Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-30-2015, 12:44 AM
Banned

Default What's new in your 2015 fishing gear?

I won't be adding any new gear this year so I was curious what new stuff I'm missing out on?

What new fishing gear are you trying this year?
Rods, reels,line, accessories etc....
Pretty much anything fishing related.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:05 AM

I'm upgrading to Lowrance Gen 3 touch 12 + 9. Also adding the Lowrance Hydraulic Autopilot for my Verado/Pro Kicker combo and a Motor Guide Xi5 electric trolling motor with pinpoint GPS and a NMEA 2000 gateway. All run through the Lowrance G3 touch units. Keeping at least one of my current Gen 2 touch units, maybe both.

Wish list: Want to add a blue Sea "add a battery" switch with the automatic charging relay and a fourth battery, and Cisco mounts for all electronics.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:52 AM

i've been using the new smartfish lure by Kamooki lures. its brand new on the market and its made by a guy out of Sherwood Park, AB. I love testing out new gear/tackle and have done well with a few different smartfish patterns through the ice on Walleye and Pike so far. looking forward to some open water so I can try it out in different situations and conditions. sounds like others have had good success on it too. give one a try and good luck this open water season!

M
Old 03-30-2015, 08:01 AM

Lowrance elite 7 hdi can't wait for May...
Old 03-30-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba 96 View Post
Lowrance elite 7 hdi can't wait for May...
X2 picked mine up last week at the Bass sale
Old 03-30-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
X2 picked mine up last week at the Bass sale
So did I fri night.....
Old 03-30-2015, 10:41 AM

Loop opti runner
Old 03-30-2015, 11:06 AM

Some new loomis rods and shimano reels for walleye fishing and steelhead/salmon fishing. Plenty of new tackle. Thinking about upgrading to a new minkota ulterra and also to hummingbird onix 8 or the 10 for the real time mapping with autchart.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post
I'm upgrading to Lowrance Gen 3 touch 12 + 9. Also adding the Lowrance Hydraulic Autopilot for my Verado/Pro Kicker combo and a Motor Guide Xi5 electric trolling motor with pinpoint GPS and a NMEA 2000 gateway. All run through the Lowrance G3 touch units. Keeping at least one of my current Gen 2 touch units, maybe both.

Wish list: Want to add a blue Sea "add a battery" switch with the automatic charging relay and a fourth battery, and Cisco mounts for all electronics.
That makes at least 3 of us that I know of that will be running Xi5's and Gen 3s. I am excited to get it all put together.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Foss View Post
That makes at least 3 of us that I know of that will be running Xi5's and Gen 3s. I am excited to get it all put together.
let me know how that warranty work will work out for you. No warranty dealers in western canada
Old 03-30-2015, 02:35 PM

Sage Bass II 9wt and Bass line. Plus a bunch of flies I tied!
Old 03-30-2015, 02:46 PM

Bought Xi5 Mar.19 - Friday night. Plus Gateway.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
let me know how that warranty work will work out for you. No warranty dealers in western canada
no worries

Will still be able to run terrova/ipilot link/1198/1198/859

or

Xi5/gateway/HDS9/HDS10g2,HDS8g2/HDS5g2(still thinking about OniX 8 or HDS g3).

Plan on having fun with electronics this year.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:18 PM

Looking forward to playing with the new network im installing right now.

999 at console to a 859 at the bow and a 80lb terrova ipilot link all connected via a 5 port hub.

Plan to add autochart pro and get some serious mapping done.

i also picked up a couple gloomis setups when wholesale had them 50% off just in case i feel like actually fishing in between playing with my new electronics.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:49 PM

I added a new 2014 Crestliner 1750 Superhawk. Added a gen2 LDS 7 with go free wifi.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:58 PM

After being broke down all last season. There's a brand new 175 mercury in my jetboat. Can't wait till May 8.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
Actually I think that has changed.... a few points, first off I ran a motorguide wireless for 4 years and narry an issue. Absolutely loved it. Sipped the battery, ran it full of weeds, Ran it aground once or twice, no issues. basically I beat the **** out of it and still works like brand new. So that made me feel a bit better. But I have heard horror stories...

Second, I purchased the insurance plan at BPS which extends warranty to 3 years and it is a return to them. (they said over the counter exchange for a new one but reading the pamphlet, i think it is just that they will cover all shipping charges for repair). The insurance plan was like 240 or something so would be less than paying freight anyways. However, I have to go out there again this weekend and intend to get clairification for what exactly the procedure is (I dont like not knowing what my money actually paid for)

Third, motorguide service was my concern as well, so I did a little bit of research before committing to the purchase. I sent 2 emails to their customer service department and got email responses with in 4 business hours each time answering my question in full, even providing detailed contact information down to a specific name, job title and direct dial number of the person to talk to. So A+ for their response times and detailed responses so far....

One of my emails was asking about service to motor guide within canada. They said that mercury service centers in Canada are going to be handling motorguide service, and provided me with a name and number to call to get details about service within my province. Even provided me with a number to call if I need help in french. My plan is to call them and ask directly what the plan is / what the options are in the event I need service, I just haven't had a chance yet cause it has to be in business hours.

From the sounds of it, this issue is on their radar and are trying to do something about it. I feel pretty confident right now, but will let you know what I come up with when I get around to calling that number this week

FYI, also hanging onto the wireless so I wont be without IF anything were to happen
Old 03-30-2015, 06:38 PM

I am thinking an Onix 8.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Actually I think that has changed.... a few points, first off I ran a motorguide wireless for 4 years and narry an issue. Absolutely loved it. Sipped the battery, ran it full of weeds, Ran it aground once or twice, no issues. basically I beat the **** out of it and still works like brand new. So that made me feel a bit better. But I have heard horror stories...

Second, I purchased the insurance plan at BPS which extends warranty to 3 years and it is a return to them. (they said over the counter exchange for a new one but reading the pamphlet, i think it is just that they will cover all shipping charges for repair). The insurance plan was like 240 or something so would be less than paying freight anyways. However, I have to go out there again this weekend and intend to get clairification for what exactly the procedure is (I dont like not knowing what my money actually paid for)

Third, motorguide service was my concern as well, so I did a little bit of research before committing to the purchase. I sent 2 emails to their customer service department and got email responses with in 4 business hours each time answering my question in full, even providing detailed contact information down to a specific name, job title and direct dial number of the person to talk to. So A+ for their response times and detailed responses so far....

One of my emails was asking about service to motor guide within canada. They said that mercury service centers in Canada are going to be handling motorguide service, and provided me with a name and number to call to get details about service within my province. Even provided me with a number to call if I need help in french. My plan is to call them and ask directly what the plan is / what the options are in the event I need service, I just haven't had a chance yet cause it has to be in business hours.

From the sounds of it, this issue is on their radar and are trying to do something about it. I feel pretty confident right now, but will let you know what I come up with when I get around to calling that number this week

FYI, also hanging onto the wireless so I wont be without IF anything were to happen

Update: BPS confirmed that it is a replacement at the counter. The $300 limit is only in the states. So, yeah, not worried about it anymore. But we will see how it goes if time comes they need to honor that.

Last edited by Dan Foss; 03-30-2015 at 07:07 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:47 PM

Brand new waders and some nice korker boots to go with em ..a new 5 wt...two brand new pontoon boats fully loaded with electric motors and all ...yup im stoked to say the least
Old 03-30-2015, 09:40 PM

A few small tackle items aside, I've picked up some Guidewear Xtreme, a TFO rod as well as another spare Quantum Smoke rod. And the best fishing related addition is the truck camper I bought. I'm really looking forward to having the ability to go on my trips to northern Manitoba and lake hop without setting up camp or sleeping in the back seat of my truck.

Also contemplating upgrading my trolling motor. 55 pound thrust just doesn't cut it in my 1650 fish hawk.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:46 PM

Default New rod/ reel

I just bought a new Hardy Zenith fly rod 8' 4wt 4pc accompanied by a waterworks lamson litespeed lV filled with rio grand wf4f line. The western creeks are going to get a pounding this year.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:49 PM

I look forward to running my brand new yamaha 60hp tiller motor from river runner recreation this year as well as our new to us 5th wheel with bunks for the kids and my brand new 2015 chevy silverado 2500hd to tow the whole train with.

I am also hoping to have a pair of downriggers with some down rigger rod combos to test out on some lakers.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:25 PM

i started shopping in the fall for this season. Got a pair of electric Scotty riggers used for a steal and just got a 10'6 Shimano rigging rod and Okuma mooching reel.
Hope to get a full fisherman top for the boat, unless I lose the boat in my pending divorce
Old 03-30-2015, 10:58 PM

I just picked up my first fly rod!

Last edited by lyallpeder; 03-30-2015 at 11:04 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:11 AM

Quote:

Good to hear Dan.

I'll be running the HDS Gen 3 and Motorguide Xi5 combo on my new boat this year too. From what I've seen and heard, it's going to be awesome.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:19 PM

A lund 14 foot deep V, 15 hp Merc Force, Lowrance fishfinder...it's been a good spring
Old 03-31-2015, 05:13 PM

Every year I go into the Fishin Hole and ask for their best pike lure and that is what I start fishing with otherwise I would just use a 5 of D. I don't know what that lure is yet as I have not asked the question.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B. View Post
Every year I go into the Fishin Hole and ask for their best pike lure and that is what I start fishing with otherwise I would just use a 5 of D. I don't know what that lure is yet as I have not asked the question.
The kamooki smartfish is a pretty hot lure right now, and they're coming out with larger sizes in the near future (more specialized for pike and musky) according to a kamooki sales rep
Old 03-31-2015, 05:56 PM

ONIX 10

9.9hp Honda as a gas kicker

And .....

Looking at getting a Zodiac/Zebec/SeaMax or something like that and will a motor and some electronics for that. Would be nice to get into some of those smaller lakes my boat just won't get into .... I have been batting this one around far too long ..... need a bigger garage ....