Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-19-2012, 11:26 PM

Default Flyfishing rod and reel?

I've decided to take up flyfishing now that I live so close to the Bow. Any suggestions on rods and reel. I'd like to keep it under $800 for everything, line, leader, case, etc. I know you can spend over $800 just for a rod but is it really worth it?
Old 04-19-2012, 11:46 PM

Go To bass pro grab a TFO (temple fork outfitters) fly rod and put an Orvis mid access reel on it. That was my first set up and it still is one of my set ups. For the bow I recommend a 5wght rod but you can also get a 6wght if you want Abit more back bone. But I highly recommend a TFO rod they have lifetime warranty and there great quality for only a few hundred. The Orvis reels work great and perform flawlessly and they look good to haha , my favorite is mid access reel. I'm sure you will find what your looking for there also maybe head down to country pleasures fly shop ask them to set you up and they will show you the ropes on gear!
Old 04-19-2012, 11:54 PM

Thanks uplander. The guy at fishin hole recommended TFO too. Not sure what mid access reel is but will sure to ask when I shop around some more.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:56 PM

Just my opinion, but $800 is a pretty generous budget for a flyrod. Another idea you might consider if you're going to be spending that kind of money is pick up two different set-ups.

If you really start to enjoy flying fishing, you're going to end up with more than one rod anyway. You could pick up a 4 or 5 weight for dry flies, and a 7 or 8 weight for heavier streamers and nymphing.

I agree that TFO makes a pretty decent rod for the money, and you can honestly get a very good rod / reel / line for $400. If you're just going to go with the one rod, a 6 weight would be a good compromise for the Bow. Is an $800 set up worth it for a beginner? I don't really think so.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:26 AM

You definately do not need to spend anywhere near that much. Heres an idea, you pay me the $800 and I will get you a wicked setup and teach you how to use it? In all honesty though you can spend a lot less and get a nice setup that will last you for a long time to come. Once you get the hang of it and know what you like you can go back and get a second setup.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:30 AM

Highly reccomend the TFO's, I have a few of them in different weights just picked up a 6 w BVK rod and reel, I love it!!
Old 04-20-2012, 12:36 AM

I'd recommend a slightly less fast rod than the BVK for a beginning fly fisher. I have had decent results with the Redington CT 6wt and I think it would be a good all around Bow and area rod.

The Cabelas WLx reel is very nice, designed by Waterworks-Lamson (no conical drag) and appears very nice. The St Croix Imperial is a nice stick too. Faster than the CT, but still manageable for a new caster.

Random preference: I like buying a reel one size heavy so I can use 30lb backing. Sure, 30lb is not "needed" but I like the way it sits on the reel and ties (or loops) to the flyline.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:34 AM

Yup, I like TFO as well and if you are going to do any backpacking with it, I would recommend a 4pc. I have a TFO 5wt that I use for everything on the Bow but a 6wt would work too. I absolutely love the Pflueger reels but I've heard good things about Orvis as well. Just make sure it's a large arbor reel. Also don't skimp on fly line. Pick up some Rio Gold. If you are going to get waders, make sure they are breathable, although in July and August you can mostly just wet wade the Bow.

Pick up a good fly case that you like, a landing net that has soft mesh (like rubber) that is easy on the fish. Head to a knowledgeable fly shop and let them set you up with $100+ dollars of some good nymph, streamer, and dry flies for the Bow as well as other paraphernalia like a couple 9ft leaders and some tippet in 0x, 2x, and 4x, a pair of polarized sunglasses, gink, etc, etc, etc.

$800 should get you just about everything I've suggested above.

And here http://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/ is a good site with helpful videos and the like to help with everything from casting to knots to hatches.

Good luck!

Cheers.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambo View Post
I've decided to take up flyfishing now that I live so close to the Bow. Any suggestions on rods and reel. I'd like to keep it under $800 for everything, line, leader, case, etc. I know you can spend over $800 just for a rod but is it really worth it?
Sent you a PM.

What about waders/wading boots? and keep your tuesday evenings free for meetings as this Fly fishing turns into an addiction.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:44 AM

Like others have said 800 is a pretty generous amount. You can set yourself up really nice.

350 dollars for a rod/reel combo. This is a really good setup.

St croix imperial 9' 6 weight, with a Sage 1800 series reel in the size 5/6

Both Companies have great warranties, St croix is similar to TFO. No questions ask, lifetime.

MSRP right there is about 320 together.

Then i would budget money for a line, say 70-90 dollars for either of these 2 lines. Great lines for all round trout fishing.

http://buy.scientificanglers.com/lin...t-stalker.html

http://www.rioproducts.com/fly-lines...trout/rio-gold

Next thing i'd look at is a good fly box. I love all of my scientific anglers boxes, they arent too expensive either.

http://buy.scientificanglers.com/fly...nymph-210.html

This box can hold a variety of flies, along with your indicators + split shot.

Then i would go with 3 or 4 tapered leaders, in 3x and 4x. along with 2 spools of tippet in 4x and 5x. probably looking at 70 bucks in Leaders + tippet and fly box. And grab some small sized split shot and medium Thingamabobbers while you're at it.

Head to Fish tales or Country Pleasures and tell them to set you up with the goods in flies, They will give you a good selection of flies to start out with and Fill most of your box. You could cover your bases in flies pretty easily with about 100-150 bucks.

I have sent you a PM in regards to flies as well.

While this is what i suggest, you might find other things more to your liking.

Assuming you have your own waders, and boots already? A Nice waistpack is very handy, The sage typhoon pack is really worth checking out.

Tight lines!

Last edited by Bhflyfisher; 04-20-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:25 PM

Thanks for all the replies and pm's. I've written all the advice down and going shopping this weekend.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:30 PM

Smile

Go to The Fish'n Hole. I was there with a friend the other day. The had a TFO combo that was a 6wt. It had a rod, reel and line for $219. That is one hell of a great combination for a beginner. You could probably use that rod for many years. Once you have been fly fishing for 4 or 5 years then maybe upgrade to something a bit nicer. You can always keep that rod for a back up or to let someone use that is just learning.

Rob
Old 04-21-2012, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
Both Companies have great warranties, St croix is similar to TFO. No questions ask, lifetime.
Not true. St Croix used to have a no questions warranty, but does not any longer.

Lifetime warranties really began with Redington when it was still operated by Dave Redington (now doing South Fork Rods) as a sneaky way to out market Orvis' 25 year (essentially lifetime) warranty.

Most companies though will be pretty good about replacing parts regardless (they want to keep your business). GLoomis charges 80$ for a warranty repair anyways (with a brand new rod), so who cares.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:30 AM

Hmmm, then thats changed over the past 2 years, I've still shipped in a rod i broke by accident, and all they charged me for was practically shipping and i was sent a brand new rod, this was in november last year....

They're still great rods, i'd recommend one over a TFO any day.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:47 AM
Banned

TFO all the way. I've been running a 5 wt signature series for the last 6 years, running an amundsen TXS reel with it. Can't beat the warranty, drop into springbrook, pay 30 bucks and you're on your way. With most other rods, you have to ship them away and wait for it to come back.

I've landed up to 10 pound pike on it, buckled it in half and then some and it's never let me down.

If you have $800 to spend, buy other things - or a 9 wt rod setup for larger fish. Good waders are priceless, the other gear can add up in a royal hurry.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:59 AM

Went to Bass Pro Shops yesterday and bought a
TFO BVK 6wt 9' rod
White River Classic reel
Sage fly line
and WR hard case

Ian in the fly shop was a great help, didn't try to upsell me the expensive stuff. I like the feel of the BVK rod and WR Classic reel.

Next on the shopping list: flies, net, tools, etc...

Thanks again for all the suggestions!
Old 04-22-2012, 09:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
TFO BVK 6wt 9' rod
White River Classic reel
Sage fly line
and WR hard case

Ian in the fly shop was a great help, didn't try to upsell me the expensive stuff. I like the feel of the BVK rod and WR Classic reel.

Way cool, i'm looking at a BVK too. For flies, hit up icky fly works, good ties, great service. When I started nymphing the bow last year, I was losing flies like crazy, spending a fortune in a week at the local shops. Get yourself a measuring net, great to have.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
TFO BVK 6wt 9' rod
White River Classic reel
Sage fly line
and WR hard case

Congrats on your new set up!! Its going to be a fun year on the Bow for you!
Old 04-22-2012, 10:55 AM

RATS I MISSED OUT

I have a TFO 5wt 9ft. brand new never used.

I guess I should advertise this stuff.