Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-16-2023, 02:49 AM

Default There is hope in the Whirling Disease issue

Folks,

Colorado seems to have developed a strain of rainbows resistant to Whirling Disease (WD).
https://coloradosun.com/2020/06/04/c...rling-disease/

Don
Old 06-16-2023, 11:26 AM

What is the hope?

To stock these genetically altered fish into Alberta waters, or something else?

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 06-16-2023, 07:04 PM

Well,
When the rainbow trout who are not native are gone, perhaps these might replace them.
Of course, the Athabaska Rainbow, who are native, should be preserved at all costs.

Don
Old 06-16-2023, 11:31 PM

Or, don't introduce any more non-native fish to our flowing waters?
Let the native fishes refill the ecospace?

Will these Colorado fish do well here?
Shall we start the experimenting again?
Or should we grow our own WD resistant rainbows cutthroat and whitefish $ from local waters, save as much of the local genetics as possible?

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 06-17-2023, 07:00 AM

Good article thanks for posting it. Unfortunately there are only two species of trout that Alberta will support and Rainbows are no tone of them. Cutthroat Trout which I love, and Bull trout that are an eating factory in Cutthroat streams (am I the only one that sees the irony?),

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 06-17-2023, 09:24 AM

Would rather see more effort put into bull trout, grayling, and browns that are more resilient to WD than import over priced rainbows

As for bulls eating cutthroat when you consider the availability of bull trout fisheries and populations in North America we should be happy to have healthy bull trout populations eating some cutthroat as many areas no longer have them.

Plus bulls are far more fun to catch and are larger on average
Old 06-23-2023, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Would rather see more effort put into bull trout, grayling, and browns that are more resilient to WD than import over priced rainbows

As for bulls eating cutthroat when you consider the availability of bull trout fisheries and populations in North America we should be happy to have healthy bull trout populations eating some cutthroat as many areas no longer have them.

Plus bulls are far more fun to catch and are larger on average
And whereBulls are now viable, I agree. But along came a bunch of hydro dams and away went the Bulls. So…..

Don
Old 06-23-2023, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
And whereBulls are now viable, I agree. But along came a bunch of hydro dams and away went the Bulls. So…..

Don
Lots of factors involved in the loss of bull trout populations but everything in my post still stands
Old 06-28-2023, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Lots of factors involved in the loss of bull trout populations but everything in my post still stands
The rainbows in the Madison fell to 10% of their historic numbers when WD showed up. A small side creek, I’ve read, had a population of rainbows that were somewhat resistant to WD. These repopulated the river. Took 30 years to get to 90% of per-WD levels.
Where this experience is different than AlBerta:
1) the source water was cones from a Federally Protected land in Yellowstone Park.
2) there is very little cattle grazing along the river
3) there are no mines or mine exploration in the headwaters
4) there is no Recreational !and destruction (quads) allowed.
5) there is no villages of RV’s along the river with frying pans at ready

So, if you wait 50+ years w/o any effort taken, you MIGHT recover somewhat.

The Province doing nothing has got us Whirling Disease, Chronic Wasting, Asian Carp, invasives everywhere.

Just so you know, the Rainbows from Germany (Hofer) were exported to Germany, the ones that survived have some resistance to WD. These started in the USA and now are returning.

Of course, sitting, doing nothing has been the operating standard in Alberta for 50 years and it shows.

Don

Last edited by Don Andersen; 06-28-2023 at 05:33 PM.
Old 06-28-2023, 06:00 PM

Quote:
The rainbows in the Madison fell to 10% of their historic numbers when WD showed up. A small side creek, I’ve read, had a population of rainbows that were somewhat resistant to WD. These repopulated the river. Took 30 years to get to 90% of per-WD levels.
Where this experience is different than AlBerta:
1) the source water was cones from a Federally Protected land in Yellowstone Park.
2) there is very little cattle grazing along the river
3) there are no mines or mine exploration in the headwaters
4) there is no Recreational !and destruction (quads) allowed.
5) there is no villages of RV’s along the river with frying pans at ready

So, if you wait 50+ years w/o any effort taken, you MIGHT recover somewhat.

The Province doing nothing has got us Whirling Disease, Chronic Wasting, Asian Carp, invasives everywhere.

Just so you know, the Rainbows from Germany (Hofer) were exported to Germany, the ones that survived have some resistance to WD. These started in the USA and now are returning.

Of course, sitting, doing nothing has been the operating standard in Alberta for 50 years and it shows.

Don
Read my post again I didn’t say do nothing but instead do something different than your post suggested

As for Rainbows I know a little more than you probably realize about the species but continue your education. I was only a Chairman for the freshwater aquaculture industry in B.C. for a period and one of the top producers of rainbow trout

First tip there is strains present in Canada that are resistant to WD but they are in the private sector
Old 06-29-2023, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Read my post again I didn’t say do nothing but instead do something different than your post suggested

As for Rainbows I know a little more than you probably realize about the species but continue your education. I was only a Chairman for the freshwater aquaculture industry in B.C. for a period and one of the top producers of rainbow trout

First tip there is strains present in Canada that are resistant to WD but they are in the private sector
I done.

Sitting and watching the decline.

Don
Old 06-29-2023, 07:47 AM

Quote:
I done.

Sitting and watching the decline.

Don
Well get at it then

Complaining here won’t help
Old 06-30-2023, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Well get at it then

Complaining here won’t help
Now that is the truth.

Don
Old 07-03-2023, 08:49 AM

What stops the province from releasing some whirling disease resistant rainbows into the Crow and Bow and let nature infuse the genetics naturally?

Seems simple and cheap. Stocking truck with fish get import permit. Drive and dump where requested. Biggest cost will be delivery but lakes in Calgary used to get trout deliveries from the US.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 07-04-2023, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
What stops the province from releasing some whirling disease resistant rainbows into the Crow and Bow and let nature infuse the genetics naturally?

Seems simple and cheap. Stocking truck with fish get import permit. Drive and dump where requested. Biggest cost will be delivery but lakes in Calgary used to get trout deliveries from the US.
Nothing to prevent it. However, just think, here is the opportunity to remove rainbows. Disease will do it.
The cuts will rejoice!

Don
Old 07-04-2023, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Nothing to prevent it. However, just think, here is the opportunity to remove rainbows. Disease will do it.
The cuts will rejoice!

Don
Are cutts that resistant?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 07-18-2023, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Folks,

Colorado seems to have developed a strain of rainbows resistant to Whirling Disease (WD).
https://coloradosun.com/2020/06/04/c...rling-disease/

Don
I really appreciate you posting this Don as this does represent a possible strategy to mitigating whirling disease. I do know this has been a long process for Colorado and that the original strain they stocked which was half Hofer (German) and half Colorado River (very susceptible), didn't have much success and wasn't a very good angling fish.

However, they found a native strain (Harrison Lake) that was actually already somewhat resistant to whirling disease and combined it with the Hofer strain and they found much more success. Here is a link of their most recent publication on the matter: https://afspubs.onlinelibrary.wiley....002/nafm.10878

I can also tell you that the now deconstructed Whirling Disease Program with AB submitted genetic tissue of many different wild Rainbow and Cutthroat populations in AB to the U of A who are currently examining if we have any naturalized populations with more resistance to the disease. So there may be an avenue there.

Anyways, thank you for sharing!
Old 07-18-2023, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Are cutts that resistant?
Typically cutthroats are slightly less susceptible than rainbows but they can still be devastated by the disease and Colorado lost a good many cutthroat populations as well.