Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-08-2017, 06:14 PM

Default coyote snare (treatments)

For a few years I've been treating my snares with Qwik Dip which discolors the cable ...I've done white and brown on different occasions.
My success has been okay....but not perfect.

The problem is coyotes have a keen sense of smell and know the cable is there even if they can't see it. Why else would they approach the "set" and then turn-away. Fresh snow tracks say it all.

My snares are 1/16 aircraft cable that was "dipped last season and sat outside all summer. These are used on the power rams.

Assuming it's a smell issue, how would I wax these snares...
Could they they be dipped in hot water wax....what about the Qwik Dip....will I loose the coloring ?
Old 11-08-2017, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaAl View Post
For a few years I've been treating my snares with Qwik Dip which discolors the cable ...I've done white and brown on different occasions.
My success has been okay....but not perfect.

The problem is coyotes have a keen sense of smell and know the cable is there even if they can't see it. Why else would they approach the "set" and then turn-away. Fresh snow tracks say it all.

My snares are 1/16 aircraft cable that was "dipped last season and sat outside all summer. These are used on the power rams.

Assuming it's a smell issue, how would I wax these snares...
Could they they be dipped in hot water wax....what about the Qwik Dip....will I loose the coloring ?
Since they have been hanging outside all summer I doubt that it is a smell issue. I would suspect it is a blending issue with the background cover from the coyotes point of view. IMO brown and white generally clash with background colors whereas a dull grey brownish green blends much better..
Old 11-08-2017, 08:42 PM

Keep it simple. Why the dip why the wax. I’ve been using my snares right out of the box no other preparation. When checking snares I carry my snares by hanging them around my neck. Unless it is real cold I set them with my bare hands. Set 23 snares from one side of a draw to the other. Next morning I had 18 coyotes dead in the snares. That year I caught 820 coyotes. The results are the proof that keeping it simple works.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:14 PM

I personally wouldnt wax them as I think it could clog up the teeth on camlock . After boiling to remove oil and grease we give a light dust of tan and gray spray paint , being careful not to over do it . Then air out in the trees for a couple months and store them in one gallon tin cans filled with sage and leaves from brush where we intend on setting . As for the dip ? I talked with a Kris from Dakotaline about their product and he says it works good on 5/64 cable but tends to slow or clog locks on 1/16 ".. we've all had refusals and I think it is more from sight than smell, dont think cable holds the smell real well .
Old 11-08-2017, 10:39 PM

I see your using the 1/16 snare in your power rams. I’ve noticed an others have also noticed that there are more chew offs on the 1/16 compared to the 3/32 snares. Have discussed this with the snare shop and they also have heard this complaint. So after researching this problem with many trappers as well as manufacturers we have come to the agreement that the power ram is fraying the snare when set off. Because of this information I am using the the #4 3/32 replacement snare in my power rams. I have also added the 385lb brake away to release any deer that come along. This will be my third season using this set up and I have lost only 2 coyotes that I am sure of and have not killed a deer.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:48 AM

Arrow chew offs with the RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperMike View Post
I see your using the 1/16 snare in your power rams. I’ve noticed an others have also noticed that there are more chew offs on the 1/16 compared to the 3/32 snares. Have discussed this with the snare shop and they also have heard this complaint. So after researching this problem with many trappers as well as manufacturers we have come to the agreement that the power ram is fraying the snare when set off. Because of this information I am using the the #4 3/32 replacement snare in my power rams. I have also added the 385lb brake away to release any deer that come along. This will be my third season using this set up and I have lost only 2 coyotes that I am sure of and have not killed a deer.
I agree with everyone who said its not as much a scent issue as it's visual.
Setting snares in areas that have been over-grazed by cattle versus a ungrazed bush makes a difference. Less natural cover exposes everything.

Yes, I'm using 1/16 cable on my Rams (wolfmaster model)
I've used this combination the last 4 years with very good success and wouldn't increase the cable size. The thinner wire is easier to hide.
I've had a few chew-offs occur when the caught coyote wrapped the cable around a tree before the ram was triggered. The tree prevented tension being placed on the cable and allowed the coyote time to chew the cable.
This chew-out would have occurred with any size of cable.

Thanks for the opinions !
Old 12-23-2017, 10:48 AM

Default snare camo

I have placed the snares in the sink overnight with a box of bakeing powder mixed covered with water---takes the shine off,bag em with light cotton gloves----some coyotes,have a close encounter with a snare is not likely to snare again-same with snowshoe hares in the late season with a dusting of snow you can see they came right up to the snare then go aroung--also many years of beagle hunting ,i noticed the old dogs would not run in a snare,being caught a few times.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:01 AM

Seen a post where chalk was used on bottom part of snare to break up the circle look,when there is snow of course
Old 12-23-2017, 12:16 PM
Banned

I just boil them in baking soda to dull them. Someone on here told me about throwing in a handful of spruce bows when boiling them. It darkens them pretty good and there's no issue with scent afterwards. Good trick to know.
Old 12-23-2017, 04:46 PM

I use baking soda and a touch of logwood crystals. I put them in a big bucket and put out in the bush during the summer.... never found scent to be an issue.

I also hang cable in the summer at my wolf baits and just keep loops closed and a shot of wd40 on the logs so they don't rust.
Set up time is fast when the bait goes in and season starts.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I just boil them in baking soda to dull them. Someone on here told me about throwing in a handful of spruce bows when boiling them. It darkens them pretty good and there's no issue with scent afterwards. Good trick to know.
I just use baking soda. I’ve never tried any additional colouring
Only snare during winter usually get good blending