Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-27-2013, 01:37 PM

Default Need help with a muzzle brake

I recently got a badger ordnance brake in the mail, but much to my distain it needs to be fitted. My barrel has the correct 5/8-24tpi thread, but the brake needs to be bored out for a 308 and fitted. I am wondering if anyone would be able to help me with that, or if I am gonna have to bite and go to a gunsmith, losing my rifle for a few weeks.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:32 PM
Precisionshooter

The brake needs to be fitted to your barrel. I am certain your supplier can give you the detailed information on that product as part of their customer service.

You can determine the bore size of the supplied brake by using gage pins, or you get a ball park with calipers. If you have an assortment of drill bits you can find one that fits in with next to "0" wiggle. Measure its diameter.

Badger will give the specs or method to obtain the proper bore size.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:33 PM
Precisionshooter

Forgot to add, pick the wrong smith and you might lose more...lol.

The clamping section (diameter/fit) of the barrel is important.

I am surprised the sales person didn't give you those details before you purchased the brake.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:44 PM

i would use a drill press if i was going to do is myself
not a hand drill

and would buy a new bit, so it was sharp

good luck
Old 02-27-2013, 06:46 PM

Check the bore diameter, if it checks out then all you need is a crush washer or a shim to time it so its straight...

Very few tacticool components are a drop in fit.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwheels81 View Post
Check the bore diameter, if it checks out then all you need is a crush washer or a shim to time it so its straight...

Very few tacticool components are a drop in fit.
It requires part of the barrel to be machined down to a colar. I dont think im going to keep this brake, I do not wish to mutilate my barrel.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:17 AM

if u look in the brake (thread end) u will see the threads dont start at the end ,,,there actually inside are they not??? this is so the brake can be timed without damageing or having to clean up any threads ????
Old 02-28-2013, 12:49 PM
Banned

I can clearly see the instructions in the pic that has been posted. They recommend a boring bar, which implies a lathe in order to maintain concentricity, certainly not a Dewalt. The iinstructions are also clearly state to bore 0.020" over bullet diameter. I don't see the big mystery or difficulty here.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
I can clearly see the instructions in the pic that has been posted. They recommend a boring bar, which implies a lathe in order to maintain concentricity, certainly not a Dewalt. The iinstructions are also clearly state to bore 0.020" over bullet diameter. I don't see the big mystery or difficulty here.
The big difficulty is that a shoulder needs to be cut into the barrel so the brake my sit on it. Im not to keen on this kind of commitment.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:27 PM
Banned

Before you despair too much, why not give Henry Rempel a call. He's in Calgary, a very nice fellow and can likely help you out in a jiffy.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Before you despair too much, why not give Henry Rempel a call. He's in Calgary, a very nice fellow and can likely help you out in a jiffy.
Well ATRS can too for $130 and 2 weeks with my baby. I just don't like the idea of that being the only brake to ever fit.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:34 PM

I can't tell how the brake is designed cause the pic is dark but if possible you could measure your barrel diameter and then match the brake i.d. By boring it out.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:11 AM
Precisionshooter

The beauty of this brake is it eliminates the need for timing/indexing at the machining level. It designed to be removable and reinstalled without the problems associated with a non-clamping brake. It also allows for off horizontal gas discharge. A bit heavy......
Old 03-01-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precisionshooter View Post
The beauty of this brake is it eliminates the need for timing/indexing at the machining level. It designed to be removable and reinstalled without the problems associated with a non-clamping brake. It also allows for off horizontal gas discharge. A bit heavy......
It needs the barrel to be milled down for the length of the collar though. I like the brake but I don't want a mutant barrel.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:50 PM
Precisionshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToXicXxX View Post
It needs the barrel to be milled down for the length of the collar though. I like the brake but I don't want a mutant barrel.
Thats exactly what the instructions say. Looking at the brake you can see the same.

If the threads are cut on the barrel you could have a brake fitted to it and indexed. If you don't plan on removing the brake you should be okay. Side discharge brakes are $90 and up.

A multi port 360 degree brake may just screw on and that is a common thread size. if you don't plan on smithing that is the best option. I would look at one more oversize then 0.020" as it should still be single point cut once installed and torqued. Since you don't want to do that an oversized brake bore will lose some efficiency but you can't have it all and it wouldn't be much. Multi ports are less money as well.

Measure up your barrel thread length, diameter and tpi to be sure you get one that will screw on....

You can return the one you have for a refund (cash in your pocket) and buy a cheaper one.......... you might get lucky and the stars will align and you will save cash have excellent results.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Thats exactly what the instructions say. Looking at the brake you can see the same.

If the threads are cut on the barrel you could have a brake fitted to it and indexed. If you don't plan on removing the brake you should be okay. Side discharge brakes are $90 and up.

A multi port 360 degree brake may just screw on and that is a common thread size. if you don't plan on smithing that is the best option. I would look at one more oversize then 0.020" as it should still be single point cut once installed and torqued. Since you don't want to do that an oversized brake bore will lose some efficiency but you can't have it all and it wouldn't be much. Multi ports are less money as well.

Measure up your barrel thread length, diameter and tpi to be sure you get one that will screw on....

You can return the one you have for a refund (cash in your pocket) and buy a cheaper one.......... you might get lucky and the stars will align and you will save cash have excellent results.

Don't think wolverine will take it back, you want it? . I have an ATRS brake on there now.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:36 PM
Precisionshooter

Atr made? Not in this lifetime.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Atr made? Not in this lifetime.
No. the badger FTE. I like ATR man, c'mon. Dustin and Rick are good guys.