Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-05-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
Tons of buyers give out rough averages of what they will be paying it's pretty simple really. It's called a rough Ave for a reason not a guarantee.
So what are the buyers saying their average this year is? Just curious.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:34 PM

On what are you curious about? Beavers 10 to 15, rats 2-4, otter 10-20. Coon 5-10. Western heavy coyotes cant tell you that's top secret.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:39 PM

I agree with kingrat. They say they are paying superb prices for coyotes so they obviously know what their going to pay, just give us an idea. Marty said they have set levels to pay for each grade
Old 12-05-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbsask View Post
I agree with kingrat. They say they are paying superb prices for coyotes so they obviously know what their going to pay, just give us an idea. Marty said they have set levels to pay for each grade
Then I guess if they really want your business they will get the information out there. Otherwise it looks like they really don't want your business.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:08 PM

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&sourc...Ho47wpuQtV9Y-e

Keep an eye on the Thompson Fur Tables turnout and results.

Pricing here will reflect where markets will be this season.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofbounds View Post
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&sourc...Ho47wpuQtV9Y-e

Keep an eye on the Thompson Fur Tables turnout and results.

Pricing here will reflect where markets will be this season.
well kind of not really, those buyers turn around and flip it to make a profit so typically they will offer under market value. But yes its a rough idea.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:55 PM

Yes exactly, just like the rest of the cash on the barrel head buyers.

Marten pricing will be lower as many had been left on the hook with advancing higher prices only to receive less at the auction.

The cash buyers rely on the delta between what is offered as a cash in hand sale for the harvester and numbers sold later at auction for profit.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:02 AM

It’s an auction. Any prediction incorrect would be chastised. Send in fur. Hope for the best results.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:23 AM
Banned

If the prices being paid were that great you’d think that they’d advertise the heck out of it. Not being upfront with prices not so much.....
Old 12-06-2019, 08:45 AM

It would be poor business to advertise prices. Firstly do all you coyote killers want every person with a gun running around the country side to know prices. And secondly no listing of prices leaves no preconceived notion of what one should be paid, you get your fur graded, they offer you money, you choose to take it or don't. They aren't going to spoon feed us specific numbers...same as the auction provides no guarantee.

In my head I have a number I would be content if my coyotes sold for. If GFW pays this..and cash none the less..its likely better to not be greedy and just sell. Just my thoughts. If someone offered you the price you were asking for a used vehicle, would you refuse and send it to auction just because it might sell higher?

Just some thoughts from an uneducated youth.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose slayer10 View Post
It would be poor business to advertise prices. Firstly do all you coyote killers want every person with a gun running around the country side to know prices. And secondly no listing of prices leaves no preconceived notion of what one should be paid, you get your fur graded, they offer you money, you choose to take it or don't. They aren't going to spoon feed us specific numbers...same as the auction provides no guarantee.

In my head I have a number I would be content if my coyotes sold for. If GFW pays this..and cash none the less..its likely better to not be greedy and just sell. Just my thoughts. If someone offered you the price you were asking for a used vehicle, would you refuse and send it to auction just because it might sell higher?

Just some thoughts from an uneducated youth.
Very good post. I have dealt with fur buyers in the past and if they "know" you and what product you usually have they will quote you some rough averages over the phone. They don't want to publicly advertise a price and get caught. If they did that next thing you know a guy shows up and is trying to sell all the poorer stuff, that might not be a bad thing just don't expect the top price. Relationships have to be built like anything else. One thing I know at times we did better selling to the fur buyer and the times we sold for slightly more on the auction, is was a small amount. I think some guys just like the whole auction process of seeing their "grades" watching one sell "high", posting there grades on the net and so on. Remember you are working with averages when you sell to a fur buyer usually on your whole lot. Not every fur buyer is trying to rip you off.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
When a buyer comes and looks at your fur, does he pay with cash or by cheque? I know that being payed with a cheque from a travelling fur buyer would be a chance that I personally wouldn’t want to take. Especially when there have been cases of fur cheque’s bouncing. It’s a shame, but in today’s world, trust isn’t what it used to be.
Did anyone find out if payments will be cash or cheque on Dec 17
Your bank will put a 5 business day HOLD on a cheque
Old 12-08-2019, 09:41 PM
AO Sponsor

Some very big averages happening on the coyotes these days in the country!!!

Sounds like a lot of coyotes to be had this season, big numbers. Could be a very large harvest, sell early, sell often to take advantage of the spike. If there’s an overproduction such as a few years ago, the prices could easily soften later in the season.

Harvest size is always directly tied to price. The country buying by the large companies rallying for goods sets the values for the year in addition to what has happened at auction in previous season. Even some of the big Italian buyers are seeking goods in the country this year, desiring uniformity in their purchased collections which has always been a sore spot for them traditionally at auction, as well as dodging the excess auction fees. I do believe that is one plus of FHA over NAFA, from the buyers perspective, I do believe FHAs buyer fees are lower than NAFAs.

That’s coyotes.

Then the other stuff, selling to the various buyers moves your goods and puts the money in your pocket rather than having the less desired goods sit unsold for very lengthy time periods. Some buyers have standing orders for many goods at set levels, and in addition to that, some buyers speculate buy on a long term basis, buying goods and waiting for the orders to come.

GFW buys a lot of otherwise unwanted goods and sorts/grades and catalogues the goods. Then they make the goods available/known to their potential buyers and when the buyers are ready, they make their order and GFW fills it it’s their available inventories.

Cool company, I jumped on with them, not to get rich, but because this is a very good thing for the Alberta/Canadian trappers.

The more people standing there waving cash at the trappers, the better it is for the trapper. However, there is a shortage of people standing there waving money at the trappers these days for anything other than coyotes.

Do note... GFW buys most everything.

Last edited by Marty S; 12-08-2019 at 10:02 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:53 AM

Relationship building.
I'm not sure I can get to Red deer on the 17th so I hope GFW has been invited to Westlock for the Christmas Open House on the 14th.
Meet and greet, relationship building.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:28 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Are you going to be buying all grades of Yotes, Marty, or just the higher, marketable grades?

I’d also be curious if you’ll be buying deer, elk and moose hides.

The first auction will tell the tale when the auction prices less drumming and commissions are compared to GFW prices.
Sorry Dave, others, didn't catch all the questions. Been very busy.

GFW buys everything, they don't just pick and chose and leave the trapper with a picked over collection with the desire-ables out and the non-desire-able unsold for great lengths of time. They buy all grades of coyotes, lynx, marten, beaver, rats, coon, wolves, otters, wolverine, even ermine.

Squirrels kinda tough these days, lotsa squirrels buy-able at auction for 0.25 unless they cleared them out... hope so. But otters are a zero demand item and they will buy them, not great prices but it puts money in the trappers pocket for his efforts instead of nothing. Can't pay bills with unsold skins.

GFW might buy deer hides, elk moose etc in the USA, but they are currently not buying such items here in Canada. Perhaps in the future, but currently the door is only open a crack, ZERO prep time and the season was upon us.

I guess we are buying castoreum. I'm told at $80 per pound, that may be for clean, may be for all. The "CastorMan" is buying for GFW in Ontario somewhere, therefore GFW has access to one of the very best castor outlets.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:27 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugh View Post
Relationship building.
I'm not sure I can get to Red deer on the 17th so I hope GFW has been invited to Westlock for the Christmas Open House on the 14th.
Meet and greet, relationship building.
It’s not our building, and the ATA promotes the FHA. I’m sure we’d be welcome for coffee and donuts but weren’t asked to set up, besides our guys will be in Thompson that day.

We will be in Athabasca, Debolt, Minburn and again in Red Deer week of Jan 16 to Jan 19.

http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=373620
Old 12-14-2019, 10:53 PM

Well had first experience with gfw in sask in pa they had 3 diff fur buyers an u went threw an they each gave u a offer was hoping gfw was gonna. Be the top seller but I sold to a diff buyer along with most the people there
Old 12-15-2019, 07:07 AM

Who was the buyer you ended up selling to?
Old 12-15-2019, 08:03 AM

Wrangler Hamm is who I ended up selling to
Old 12-15-2019, 08:08 AM

Thanks I was wondering how he was gonna do going against the almighty best prices you've ever seen groeny buyers.ive talked to a few guys that said the same as you.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreys 21234 View Post
Wrangler Hamm is who I ended up selling to
What was groeny paying if u dont mind saying ? Or just pm me bud
Old 12-15-2019, 10:47 AM

Just sold 23 coyotes with groenwald. Took what I thought to be a variety of coyotes and I’m actually quite happy with what I got. No commission, no shipping except my gas. Cheque in hand. Same as I did last year first nafa sale. Groenwald was the only option in Clavet today.
Should have took all I had but thought 23 would b a good test.
Old 12-15-2019, 12:34 PM

Was everyone made to sign non disclosure agreements or did he threaten lives?.guys are all over posting ave on here after sales. What's the big secret now.
Old 12-15-2019, 12:41 PM

Anyone on Facebook the Saskatchewan wild fur industry page has a bunch of guys reporting Ave from 115 to 150 junk included so that's pretty good Ave with no commissions, exchange rate etc.
Old 12-15-2019, 02:02 PM

So I averaged 120$

Best I could understand pricing on mine was
170$ for select
150$ for #1
125$ for #2
100$ for lesser #2
75$ for not sure.
Then I had 3 for 30$ each. Early flats.
Old 12-17-2019, 03:10 PM

Pretty good experience with them today at Red Deer drop off. Sold 17 out of 20 for $140 average. The other 3 - 1 was garbage (I pretty much knew it) & other 2 I decided to save for another day as should have been worth a little more in my opinion. All in all I thought it was pretty good & will go again to them in New Year.
Old 12-17-2019, 04:21 PM

I second that opinion as I went there with a minimum average price in mind and they offered me a bit more. Pretty straight people do deal with if you ask me.
Old 12-18-2019, 06:40 AM

That's good news. Always good to have options.
Old 12-18-2019, 10:34 AM

anyone here sell some yotes to Marty and his group?
Old 12-18-2019, 10:56 AM

guess my page needed to refresh... I see some sold to Groenewold. I just took 10 to see what I could get. Made out ok I guess. Kinda expected a bit more after hearing all the talk of 130 average ppl should be getting, and all the hype about how much fur everyone still wants and how high the prices are gonna be this year, and we even want your early fur...
I wanted an education on how they grade because I am kinda new and unaware. They showed me what they wanted and why mine were graded the way they were. After that I could kind of see why I got what I got.
2 sold for 150
4 sold at 125
3 sold at 100
1 sold at 70
I am headed to edmonton friday, I will bring another 10 or 15 to Haliford and see what they offer me. Those ones probably aren't as good as the ones I sold to
Groenwold so will be interesting to see what happens there. Then depending on what happens with Haliford, I will bring the next batch to auction. I brought 5 furs for my buddy and they didn't even want them. And after my education from them I can see why, but he was ****ed... he said he averaged 60 to 80 at auction for the exact same thing... so who knows