Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-02-2016, 11:50 AM

Default Easter weekend bug chuckin

Buddy and I are planning on doing a trip somewhere Easter weekend for some fly fishing. Have the itch bad! We have the oldman or Athabasca on the brain.. Im leaning towards oldman as we have fished it before and along with bulls im confident we could find some other feesh. Athabasca is an unkown to me and we really just want to get into some trout size isn't as much an issue on this trip just looking to get some bent rods. Anyone have any thoughts or advice? We would be leaving from Edmonton with either tent trailer or stay in hotel. Will pretty much go anywhere!

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Old 03-02-2016, 12:26 PM

Athabasca fishes excellent in the spring when it first opens nice rainbows and bulls. Deep holes for bulls. rainbows at the mouths of tribs. some nice grayling at times aswell.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:18 PM

For Athabasca, would it be better to target inside or outside the jasper boundaries?
Old 03-02-2016, 03:38 PM

I don't think AthaB is open in that area until April 1st.
Easter weekend is at the end of Mar.

It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong but a quick check of the regs would confirm.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipco View Post
I don't think AthaB is open in that area until April 1st.
Easter weekend is at the end of Mar.

It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong but a quick check of the regs would confirm.
im pretty sure your correct, im having a tough time figuring out where its open if it is. As I know a few forum members were up there by the falls this past weekend. Id like to do the bow but it scares me, been skunked a few to many times
Old 03-02-2016, 04:59 PM

Do the bow that time of year when you get into the rainbows you get into a lot of them and good size. Fish a little faster water with heavy white silver streamers bounce them through the rocks.
Good luck.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:04 PM

Crows nest pass area is always good if the movie water is no good there's tons of still water to fish.

"Theirs a fine Line between fishing and standing on the shore like a dummy" - steven
Old 03-02-2016, 10:50 PM

Drive West. Skeena.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:53 AM

Default fishing

Oldman river. If you go further upstream where the forestry road is, there is lots of creeks there. Also great for setting up a tent trailer.
Time of year- dont know how fishing is, summer is great. cutthroats!
Old 03-03-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfri View Post
Oldman river. If you go further upstream where the forestry road is, there is lots of creeks there. Also great for setting up a tent trailer.
Time of year- dont know how fishing is, summer is great. cutthroats!
was in this area for 8 days in the trailer last September had an unbelievable time. however that area is closed at this time.

am considering the bow, it may be time for revenge!

and thanks bhy I do want to get there at some point but that's a wee bit to far for the weekend. guess I should have said anywhere in alberta.

We were originally going to hit the elk and do some nymph and streamers for those beauty cuts, but really don't feel like payin all the extra for classified licenses when we just did the elk couple months ago.

thanks everyone
Old 03-07-2016, 11:57 AM

So we have decided we will be staying in lethbridge and fishing the oldman from the reservoir down to lethbridge.

If anyone has some more specific areas we should focus on that would be greatly appreciated! this is a whole new area and time of year for us!

Fly suggestions will also be very helpful! thanks everyone will update after the trip!
Old 03-10-2016, 12:16 AM

Coming all that way, you have to give the Crow some time too. Lots of access points and water should be low and clear while you're here.

Section of the Oldman below the dam that runs along the Cottonwood campground is decent. Some deep runs through here, I've done well with streamers and slow drifting large stones with a san juan dropper.

Downstream of the campground, there's a bridge that crosses the river, just past the feedlot on HWY 3, you can work your way upstream from here as well. Downstream of the feedlot, the river runs through the Reserve all the way to Fort Macleod so you can't fish there. The closer you get to Lethbridge, the trout get fewer and the warm water fish take over.

I'll hopefully be giving the Oldman a try in the next couple weeks and have an update for you.

Here's one from last year from late March, not big but it bent the rod! Cheers!

Old 03-10-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacman View Post
Coming all that way, you have to give the Crow some time too. Lots of access points and water should be low and clear while you're here.

Section of the Oldman below the dam that runs along the Cottonwood campground is decent. Some deep runs through here, I've done well with streamers and slow drifting large stones with a san juan dropper.

Downstream of the campground, there's a bridge that crosses the river, just past the feedlot on HWY 3, you can work your way upstream from here as well. Downstream of the feedlot, the river runs through the Reserve all the way to Fort Macleod so you can't fish there. The closer you get to Lethbridge, the trout get fewer and the warm water fish take over.

I'll hopefully be giving the Oldman a try in the next couple weeks and have an update for you.

Here's one from last year from late March, not big but it bent the rod! Cheers!

Thanks Hac!
that's kinda the area I have been reading on and looking at on maps!
Also I had decided after I posted last we are going to give the crow a try for one of the days!
thanks a bunch look forward to your update and getting there myself!
Beauty bow that's all im after! wouldn't mind a sizeable bull as well but beggars cant be choosers!
Old 03-21-2016, 05:58 PM

Default Update from Sunday

Got out yesterday for a couple hours, one 18" bow to the net, missed a couple more, also got a small whitefish. Started with a two fly nymph rig but with the wind blowing I switched to stripping streamers. No real hatch that I could see other than some midges in the rocks, water is low and pretty clear. Wind was gusting but still better than staying home and doing yard work.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:30 PM

I fished the old man this weekend as well. Fairly slow for the most part. I was fishing a double nymph rig as well, picked up some small white fish on it. There were also some small bows rising at around 10:00 am..eating midges i would guess. weather has been good though! And like hacman said water is low and clear! enjoy and good luck.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:56 AM

Thanks Gentleman! Good work! Counting down the hours till we leave Thursday afternoon!
Old 03-22-2016, 10:46 PM

Fished the bow last weekend, it's very difficult this time of year to find fish. Granted me and my friend that went have never fished the river before. But even current breaks and pools that would hold tons of fish back home had nothing. However it is a very beautiful river.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigsy View Post
Thanks Gentleman! Good work! Counting down the hours till we leave Thursday afternoon!
Hey Vigsy, curious how its fishing!?
Old 03-26-2016, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose slayer10 View Post
Hey Vigsy, curious how its fishing!?
Had a decent day friday on the oldman! Snowing buckets in the morning and we managed 4 or 5 decent bows each and i got a small bull. Afternoon got sunny and couldnt get em to bite anymore. Today on the crow was pretty tough for us couldnt find anything feeding. Not to sure what we are going to do tomorrow!
Old 03-26-2016, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason.seaward View Post
For Athabasca, would it be better to target inside or outside the jasper boundaries?
Fished inside today... No dice. I'll be going mtn climbing tomorrow instead.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:38 AM

Well just kinda waking up after getting home early this morning! Had a pretty good weekend weather kind if kicked us in the ass but oh well it usually does ha. Had to work hard to find active fish but we all managed some bows and rockies. Couldnt find the big bulls but managed a small one on the san juan. Buddy also got a decent crow brown on the san juan. And Bgsh saved a calf from a coyote! Was an awsome weekend and a huge huge thanks to a few members for their tips and efforts in helping us have a good time! Was good seeing you out there sunday hacman! Enjoy some pics!

Old 03-28-2016, 04:34 PM

Some good looking fish right there, wtg guys!