Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-13-2023, 10:41 AM

Default Who would be interested in a group fishing trip to Cuba?

I found a great group deal last year and thinking about doing another trip in 2024. Maybe year end 2023 but my timing is tight.

Bonefish, tarpon, permit and many other species.

Fly fishing only off a live aboard boat.

However someone who wants to troll with a fly rod on the reef will tag lots and lots of fish.

Just seeing what interest there is. I can find some dates. Cost will be about $4000 US for the fishing lodge plus airfare to Cuba. Last one we went to had unlimited drinks. I had way too many mojitos plus lost count of how many lobsters I ate.

We can meet up and discuss flies and gear with anyone interested. I can also get a price on rod rentals. Just need your own leaders and flies.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 06-15-2023, 05:14 PM

To answer a question. Looks like airlines give a group discount also. 10 or more people.

Just want everyone to have the same info.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 06-16-2023, 07:57 AM

Thanks!!!

I'm giving this some serious consideration. The only thing is I have a WestJet credit from the recent strike and was thinking of heading to Miami for some insure/offshore fishing. If that is not going to happen then Cuba might just happen.
Old 06-18-2023, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Thanks!!!

I'm giving this some serious consideration. The only thing is I have a WestJet credit from the recent strike and was thinking of heading to Miami for some insure/offshore fishing. If that is not going to happen then Cuba might just happen.
Cool. On both of my live aboard trips I was able to catch tarpon off the back of the boat at night. Also some snapper and jacks.
Old 06-18-2023, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Thanks!!!

Need to ask you this also.

What would you prefer. A live aboard or shore based?

Shore based is cheaper. I feel the live aboard has faster access to fishing. The live aboard as mentioned has some self fishing opportunities after dark.

I found both option have lots of fish to catch. Live aboard has more tarpon I’ve found.

Food has been better on the live aboard. Lots of lobster on past trips.

Some live aboards include alcohol. I lost my mojito count.

Live aboards have rod rentals.

Gear I like is

2 - 8 weights floating for bones
1- 9 weight floating for permit
1- 10 weight floating for tarpon and cuda
1- 11 weight intermediate for tarpon
1- 12 weight for large tarpon if available

On the live aboards You can often troll off the reef with the larger rods and never know what bites from cubera snapper, grouper, jacks, pompano, sharks, cudas, tuna…

I tie my own flies. Most are very simple flies. Key is hook quality. Gamakatsu and Owners are my picks.
Old 06-20-2023, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Need to ask you this also.

What would you prefer. A live aboard or shore based?

Shore based is cheaper. I feel the live aboard has faster access to fishing. The live aboard as mentioned has some self fishing opportunities after dark.

I found both option have lots of fish to catch. Live aboard has more tarpon I’ve found.

Food has been better on the live aboard. Lots of lobster on past trips.

Some live aboards include alcohol. I lost my mojito count.

Live aboards have rod rentals.

Gear I like is

2 - 8 weights floating for bones
1- 9 weight floating for permit
1- 10 weight floating for tarpon and cuda
1- 11 weight intermediate for tarpon
1- 12 weight for large tarpon if available

On the live aboards You can often troll off the reef with the larger rods and never know what bites from cubera snapper, grouper, jacks, pompano, sharks, cudas, tuna…

I tie my own flies. Most are very simple flies. Key is hook quality. Gamakatsu and Owners are my picks.
Live aboard. If I'm going to spend some good coin in fishing I want all the accessibility.

I'm a big fly fisher....even with Tarpon I would like to make that a reality...painful though it may be
I have a 7 wt and 10 wt. Might consider renting a 9 wt as well.

I have two good flats fishing fly boxes. Lots of shrimp patterns and crab. Some good minnow patterns as well. Also have some good streamers for really anything. I tie my own ...maybe just not well
Old 06-21-2023, 02:53 PM

Default Sure.... :)

I'm interested, as long as we can talk politics after fishing with copious amounts of alcohol.

Smitty
Old 09-15-2023, 03:07 PM

Okay. So have a deal lined up and have spots left.
JA4 in the Jardines.

March 15-23, 2024. Price is very, very good. Need to move fast so let me know if you are interested and we will get going!

Fish here last year and it was amazing.