Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-18-2023, 11:06 AM

Default Where to take beginner fly fisher

So I have been wanting to take the Mrs on a short fishing trip out west to get away as well as hopefully teach her how to flyfish. The plan until now has been to visit family and just slowly walk the Bow but now I'm thinking it might be a good opportunity to get closer to the mountains into some scenic country and maybe have a ring in my pocket as well (don't worry she doesn't read the forum)
Our hiking skills are moderate so no big huge hikes or vast remote rivers but even a well known river system where one could go for a day or 2 day fishing trip with a good view of the mountains would be awesome.
I know "where do I catch all the fish?" Questions don't go over well here but hopefully you can help this eastern ab guy get pointed in the right direction

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 06-18-2023, 01:26 PM

crowsnest area or Livingstone area. very scenic and fairly easy rivers to wade and walk. also lots of rivers in the livingstone area to try of you want a little more river to yourself.

good luck
Mike
Old 06-18-2023, 02:20 PM

Payne Lake. just between Waterton and Cardston. Lots of rivers and lakes in area. Stay at payne lake wilderness huts. I have been in a seasonal campsite there for 4 years. If you decide to go let me know and you can borrow my kayaks and paddle boards. The sunsets there are amazing(romantic ).
Old 06-18-2023, 06:28 PM
Banned

Ram river area is really nice.
Old 06-18-2023, 09:42 PM

Hike up to Galatea. Pack a nice lunch. Cast a 4 weight along the shoreline. Take some dries and also a small indicator and small nymphs.

After fishing and eating start walking down. Wait for a great view on the trail behind you. Fake a sore ankle. While kneeling to get up and for a helping hand. When she gives it bring out the ring and say

You have a beautiful view over my shoulders but my view is of the most beautiful woman in the world who completes me in all aspects of my existence. Please be part of the rest of my life, my partner for the future and marry me?

Next step. Walk down laughing and giddy for the future or…

Walk down pretending she didn’t say no.

Good luck.

Bill is in the mail.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 06-19-2023, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Hike up to Galatea. Pack a nice lunch. Cast a 4 weight along the shoreline. Take some dries and also a small indicator and small nymphs.

After fishing and eating start walking down. Wait for a great view on the trail behind you. Fake a sore ankle. While kneeling to get up and for a helping hand. When she gives it bring out the ring and say

You have a beautiful view over my shoulders but my view is of the most beautiful woman in the world who completes me in all aspects of my existence. Please be part of the rest of my life, my partner for the future and marry me?

Good luck.

Bill is in the mail.

Haha you make it sound so easy. Lucky for me I know the answer already. The reason for this plan is that my plan to do it on Vancouver Island is taking too long and she is getting irritated that I haven't asked yet haha.

Old 06-19-2023, 11:45 AM

Wait to see if she can clean a fish before making your final decision.

Just kidding. Let us know how it goes!

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2023, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
Haha you make it sound so easy. Lucky for me I know the answer already. The reason for this plan is that my plan to do it on Vancouver Island is taking too long and she is getting irritated that I haven't asked yet haha.
Perfect.

Then plan to have a second couple or someone come along who is photo crazy… taking photos over everything.

Capture the whole proposal and in the credit scene make my name in large font… you can even do an after credit scene of me sitting in a chair, sipping a scotch and reliving the whole plan.

Epic.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 06-19-2023, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeym View Post
crowsnest area or Livingstone area. very scenic and fairly easy rivers to wade and walk. also lots of rivers in the livingstone area to try of you want a little more river to yourself.

good luck
Mike
Well, I have a different perspective. I wouldn't go anywhere near the Oldman watershed's headwaters if I wanted solitude, unless by 'rivers' you mean some of the 5th order tiny creeks.

Smitty
Old 06-21-2023, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Perfect.

Then plan to have a second couple or someone come along who is photo crazy… taking photos over everything.

Capture the whole proposal and in the credit scene make my name in large font… you can even do an after credit scene of me sitting in a chair, sipping a scotch and reliving the whole plan.

Epic.
I'm sure we could put a banner up with your photo and name somewhere during the wedding too.

Old 06-21-2023, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty9 View Post
Well, I have a different perspective. I wouldn't go anywhere near the Oldman watershed's headwaters if I wanted solitude, unless by 'rivers' you mean some of the 5th order tiny creeks.

Smitty
Looking at the various areas suggested I'm leaning towards the ram as it's only 4 hours away as opposed to the 6 ish to all the other spots.

Old 06-21-2023, 09:27 AM

I think what you are doing is great.

In your original post you stated "beginner" How is her casting skills? Because some of the nicest spots mentioned here, have foliage right up to the water...

I hope you started tying flies last January....lol

I am sure you will have a blast...

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 06-22-2023, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
I think what you are doing is great.

In your original post you stated "beginner" How is her casting skills? Because some of the nicest spots mentioned here, have foliage right up to the water...

I hope you started tying flies last January....lol

I am sure you will have a blast...

Her casting skills are currently in the realm of "bring a spinning rod just in case" so we will be playing at some trout ponds through the summer to hopefully build those skills. If not il have to find somewhere that allows standard tackle for her.

Old 06-22-2023, 04:14 PM

Teach her to roll cast. Let her get super at that. Back brush is never a problem and she’ll be able to fish way more creeks n stuff.

Roll cast is soooo underutilized by folks.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 06-22-2023, 04:29 PM

Be aware that Galatea is not an easy hike!!

Peter

The Alpine Experience

Quote:

Good luck.

Bill is in the mail.

-Confucius
Old 07-02-2023, 04:29 PM

DONT PUT THE RING ON YOUR LINE AND HAVE HER REEL IT IN.

that’s a recipe for disappointment lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-02-2023, 05:58 PM

Chester Lake in Kananaskis.

I know - its not a river, but it is teeming with trout and you are able to keep some (please confirm with regulations). Would be cool if she caught some fish that you could turn into a shore lunch.

The hike is an out and back. ~4.5 km each way and is beautiful. A few hundred meters of elevation gain but it is a very doable hike - you'll see most tourists in running shoes doing it.

Very scenic at the lake.

Good luck

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 07-02-2023, 07:01 PM

Elbow Lake Kananaskis.
Old 07-03-2023, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
Be aware that Galatea is not an easy hike!!

Peter

The Alpine Experience
I found just the last bit was a little steeper but I thought it was fine.
Old 07-03-2023, 01:49 PM

7.5 Km (one direction) with 870 m elevation gain (which is a steep hike) for one person is not the same for another!

Quote:
I found just the last bit was a little steeper but I thought it was fine.

-Confucius
Old 07-06-2023, 07:01 AM

I think so far I'm settling on the ram River. Not quite as scenic as many of the places quoted but a lot less of a drive for us and I have found a place that rents small cabins right on the river for a decent price.

Old 07-09-2023, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
I think so far I'm settling on the ram River. Not quite as scenic as many of the places quoted but a lot less of a drive for us and I have found a place that rents small cabins right on the river for a decent price.
Good call, parts of the ram are very scenic especially the canyon stretches. Levels are still high though, I'd wait a few weeks

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2023, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodhead View Post
Good call, parts of the ram are very scenic especially the canyon stretches. Levels are still high though, I'd wait a few weeks

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk
So far the target date is looking like end of August so hopefully things should have calmed down by then

Old 07-16-2023, 06:31 PM

Picklejar lake is a great places to go, tons of room for back casting, roughly 1.5-2 hour hike up (not a bad hike by any means ) first lake has tons of smaller fish and they are hungry. I caught 29 today just from the shore with a small dry fly, recommend going early early early as gets hot quickly and fishing does slow down.
Goodluck!!