Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-14-2007, 08:44 PM
68 baracuda

Default Lake trout.

How do you like to catch lake trout in spring? lures,jigs ect. Looking for ideas as I will be trying this weekend Thanks
Old 05-14-2007, 08:52 PM
Tree Guy

Do you have sonar, downriggers etc? From what I understand (new to Lakers) they are in the 20-30' range in the spring and move deep deep in summer. We fished 'em deep last year with 'riggers.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:58 PM
68 baracuda

NO I don't have any sonar I have just jig for them and kept looking till I found them. I think they stay in schools.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:13 PM
bearbait

trolling works well..good way to find them as well
Old 05-14-2007, 09:23 PM
68 baracuda

Do you troll spoons? do you need a down rigger to fish that way?
Old 05-14-2007, 09:56 PM
bearbait

YUP SOONS AND RAPELLA CRANKS AND COUNTDOWNS....
Old 05-15-2007, 01:29 PM
splitbrow

Default What lake?

What lake are you planning? Rock etc..?

Some guys have more experience than others on these lakes and some fish alot slower than others in the spring.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:05 PM
68 baracuda

Default Re: What lake?

I am going to be fishing minnewanka any suggestion would be great as I have only fished it twice with some luck.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:40 PM
Tree Guy

Default Re: What lake?

In the spring they are fairly shallow and you will not need the 'riggers. I hear the outlet of Stewart Creek is good in the spring.

When you leave the launch, stay on the north side for only a short distance and there it is.

Let us know how it goes, and PM me if you get a chance.

Tree
Old 05-16-2007, 11:55 PM
Lake trout

Default Lake trout

I just got a small Lake trout today, jigging a buzz-bomb at Ghost, in about 10 feet of water. In the spring, lakers are in shallower where it is still cold.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:31 AM
Reeves01

Default Re: Lake trout

I've been catching Lakers all my life. Best time is the spring fishing by far ! Troll shore lines & you'll pick the up. Always had best luck with the jointed Rapala, 6-8".
Look up the preferred temps for them to keep track of where they'll be all season.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:47 AM
splitbrow

Default lakers

Once you have found them anchor off shore or structure and cast into it. Work from the shallows into the deeper water and you should cover the depths and pick them up. Once your jig, rap, spoon, etc... gets right underneath the boat bounce it off the bottom for a while and then quickly retrieve it back to the boat.

Seems to have worked in the past... I agree with Reeves that trolling works well to locate the fish in the spring but once you found them you're better off to anchor and work the area this way.

Split..
Old 05-17-2007, 09:54 PM
Tree Guy

Default Re: lakers

How do you guys set the hook? I know that sounds like a dumb question but....I am very new to Lakers, and in a couple of trips last summer, had a total of seven on but landed none because the lures pulled out. Same results with my fishing buddies.

If it's any help, we were using 'riggers in about 100' of water. It got to be pretty discouraging. Any tips?

Tree
Old 05-17-2007, 10:35 PM
68 baracuda

Well Iam ready to go to banff and try my luck.Tree guy as for your question I was told that lakers had hard mouths and you should set the hook hard.Also is stewert creek adout half way up tne lake on the north side?
Old 05-17-2007, 10:47 PM
Tree Guy

68, Stewart Creek is about five minutes from the launch! Stick to the north side and once you round the first point with the trees on it, head north into the bay. You'll know what I mean when you get there. There is a bridge over the creek. Good luck! Ya gotta let us know how you did though!

Tree
Old 05-17-2007, 10:53 PM
68 baracuda

I have a good idea where you mean. A couple years ago we fished the small creeks areas that flowed into the lake. When you fished out there did you Use spoons or jigs?
Old 05-17-2007, 10:57 PM
sheep hunter

Cuda...try the east side of the campground that's about three miles up the lake on the north side. There's a big flat there. Fish the edge where it begins to drop into deep water. It should be about 30-40 feet this time of year. White jigs are the ticket.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:22 PM
Tree Guy

Default Minnewanka

Thanks Sheep!

If your advice works out, I owe you a nice steak supper! Or, lake trout supper! Oh, what the hell, I'm a Maritimer, LOBSTER supper! Andrew is also included. I'll let ya know!

Tree
Old 05-19-2007, 06:06 PM
nafegavas

Default Re: Minnewanka

Once you've located a school, they like a Kamlooper spoon (the classic red and white with the chrome slash) jigged slow and then held still until you can't take it any more, then a little flick. I've watched them stare down a lure forever at Bow Lake, they'll form a circle around your lure and at the moment you move it all hell breaks loose. It sounds odd but years ago my son fished lazy, let his 'looper hit bottom reel it up 2 feet and let the waves jig for him. Caught the then 5 fish limit in short order. Spring time for lakers is great, later on they go deep and some will die from sudden decompression limiting your time on the water. Good luck, wish I could be there this weekend.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:26 AM
Reeves01

Quote:
Once you've located a school
The only "school" of Lakers I've ever found have been the smaller ones. After they get to breeding age they seem to be more loner types. Bigger the fish, the more so this happens.
Just thought I'd pass this along.

Disclaimer: depending on feed, they may "group" at river/creek entrances/structures at feeding times.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:38 AM
nafegavas

Group, school, herd, whatever.:lol
Old 05-21-2007, 04:26 PM
Tree Guy

Thanks for all of the advice guys. I just got in from helping to get set up for the first trip of the year! I don't think I have been this excited about anything since Christmas Eve when I was 5!

We are heading out tomorrow (Tuesday).

If anyone doesn't know, you can purchase your park's fishing day pass or season pass from Russell's. Bonus because the boat house only opens at 8AM. More time on the water!!

We've basically bought about 150 different lures and will try everything. If this goes as planned, it may force me to learn 'PhotoBucket'!

I'll update you guys on Wednesday evening. Thanks again!

Tree
Old 05-21-2007, 07:35 PM
nafegavas

Good fishing to ya!
Old 05-23-2007, 06:03 PM
68 baracuda

Tried all the suggestions but was skunked on minnawanka.There were about 20 boats out on the water I didn't see any fish and the guys Italked with had no luck Sorry for the late update. Tree guy I hope you had better luck let me Know.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:56 PM
Reeves01

Forgot one more tip....

if you have ever fished for Salmon, use the same stuff. ie: flasher & cut plug or the split floating Rapala (8"+). Works very well.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:10 PM
Tree Guy

68......We got skunked too (almost...we landed a 5lbder).

All I have read is that the lakers are active and shallow in the spring. Everything we picked up (sonar) was between 40' to 65'. Our deepest read 217'! What's up!!???? Have we been sh*ted!!!

Sorry, not sound like an ingrate, but we had compleatly geared ourselved for shallow fish, and that was not the case.

It really seemed like the schools (small, ie 4-12 fish) were moving. By that I mean that after we hit a small school on the sonar, they were almost impossible to find for a second pass!?

In the evening, where the creek (should) comes in on the south side of the lake, across from the campground, we hit a HUGE school at nightfall. We were on the 'riggers and hauled our stuff right through them for at least 10 minutes!!!! Nothing.

They were deep, deep. Why?

The one we did catch was snagged while jigging at 123'?

I'm very tired and discouraged right now. We spent about 18 hours on the water, and I got my freakin' EYEBALLS sunburnt! Grrrrr......I'm going to bed!

Tree
Old 05-23-2007, 11:20 PM
sheep hunter

My experience this time of year on Minnewanka is that the fish are usually 25-40 feet. The fish stay on the same structure for most of May, June and early July, the water depth just increases as the lake fills so they are in about 60 feet in July but in the same spots. I've never needed to fish more than about 65 feet of water there and have always used jigs. The fish love to hide amongst the stumps and can be tough to see on sonar. It is possible to catch 40 or 50 quite easily in a day.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:06 AM
Reeves01

That calm flat mirror like water is harder to fish. You have to let out a lot more line.
If you want to try some B.C. water W. of Jasper, let me know . (used to fish it lots back in the 80s)
Old 05-24-2007, 08:10 PM
68 baracuda

Idid not have sonar but I Fished the stumps on the south side at about half lake from 15ft 65ft with white jigs with no luck.I am hoping it is not a bad omen to take a new fishing boat out and get skunked! hopfully that changes this weekend.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:40 PM
Tree Guy

Sorry to sound ungrateful. I am not, but damnit my freaking eyeballs are still killing me! lol:eek

The best I can figure is that the late spring, late runoff, record snow pack, etc. are screwing things up.

Last I heard was that only 2 were docked over the long weekend. One 3, one 30.

The one we did boat didn't even bite the jig. My buddy jigged him at over 100' through the EYE! I know, I know. All I can say is that weird stuff happens to me (daily >: ). I don't believe half the stuff either, and I was THERE!:rolleyes

Anyway, I think its still early and the thermalclines are still holding position.

Tree