Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-28-2007, 12:48 PM
bearbait

Default slave was great as always!!!

do a may long trip to faust every year hows the ice commin??
rob
Old 04-29-2007, 06:42 AM
new2alberta

Default hows slave???

On the east end (near town, Martin beach) it is still ice covered. Can't imagine its too thick. The rotary club puts a big wheel out on the lake every year and you guess what day it'll fall through the ice and you can win yourself some money. Well she's gone now, think it fell through about 2 weeks ago. At the outflow of the Slave river to about 250 yards from shore their is no ice. But then again that is flowing water. I'm sure with the weather we've been getting she'll be ice free in no time. hope this helps.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:58 PM
sourdough doug

Default Re: hows slave???

As I was coming into town this afternoon , I noticed that the ice on Mitsue Lake is now blue. I think it will be at least another week before it goes out and after that within ten to two weeks Slave will be clear. That' s a rule of thumb that I go by. Mitsue Lake is the key..
Old 04-30-2007, 11:38 AM
bearbait

cool thanks
Old 05-04-2007, 08:13 PM
huntercam

hows slave looking?
Old 05-04-2007, 11:20 PM
Red Sky Shane

It's breaking up at the east end. The other day there was water halfway to dog island from my Big Fish Bay campsite and from the Point restaurant, but it all depends on the wind too I guess. The level should come up considerably in the coming days. My pa-in-law and I were in Swine Hills today and every creek is running rapids due to the quick melt brought on by this damn rain.
It shouldn't be long until the lake is clear...
Old 05-05-2007, 12:54 AM
huntercam

hey Shane Thanks give me a call on my cell over the weekend when you got a minute

Cam
Old 05-05-2007, 10:13 AM
bearbait

sweet...hope shes good for may long!!!got a friend going to faust bay to check it out....keep the updates commin..
thanks
rob
Old 05-07-2007, 08:43 PM
bearbait

updates???
Old 05-07-2007, 11:17 PM
Red Sky Shane

Watching this ice melt is like watching water boil. If I listened close today I could hear the crackle of ice everywhere along the beach at our campsite, but it's still got a ways to go. When you drive into town from either direction you can see the ice is quite a bit more rotten and dark than it was last week. The rain helped a lot, and the rain also brought the level up quite a lot as it melted a ton of snow in the Swine Hills. All the creeks and rivers were running flat out from last Thurday until now.

I'm going out to work on our lake lots for sale in Joussard on Wednesday and Thursday, so I'll check in with the Fausties on the way by for you in case nobody else posts back before then.

Check out our lots at redskyalbertalimited.ca in case I can change your mind about Faust.

Shane.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:06 AM
bearbait

thanks man...im booked in with wally at reel in resort...i book a cabin every year..
rob
Old 05-09-2007, 06:23 PM
Slave

Default Slave

Went through Grouard today and from the bridge I couldn't see any ice. The water is waaaay higher then last year.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:15 AM
bearbait

Default Re: Slave

cool...anyone been to faust bay???hows it commin??
Old 05-10-2007, 09:44 PM
new2alberta

Default Ice is goin quickly

In the last 2 or 3 days going back and forth to work I've noticed a huge difference in the amount of ice (or lack of ) Heading north on hiway 88 @ the 16 km or so mark I get a good look at the lake and on monday only 20-30 yards was blue and open. today @ 4pm it was blue as far as you could see. Last time I went down to the Point for a look I'd have to say it was ice free or darn close to it all the way to dog island. hope this helps a bit.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:34 AM
sourdough doug

Default Re: Ice is goin quickly

was out this evenig and from the air, the ice was back to dog island. from west of dog is. ,the lake was full of ice all the ways to the narrows at spruce point. . west of s.p. park the lake was pretty much free of ice with some on the north shore. am going out again tomorrow and should get a better idea of how things are shifting..chow
Old 05-12-2007, 09:17 PM
bearbait

cool...leavin thursday night for faust...hope shes off in time!!!
Old 05-14-2007, 08:03 PM
bearbait

updates??leave in three days!!!whooo hoooo
Old 05-16-2007, 04:31 PM
bearbait

leave tommorow...ice off????
Old 05-16-2007, 04:56 PM
Divert

Just came back from Slave lake last night, It looks like the lake is about half open. I was in town and the ice looked pretty rotten but not a whole bunch of open water. I drove about 10mins west of the town to have a look and it looked like the whole south side of the lake was open, but the northside had some ice. I could see right out to the island and there was no ice visible between the south shore and the island. Hope this helps.
Divert
Old 05-17-2007, 08:56 AM
wthby

i will be up there this weekend as well on the east side. no boat but that won't slow me down. might try from shore or go down by the river and give it a try.

wthby
Old 05-17-2007, 10:05 AM
bearbait

east side closed till jun 15....west side open tommorow morning!!
Old 05-17-2007, 11:16 AM
wthby

maybe we are saying the same thing but... the west end of the lake is closed (spawning grounds) The rest of the lake is open May 18th or June 1st pending.

Lesser Slave Lake
the portion west of a line drawn from Shaw Point to the point of land in 26-74-14-W5 known as Little Grassy Point, including Buffalo Bay and the Grouard Channel & their tributaries (see also East Prairie River, South Heart River and Traverse Creek).
CLOSED – Mar. 1 to June 15 l OPEN – June 16 to Feb. 28 l June 16 to Oct. 31 - Walleye limit 1 over 43 cm; Pike limit 3 over 55 cm; Perch limit15; Lake Whitefish limit 10; Burbot limit 10.
Nov. 1 To Feb. 28 - Walleye limit 2 over 43 cm; Pike limit 3 over 55 cm; Perch limit 15; Lake Whitefish limit 10; Burbot limit 10.
the remainder of the lake and outlet (Lesser Slave River) downstream to the weir below Hwy 88
Apr. 1 to May 17 – CLOSED
May 18 to Oct. 31 – Walleye limit 1 over 43 cm; Pike limit 3 over 55 cm; Perch limit 15; Lake Whitefish limit 10; Burbot limit 10. l Nov. 1 to Mar. 31 – Walleye limit 2 over 43 cm; Pike limit 3 over 55 cm; Perch limit 15; Lake Whitefish limit 10; Burbot limit 10.

Lesser Slave River
the outlet portion downstream to the weir below Hwy 88
– see Lesser Slave Lake above.
the tributary and backwater upstream of the bridge that is east of the weir on the Old Smith Highway
June 1 to Mar. 31 – Arctic Grayling limit 2 over 35 cm (limit 0 Sept. 1 to Mar. 31); Walleye limit 3 over 50 cm; Pike limit 2 over 63 cm; Bait allowed.
Apr. 1 to May 31 – CLOSED
the portion of the river downstream of the weir below Hwy 88
June 1 to Mar. 31 – Arctic Grayling limit 2 over 35 cm (limit 0 Sept. 1 to Mar. 31); Walleye limit 3 over 50 cm; Pike limit 2 over 63 cm; Bait allowed.
Apr. 1 to May 31 – CLOSED
Old 05-17-2007, 02:41 PM
tuffyy

Having a cabin on Shaws I can tell you it is odd to be able to fish in front of our cabin (facing east),yet take a 2 minute walk to the back of the cabin (west) and its a closed section for a little while longer.Cant wait to get into the channel this year when it opens,we got our boat in safely last spring for the first time in years and it has always been a good spot for hooking big eye's and large perch.There are some monster pike that hang in the channel aswell.By the way Shaws is ice off as of being there yesterday.See you all this weekend for the big opener!!!
Old 05-23-2007, 01:26 PM
bearbait

Default Re: back from the trip!!!

yup we wre sayin the same i was confused with the excitement of the opener....i had a blast...
friday was crazy with the 6' waves but we went out anyway and had great luck..then it really picked up from there...we hit 200 plus fish by strawberry creek on sat and sun morning then fished to the left of the faust harbor in 7' of water and hammerd them till we left on monday..a great trip as always..going back for the turney next week....

howed you guys do???
rob
Old 05-23-2007, 02:15 PM
tuffyy

Just got back last night,fishing was good as usual.Hooked a few in the 20'' plus range.Wife hooked her largest pike yet at 16lb's.We also found and marked a mess of perch in about 10' of water that provided nonstop action.Going back this weekend again.overall we hooked a ton of fish.Nice to see the large school of perch,they can be tough to find on the lake at times.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:50 PM
bardfromedson

hey bearbait. is strawberry creek the one to the left of faust towards driftpile.? two winters ago we hit a methane gas pocket and broke through the ice just past the creek. tow truck driver droped 100 ft of cable and didn't hit bottom. he was trying to get my new ice auger back.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:27 PM
bearbait

nope thats the boggy slough....tryed there as well but only got a couple..