Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-02-2023, 03:24 PM

Default Fishing in Drayton Valley area

Hi all. My wife and I had a change in plans and will now be camping for a week or so in the Drayton Valley area next week. I've never fished in this region so I'm wondering if it's trout or pike/walleye that I need to target. Some of the obvious rivers not too far away would be the N. Saskatchewan, Pembina and maybe the Brazeau. This isn't an attempt to hot spot, just trying to figure out what to target. I've never fly fished for pike and walleye so it could be an adventure if that's what I'm looking at. Thanks.
Old 08-02-2023, 05:12 PM

Well pike, walleye, goldeye and trout are all a possibility

Do you have any form of boat or do you plan to shore fish?

If you have never caught pike on the fly and want to I can definitely make a recommendation

Where are you camping?
Old 08-03-2023, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Well pike, walleye, goldeye and trout are all a possibility

Do you have any form of boat or do you plan to shore fish?

If you have never caught pike on the fly and want to I can definitely make a recommendation

Where are you camping?
I guess a few more details would have helped 🤨
We’re only a couple miles from town, no boat so it’ll be fishing from shore and I’ve never fly fished for pike, walleye or gold eye. Looking at Google Maps it appears shore access is possible further west (crown land).
Old 08-03-2023, 07:07 AM

Well shore access spots are meh i comparison but I will shot you a PM with information on a pike location
Old 08-03-2023, 09:45 AM

The North Raven River (Stauffer Creek), the Raven River, and the Red Deer River are all possibilities.

Vic
Old 08-04-2023, 02:19 PM

Some nice streams at the end of elk river road where it joins the forestry road ,then hang a left and it hits a bigger river .
Old 08-04-2023, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Some nice streams at the end of elk river road where it joins the forestry road ,then hang a left and it hits a bigger river .
That would be the Pembina river. It and all tributaries are closed to all fishing from the Lodgepole bridge on HWY 753 upstream all the way to the headwaters. Seventh year it has been closed now. The bigger river to the left(south on the trunk road) is the Brazeau river, it is open to fishng.
Old 08-05-2023, 03:44 PM

Default Straw Picknick Basket, Late Summer

#2 Snelled Hook with a 2x2 cube of Alberta Bison Flank Hide intact Mustad buried but doubled back and through both sides od the hide. Flank is the last side left in the stream where giant schools of Bullies feast on the boon over time.
Old 08-07-2023, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronaut View Post
#2 Snelled Hook with a 2x2 cube of Alberta Bison Flank Hide intact Mustad buried but doubled back and through both sides od the hide. Flank is the last side left in the stream where giant schools of Bullies feast on the boon over time.
Not sure I am reading your post correctly, are you advising to someone use bait in streams targeting bull trout?

I highly suggest you read the regs man, and leave the 1950's behind as well.
Old 08-09-2023, 12:56 PM

Thanks all for your replies. Because of circumstances I didn't range too far so I wandered up and down the Pembina at a couple of the highway crossings. I'm back in to fly fishing after a 30 year hiatus so it was mostly casting practice and untangling leaders. I wasn't sure what to do for a leader (Smoky, saw your message regarding leaders only today) so I took a 3 foot section of the butt from a 0X leader (30lb I think), reduced that with 2-3 feet of 25 lb and then to a 4" piece of 12 lb wire leader. I did manage a single hookup on a 3X size 2 chartreuse wooly bugger that I had floating around from fishing the Bow back when. Not sure what it was or how big because my improved clinch knot failed It was at least big enough to put a decent bend into my old 9', 6 wt Sage. That was frustrating but it was still great to be out on a river again.