Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-30-2023, 10:53 AM

Default car repair ripoff

my wife took her car in because of check engine light, they told her it was her upper exhaust pipe leaking, repair cost just over 900. Thinking it sounded pretty high i did some checking, their quoted prices were pipe 564,2 gaskets just over 100, 3 nuts 75. So i called gm for prices the pipe was 341 and oh yes that includes the 2 gaskets, the 3 nuts cost 4.50 each. When i went back to the repair shop and presented my prices
they agreed to drop 400 off the bill. so do not be afraid to do a little homework.
Old 08-30-2023, 11:16 AM

So I take it that your FFing equipment was in the trunk of the car since this is posted in the flyfishing section. Inquiring minds have a need to know.
Old 08-30-2023, 07:54 PM

I've always found that removing your car from the auto shop's parking lot before you haggle over the bill tends to help. Theres been a few times that a disagreement over billing appears to be going nowhere until I mention... "Just so you know, all we're arguing over is the spare keys"... usually followed by a complete change of attitude.

Sure, if they really wanted to get a collections agency after me I'd have to pay what they want, but I think trying to collect on unpaid bills is more of a widespread problem with automotive shops than most people would think. If the conversation looks like its headed in that direction and the shop realizes they dont hold any collateral, they would generally rather trim the bill than get caught up in another unprofitable dispute.

I'm not saying that this is how business should be done in general, but in blatant examples like where the shop is billing for more hours than the vehicle was actually on the premises, or trying to bill for fixing damage that they caused... bring the spare keys and a buddy, play nice until the vehicle is gone, then start the negotiations.

Last edited by Bushleague; 08-30-2023 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-30-2023, 08:57 PM

Start price checking parts. It’ll blow your mind. Quite literally everything I looked at was double at the dealership.

Now labor and shop costs I can understand, even if I don’t like paying for em. But 100% markup, no friggen way.

Truck hasn’t seen the inside of a dealership since I figured it out. YouTube and a set of wrenches. A guy can figure it out, most of the time.
Old 08-31-2023, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Start price checking parts. It’ll blow your mind. Quite literally everything I looked at was double at the dealership.

Now labor and shop costs I can understand, even if I don’t like paying for em. But 100% markup, no friggen way.

Truck hasn’t seen the inside of a dealership since I figured it out. YouTube and a set of wrenches. A guy can figure it out, most of the time.
You tube has been a blessing. Fixed the Wife's Air conditioning... was quoted close to $500 to fix a A/C door(actuator). A quick google to get an idea of what part i needed, and then youtube on how to replace it. All it ended up costing me was $40 for the part and about 30 minutes of my time.
Old 08-31-2023, 07:23 AM

You know what the very best solution is? Find an actual good, trustworthy mechanic to build a bit of a relationship with.

It’s why I post a thread occasionally if I need mechanic work for recommendations… profit isn’t a dirty word but there are a lot of shops out there who either don’t have a clue or are really trying to compete with their dentist on who has the higher markup.
Old 08-31-2023, 07:38 AM

My 16 corolla the water pump was leaking so Toyota gave me a quote 800 to change. They told me that it was better to have them do it i said im a licensed HD parts guy says but that is a car laughed and walked away. Ordered the part $45 installed in an hour. Rip off *****s.

The wifes 4 runner told her $2200 to do all four i but top on the line and installed for $1000 😂😂😂
Old 08-31-2023, 08:12 AM

One of my local mega sized ag dealers now charges an Ag Carbon Tax Surcharge fee on every line item on the repair bill if you hire their mechanics to do the work. They are physically showing you how they are stealing from you. It’s also not a set percentage. It’s like a random number they pull from the sky.
Old 08-31-2023, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stc77 View Post
You tube has been a blessing. Fixed the Wife's Air conditioning... was quoted close to $500 to fix a A/C door(actuator). A quick google to get an idea of what part i needed, and then youtube on how to replace it. All it ended up costing me was $40 for the part and about 30 minutes of my time.
Yes, you tube been great, had to take my full dash and steering out of my F350 to replace a blend door actuator! You tubed it and found that ford put in two " hidden bolts " they hid them behind a rubber gromits on each side of the dash.

If it wasn't for you tube I would have thought the six bolts you can actually get at around the dash where the only ones, probably would have wrecked the dash trying to remove it.

Tommy
Old 08-31-2023, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
Yes, you tube been great, had to take my full dash and steering out of my F350 to replace a blend door actuator! You tubed it and found that ford put in two " hidden bolts " they hid them behind a rubber gromits on each side of the dash.

If it wasn't for you tube I would have thought the six bolts you can actually get at around the dash where the only ones, probably would have wrecked the dash trying to remove it.

Tommy
I had to take out the glovebox and then reach up through a tiny space to try to get the actuator off and then install the new one. Drew some blood on the forearm and hand...but got er done. Wife was happy to have A/c again for the summer. Youtube for the win.
Old 08-31-2023, 02:01 PM

No different than ordering a glass of wine at a restaurant and paying $15 when the whole bottle at the store is $20.

People go to a dealership where their monthly expenses are probably close to six figures and expect them to sell and replace the part for the same price as buying it online and free labour?

I actually feel sorry for retail businesses that have to compete with online pricing.
Old 08-31-2023, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
The wifes 4 runner told her $2200 to do all four i but top on the line and installed for $1000 😂😂😂
Needed shocks/struts for my 4Runner. Dealer parts and work was quoted around $3K (I don’t recall the exact number). Parts alone were around about $2,400. Installed bilstein myself for under $400. That was probably 6 years ago.
Old 08-31-2023, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post
No different than ordering a glass of wine at a restaurant and paying $15 when the whole bottle at the store is $20.

People go to a dealership where their monthly expenses are probably close to six figures and expect them to sell and replace the part for the same price as buying it online and free labour?

I actually feel sorry for retail businesses that have to compete with online pricing.
This for sure!
Also there is the circumstances where on-line jobber parts are a great deal, until they fail because they are junk. Just watched a guy get a turbo on-line for under half what the dealer charged. Lasted two whole days.
Old 08-31-2023, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmay View Post
This for sure!
Also there is the circumstances where on-line jobber parts are a great deal, until they fail because they are junk. Just watched a guy get a turbo on-line for under half what the dealer charged. Lasted two whole days.

100%

I think it is important for consumers to always price check, some due diligence, and if need be....not necessarily call out/accuse the dealership but ask for clarification.

I have an 09 Frontier that I purchased new, its obviously getting older. I do my own work when I can. To be honest I find that there is less discrepancy between dealership prices (parts only) and online than there used to be.
Old 08-31-2023, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
My 16 corolla the water pump was leaking so Toyota gave me a quote 800 to change. They told me that it was better to have them do it i said im a licensed HD parts guy says but that is a car laughed and walked away. Ordered the part $45 installed in an hour. Rip off *****s.

Belt and Tension Idler Pulley on daughters 2006 Corolla. Parts were $76 at Warehouse Supply, took about a hour and no special tools. Quote at dealer was $965!!!
Old 08-31-2023, 05:24 PM

Anyone that actually goes to a dealer is a huge sucker...Unless under warranty, stay far away from stealerships!
Old 08-31-2023, 05:51 PM

The fact is most customers don’t even know on their automobile where the Dipstick is located. Dealers rely on this, just like common voter. Politicians rely on ignorance. Most of the population is busy with there own lives, no time to sit down digest, solve there personnel problems (family, finances, auto, politics). This where AO comes in for many. AO has correct answers for everything 😆🎯🎯🎯.
Old 08-31-2023, 09:23 PM

Had an 09 ram, rear diff leak. Looked online, sure enough recall. Me and dad got under there..... clear as day rear diff leak. Took to dealer, they fixed, when picking up was handed and invoice for evaluation, or diagnostic, whatever. At the top of invoice says customer spotted rear diff leak. Tried charging for what we told them was wrong. After a quick chat the invoice was tossed. They will try anything. As previously mentioned try and find yourselves 1 trusted mechanic and stick with them, throw them $50 or $100 at christmas..... worth it. As some things these days can't be done easily my the normal dude. Sensors and all the computer stuff.
Old 08-31-2023, 10:44 PM

I did the manifold and studs on my ram hemi, I think I paid less than $100 for the studs and gaskets.
Old 09-01-2023, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
I've always found that removing your car from the auto shop's parking lot before you haggle over the bill tends to help. Theres been a few times that a disagreement over billing appears to be going nowhere until I mention... "Just so you know, all we're arguing over is the spare keys"... usually followed by a complete change of attitude.

Sure, if they really wanted to get a collections agency after me I'd have to pay what they want, but I think trying to collect on unpaid bills is more of a widespread problem with automotive shops than most people would think. If the conversation looks like its headed in that direction and the shop realizes they dont hold any collateral, they would generally rather trim the bill than get caught up in another unprofitable dispute.

I'm not saying that this is how business should be done in general, but in blatant examples like where the shop is billing for more hours than the vehicle was actually on the premises, or trying to bill for fixing damage that they caused... bring the spare keys and a buddy, play nice until the vehicle is gone, then start the negotiations.
i would put a lean on your car immediately , if you agreed to the quoted price its your baby . But i own a small shop that is swamped because of fair pricing so then again since i'd have your address on file i might come take my parts back with a few buddies on stand by right at your house , then you can argue over a disabled car.
Old 09-01-2023, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpete1 View Post
i would put a lean on your car immediately , if you agreed to the quoted price its your baby . But i own a small shop that is swamped because of fair pricing so then again since i'd have your address on file i might come take my parts back with a few buddies on stand by right at your house , then you can argue over a disabled car.
When I bring you a truck and tell you that its throwing missfire codes on cylinder's 6 and 8. Come back 6 hours later, I'm looking at a bill for 10 hours and all you can helpfully tell me is that its throwing missfire codes... I have agree'd to nothing.

When I bring a vehicle in because you have over torqued the lug nuts so badly that it needs to be taken to a welding shop and have the nuts gouged off and the studs replaced... and then you try to make me pay that bill... Likewise.

If you run an honest shop thats not something I would ever do, however, the minuet a shop starts acting like they've got me bent over a barrel because they have my vehicle, I dont play that game.

Last edited by Bushleague; 09-01-2023 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-01-2023, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
When I bring you a truck and tell you that its throwing missfire codes on cylinder's 6 and 8. Come back 6 hours later, I'm looking at a bill for 10 hours and all you can helpfully tell me is that its throwing missfire codes... I have agree'd to nothing.

When I bring a vehicle in because you have over torqued the lug nuts so badly that it needs to be taken to a welding shop and have the nuts gouged off and the studs replaced... and then you try to make me pay that bill... Likewise.

If you run an honest shop thats not something I would ever do, however, the minuet a shop starts acting like they've got me bent over a barrel because they have my vehicle, I dont play that game.
Do you consider that maybe 2 techs are working on it?
Old 09-02-2023, 09:37 AM

I was looking around for brake pads, shoes, hardware, drums, rotors on my Taco a few months back, Tojo was 100.00 difference from places I get still get discounts at from previous workplace after retirement. After 295,000 km, and due to not being able to get everything in one place other than Tojo, went with that, just shy of 900.00. It'll last me for the life of the truck, got the right stuff first time. Had a Tojo since 92, seldom found them overpriced for the product they sold, often the same or cheaper on the faster moving items. There are things they rape you on, 700.00 for the LH window switch, still haven't bought that yet, can get RH aftermarket, but, not that version of LH. Cleaned it a couple of times, got it working again, needs to be done again, see if I can get it working again with just cleaning.
Old 09-02-2023, 04:17 PM

Careful what you wish for.. they may be installing cheap parts vs OEM, to make up for the lost revenue.

Also. I would never trust that place to fix my car properly at the lower price. I can guarantee they didn't do their top work.
Old 09-02-2023, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron anderson View Post
So 2 techs to tell him what he told them already? Even worse.
2 techs over torquing tires from same shop? Even worse.
There is a line where after it’s crossed things get ridiculous.
Old 09-03-2023, 07:45 AM

I had a Toyota Venza that would randomly kill the battery. Was wifes vehicle and she drove it daily. One morning it was completely dead, so I had it towed to Mayfield Toyota. Told them I wanted to find the cause of killing the battery. Half a day later they tell me come and pick it up, service manager calls me over and says " we found the reason your car wont start is that it has a dead battery" I **** you not... was the start of a short relationship with them.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 09-05-2023, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron anderson View Post
Regardless of number of people... after 10 man hours you should be able to give me more information on the vehicle, than I told you when I showed up... not less.

Especially when it only took me 10 minuets to figure out said information.

The absolute best is when you are looking at over an hour's worth of diagnostic's checking, all they can do is tell you what codes are being thrown... and they want to know if you would like to pay even MORE money for them to delete the codes.

Honestly, by now I just expect to get violated when I go to an auto shop... but charging an hour just to read codes (no additional checking apparently, because I specifically ask that question) and then wanting to charge even more just to delete them is laughable.

Last edited by Bushleague; 09-05-2023 at 02:14 PM.