Judges and the Public are becoming more aware of how serious and disgusting these type of infractions are?

Very glad you are active on this Forum! I hope anyone observing Federal infractions would get in touch with you.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:42 AM

Nice work, thank you.

Any chance you can comment on what tipped the officer off to these guys who "got a little enthusiastic about the nature in Saskatchewan" just days after they arrived.

Again thank you.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
During their time in Saskatchewan, they were under surveillance by the conservation officer who had gotten approval from a judge to place a tracker on their vehicle. From Oct. 12 to 22 of 2017, they were followed closely from a short distance.
I thought this kinda stuff only happened in James Bond movies.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:12 AM

I would have liked to see even higher fines, as well as long term license suspensions for all of Canada.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:16 AM

It’s a pity the fines are often less than a guided hunt would have cost. There should be mandatory jail time for poaching....
Old 06-25-2019, 11:18 AM

Default Fines

The legislation went through a revamp and people are getting higher fines now because of the revamp especially with WAPPRIITA
(Wild animal and plant protection Regulations on International and interprovincial Act)

It is our job to educate the justice system but hey are starting to listen

Please share the original post the more people that know the better
Old 06-25-2019, 11:40 AM

Default Good kob

Good Job, honestly.

When you initially identified yourself on the forum I was like ... oh Jesus here comes the people flinging crap like zoo monkeys on a boring day ...

It’s nice to see that you decided to steer the course. This is the kind of positive visibility that you folks need.

-Billy Currington (People are crazy)

Currently retired from hunting due to injury, but looking to get back on the wagon in 2020. Up in Yellowknife and missing my Alberta home big time.

This is the kind of thinking we are up against, vote Conservative this election!

Full Thread: https://imgur.com/a/y7RARBC
Old 06-25-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirty-30 View Post
Good Job, honestly.

When you initially identified yourself on the forum I was like ... oh Jesus here comes the people flinging crap like zoo monkeys on a boring day ...

It’s nice to see that you decided to steer the course. This is the kind of positive visibility that you folks need.
well said!
Old 06-25-2019, 01:51 PM

Love that you are on here! However, could I recommend closer attention to spelling, punctuation and grammar? It would make your posts feel more authoritative and authentic.

Thanks for all that you do.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsesink View Post
Love that you are on here! However, could I recommend closer attention to spelling, punctuation and grammar? It would make your posts feel more authoritative and authentic.

Thanks for all that you do.
Here comes the punctuation police...
Old 06-25-2019, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsesink View Post
^Agreed. I'm still not convinced that you are involved in federal enforcement, because a professional should be taking care to write using proper spelling, grammar, syntax, etc. If you are ESL (as it would seem, from some of your posts) then please consider using a tool like Grammarly.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 06-26-2019, 12:32 AM

Default Federal Wildlife

Oh boy! Before you all fall in line like a bunch of sheep don’t lose sight that the federal and provincial fish cops mandate of focusing primarily on enforcement is one of the main reasons our wildlife populations are decimated, especially true here in Alberta. If these departments put half the effort into actual conservation like our neighbours to the South do our wildlife would be in a much better spot. I can’t believe this fellow actually came on a hunting forum and asked for people to rat. Consider getting out in the field and actually doing something positive for our sport and our wildlife. Go shoot some wolves and relocate or blast some feral horses. That was a great job you feds did at Suffield, no waste of a world class resource there. Better yet, go down the hall and ask the guys in forestry to stop issuing permits to clear cut the eastern slopes. As for the guys from Quebec, I'm sure the taxpayer benefited from tracking devices being placed on vehicles and all the time put in for this one. Surely the 45k in fines paid for all of that including your wages! What a value add service you guys provide for outdoorsmen and our wildlife!

Last edited by Sportsman; 06-26-2019 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Rant
Old 06-26-2019, 05:27 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Job well done gents....keep it up!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-26-2019, 05:31 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsman View Post
Oh boy! Before you all fall in line like a bunch of sheep don’t lose sight that the federal and provincial fish cops mandate of focusing primarily on enforcement is one of the main reasons our wildlife populations are decimated, especially true here in Alberta. If these departments put half the effort into actual conservation like our neighbours to the South do our wildlife would be in a much better spot. I can’t believe this fellow actually came on a hunting forum and asked for people to rat. Consider getting out in the field and actually doing something positive for our sport and our wildlife. Go shoot some wolves and relocate or blast some feral horses. That was a great job you feds did at Suffield, no waste of a world class resource there. Better yet, go down the hall and ask the guys in forestry to stop issuing permits to clear cut the eastern slopes. As for the guys from Quebec, I'm sure the taxpayer benefited from tracking devices being placed on vehicles and all the time put in for this one. Surely the 45k in fines paid for all of that including your wages! What a value add service you guys provide for outdoorsmen and our wildlife!

It is a hell of a lot better than doing nothing.....given the lack of LEO etc they rely on us as outdoors people to report.....nice vent though.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-26-2019, 06:14 AM

Quote:
You wouldn't report someone poaching?
Old 06-26-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
If people keep poaching to the extent of those scumbags from Quebec, we soon won't have any wildlife to manage. As to this "rat" nonsense, any hunter that actually cares about our resources, should be willing to report the poachers that are stealing our resources.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEDONE View Post

It is our job to educate the justice system but hey are starting to listen
Congratulations on the conviction, unfortunately the punishment does not fit the crime, certainly not your fault, but a major failing of our ability to pass legislation where the punishment truly fits the crime.

It is your job to participate in the development of federal acts and regulations as they pertain to environmental and wildlife enforcement, not simply to educate the justice system. because no single body should ever be provided the power to write legislation, approve legislation, enforce legislation, judge and execute at will.

Good luck to you in future cases.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Wow.....
Old 06-26-2019, 08:25 PM

Default Poaching

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
You wouldn't report someone poaching?
Honestly, it would depends on what happened, certainly not for everything.

I have zero time for these guys, their priorities are backwards. Make no mistake they are primarily focussed on catching you doing something wrong when they should be focussed on actual conservation efforts. I actually hope that the provincial conservatives cut their budgets again and retire a bunch of the decision makers at Environment.

Anyways, I could go on but I don’t want to get the ban hammer so I’m done on this one gents.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:30 PM

Default You are hoping for budget cuts?

My hunting partner lives in Tofield and know the CO out there. John texted him 1 evening to see if he wanted to grab a coffee with us. He texted back that he was on a call in Lloydminster. I figured he was assisting another CO.... nope, Lloydminster was also his area. 1 CO covering east of Edmonton for 50 km north and 50 south of hwy 16 all the way to the Sask border. I would hate to see what budget cuts would look like.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:10 PM

in saskatchewan officers are in charge of massive areas and are under funded and staffed so people "ratting" are a huge part of the process. I do a pile of hunting, trapping and fishing and have been checked twice in the last 10 years.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
in saskatchewan officers are in charge of massive areas and are under funded and staffed so people "ratting" are a huge part of the process. I do a pile of hunting, trapping and fishing and have been checked twice in the last 10 years.
So you know what their actual budget is then right? I guess they must be under funded if they say they are. I could support that they are probably under paid but under funded is ridiculous. Wardens have historically managed large areas, this isn’t something new. The whole system is broken, they need to re-evaluate priorities.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:54 AM

Damn those Quebeckers. they think they are god's chosen people in Canada. Could be wrong this is virtually a repeat of previous history. I'm sure there is more but couldn't find it.

https://www.discovermoosejaw.com/loc...ance-operation

Grizz
Old 06-27-2019, 12:50 PM

"On Oct. 7, Patrick Leboeuf, a 42-year-old man from Quebec had arrived to Moose Jaw with two friends, Jean-Philippe Quesnel, 32, and Martin Gendron, 44. They were in Saskatchewan for the purpose of hunting and had with them a vehicle and supplies."

Wonder if this is the same Martin Gendron that was drafted by the Washington capitals in 92 and played for team Canada in 93-94
Old 06-27-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
So you say go out in the field and do something and then immediately after that you say that they were wasting taxpayers money by busting some poachers...… makes sense
Old 06-27-2019, 04:59 PM

No, that’s your interpretation and spin on what I said. Great post though!
Old 06-28-2019, 07:37 AM

WEDONE,

Good job on the investigation. Since your thread has sorta gone off the rails because of "you know who" .... maybe PM Admin and see if you can start a "Enforcement" or "Report a Poacher" sticky. Lots of guys on here spend tons of days field and might appreciate having a contact on the Board, even if it is just to confirm whether an incident is reportable or not.