Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-17-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5x47 View Post
I've spoken to many residents now that believe this to also be the case. Peace river fires and Mayerthorpe fires - both declared arson. It's only the followers of this forum that are looking the other way.
I would assume that the voluntary Fireman kid in Mayerthorpe that started those fires was not anti-oil related....but Fort Mcmurray fires, who's to say how they have been started....
Old 05-17-2016, 12:45 PM

If they do determine these fires to be arson and find the guy that did it they should burn him on a stake and see how much he likes fires then...
Old 05-17-2016, 04:29 PM

Notley said that electricity and gas had begun to be restored to undamaged parts of the city, but progress halted on Monday when conditions — particularly air quality concerns — forced Atco workers out of Fort McMurray.

The gas and power restoration may have been too early and caused the explosions.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:56 PM

I thought it was a joke when the evac order came down. 5 minutes later I was on my way south. Stopped at Wandering River for the night and got the all clear this morning, so back at it up here. Very impressive to see how quickly services are being restored. Once water is good to go then I can imagine some essential businesses will be able to open to assist in the return for residents. Air quality is not so good yet either.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5x47 View Post
I've spoken to many residents now that believe this to also be the case. Peace river fires and Mayerthorpe fires - both declared arson. It's only the followers of this forum that are looking the other way.
Well with no lightning storm, no railway tracks, obviously nobody out for a ride on the trails on their atv there, how does a fire just start? I understand a broken bottle and the sun in the right place could possibly do it, but the timing and location seems too coincidental.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
nothing more than 'wow'

I'll be there to keep reminding you of this even after it becomes mainstrem knowledge.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:05 PM
Gone Hunting

A good friend was on the fire running a Haglund hauling gear for the fire crews, and stabled at the Blacksands camp. Last night at around 11:00 pm they were told to get their asses out. He said that going south on 63, to McDonald Island where they were sent to, there were walls of flame in the bush on the west side of the highway. Only too happy to be out and have everything that he went with come out with him!!!!
Old 05-18-2016, 03:28 PM

some residents of Fort McMurray could return to the city June 1st, as long as five conditions are met.

Premier Rachel Notley says, as long as the safety conditions are met, the re-entry should be complete by June 15th.

Re-entry will be performed in phases to allow efficient traffic flow along Hwy 63. Notley outlined the dates and communities for re-entry as follows:

June 1 – Lower townsite, Anzac and First Nations communities
June 2 – North Fort McMurray, including Timberlea and Thickwood
June 3 – South Fort McMurray, including Gregoire, Saline Creek
June 4- Abasand, Beacon Hill and Saprae Creek
The five conditions identified by the Alberta government are as follows:

The wildfire is no longer an imminent threat to the community;
Critical infrastructure is restored;
Essential services are restored;
Hazardous areas are secured;
Local government is re-established.
Notley is urging residents to remember June 1 is a voluntary return date, and areas where return is allowed on a different date will remain under a mandatory evacuation order. Those with existing respiratory issues, who are pregnant, or who are receiving cancer treatments are urged to not return to Fort McMurray until a later date.

Restoration on the hospital had to be put on hold because of the air quality, but Notley says it will be able to provide basic services as of June 1. (kb)
Old 05-18-2016, 07:39 PM

Anyone know how far down 881 the fire is?
Heard that moose haven lodge was getting evacuated. From the map this morning the fires edge was east of engstrom lake.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:01 PM

Just back from there today. Can't see all of that being accomplished by June 1st.

Forecasting has the wildfire remaining a threat for the next 7 days. Multiple large fires burning in all directions of the city - N, S, E and W and still encroaching on city limits and threatening structures. The directions of the fires is at the mercy of the direction of the winds and it keeps changing.

I'm not being pessimistic, rather I think it is unrealistic unless there are a lot of things that align at the same time.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:18 PM

Lots to be done. Maybe some areas will be ready by then. But only if the best conditions prevail.

Apparently the fire is at the railway crossing south of Anzac. Just a matter of hours before its at my cabin door step.... Hope for the best I guess. I'm sure many cabins have been lost on the 400K hectares.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight01 View Post
Lots to be done. Maybe some areas will be ready by then. But only if the best conditions prevail.

Apparently the fire is at the railway crossing south of Anzac. Just a matter of hours before its at my cabin door step.... Hope for the best I guess. I'm sure many cabins have been lost on the 400K hectares.
You mean the crossing half way between Anzac and Janvier?
Old 05-18-2016, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
You mean the crossing half way between Anzac and Janvier?
Yes. That's where I was told it was now. Hopefully the rain can hamper it. Otherwise the northerly wind bringing the cool rain will keep pushing the fire south to Janvier.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_Wagon View Post
some residents of Fort McMurray could return to the city June 1st, as long as five conditions are met.

Premier Rachel Notley says, as long as the safety conditions are met, the re-entry should be complete by June 15th.

Re-entry will be performed in phases to allow efficient traffic flow along Hwy 63. Notley outlined the dates and communities for re-entry as follows:

June 1 – Lower townsite, Anzac and First Nations communities
June 2 – North Fort McMurray, including Timberlea and Thickwood
June 3 – South Fort McMurray, including Gregoire, Saline Creek
June 4- Abasand, Beacon Hill and Saprae Creek
The five conditions identified by the Alberta government are as follows:

The wildfire is no longer an imminent threat to the community;
Critical infrastructure is restored;
Essential services are restored;
Hazardous areas are secured;
Local government is re-established.
Notley is urging residents to remember June 1 is a voluntary return date, and areas where return is allowed on a different date will remain under a mandatory evacuation order. Those with existing respiratory issues, who are pregnant, or who are receiving cancer treatments are urged to not return to Fort McMurray until a later date.

Restoration on the hospital had to be put on hold because of the air quality, but Notley says it will be able to provide basic services as of June 1. (kb)
With luck I will be up sooner than I thought!
Depending on whether or not we lost power I could have done premium wolf bait for Popcan!
Cat
Old 05-19-2016, 04:59 AM

Cat - any news about the fire near/at the Enbridge tank farm ?
Old 05-19-2016, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves1 View Post
Cat - any news about the fire near/at the Enbridge tank farm ?
If your referring to the Highway 881 Tank farm, our tank farm is right across the road (Statoil) and the fires are still active all around there. Watching them on our surveillance cameras as I type.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:00 AM

And there you have it!
I may be able to get back up in a few weeks but the smoke is pretty thick!
Cat
Old 05-19-2016, 09:12 AM

It's nice to see a proposed timeline that isn't that far away. Hopefully there won't be any more explosions. A friend was relieved that his house survived the fire, and then the other day it was one of the homes involved in one of the explosions.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It's nice to see a proposed timeline that isn't that far away. Hopefully there won't be any more explosions. A friend was relieved that his house survived the fire, and then the other day it was one of the homes involved in one of the explosions.
Aw NUTS!
Just when you think the worst is over.....
Cat
Old 05-19-2016, 11:45 AM

I guess there is a second 50 Ha fire just northwest of the Janvier turn off. It started near the railway west of the moose haven lodge. Not sure where the McMurray fire south front is.

Last edited by Flight01; 05-19-2016 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight01 View Post
I guess there is a second 50 Ha fire just northwest of the Janvier turn off. It started near the railway west of the moose haven lodge. Not sure where the McMurray fire south front is.
Not sure if this has been posted yet but ....

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/blo...23000-hectares
Old 05-19-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandliver View Post

Yikes, that puts a good view of the beast.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandliver View Post

Looking at that map , it looks like it got the Surmont camp I was staying at last winter. Tank farm I was asking about is 5 min north of that camp & that back road that goes to Sask (just a winter road ?).

Area of the pipe line to Jacos looks clear right now, but with this wind.....
Old 05-19-2016, 09:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves1 View Post
Looking at that map , it looks like it got the Surmont camp I was staying at last winter. Tank farm I was asking about is 5 min north of that camp & that back road that goes to Sask (just a winter road ?).

Area of the pipe line to Jacos looks clear right now, but with this wind.....
Looks like it took out nexen?
Old 05-19-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by play.soccer View Post
Looks like it took out nexen?
IIRC it took out the camp but not the site
Cat
Old 05-19-2016, 10:16 PM

Default Pic

Here's a pic I took on Monday while my crew was doing recon in Timberlea. This is the fire that went past town and ended up hitting Blacksands camp. Pretty helpless feeling as a firefighter to watch that go by...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5941.jpg (31.4 KB, 84 views)
Old 05-19-2016, 10:28 PM

Default Nexen

Nexen still good, tank farm has a 15 dozer wide break all around it.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:04 PM
Banned

Personally it wouldn't hurt my feelings if it hit PTI kearl lake camp.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:44 PM

1.6 billion for Syrian Muslims but he`ll only match what the Red Cross raises for Fort Mac !!!

"Showing up while firefighters are battling wildfires would not be a useful thing."

Dear PM Trudeau,

Since the election of your government and Alberta's government, I've admitted defeat and stayed out of the politics and sat on the sides waiting for "change." However, after viewing a recent news clip, I now have a serious problem.

When the refugees landed, you were there to greet them with clothing and a warm embrace. When you decided to invest our money and support behind the First Nations, you were there to take pictures in a head dress and once again, offer a warm embrace.

Yet when the city that contributed an astronomical amount of money to this province and country is burning to the ground, it's not convenient for you? Where is their warm embrace? How about roll up your sleeves and go to the emergency centre's and hand out water, talk to the people so you can understand this tragedy, offer a damn hug.

You care about everyone else but not anyone from this province. You are treating Alberta like the sh*t stain on your high priced underwear. I'm completely disgusted in our government, federally and provincially. Oh, I forgot..."the government will match our individual donations." Seriously?! I know people (ourselves included) that are either without jobs or have taken significant cuts and we still have found ways to contribute to building Fort Mac back up. We are all doing our part.

You know what's not convenient? Having your damn house burn to the ground and only having the clothes on your back. Trying to comfort your starving, cold infant. Crying because you know your house is gone and you had a beloved pet trapped inside. Starting your kids in a new school in a new town because theirs is gone. Having to put your pride aside and wear someone else's clothing and sleep in someone else's home because you literally have no choice and no where to go. I hope when you lay down your nicely brushed, clean (ash-free) hair at night, you get the most amazing sleep. I hope your conscience is clear. Don't worry, Alberta (and numerous other provinces) are taking care of our own. Please, don't break a sweat or roll up your sleeves and help, we wouldn't want to inconvenience you. 

Sincerely,

One disgusted Albertan

p.s he has just now announced millions ,, 20% increase .. to other countries ?
Old 05-20-2016, 08:52 PM
Gone Hunting

Good news I hope.

It started raining here yesterday evening. By this morning we had four inches of snow on the ground and puddles of water everywhere.

Further south, Manning to Peace River they had to plow the roads. Some places got a foot of wet snow and close to an inch of rain with it.
Lots of trees down, trunks snapped off half way up, power out, roads impassable to anything except four wheel drive vehicles.

Friends in the Dixonville area have been without power of 20 hours now.

And it's moving east slowly and still raining here.
Forecast is for it to end this evening, but more on the way in a couple of days.

George Bernard Shaw