Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-02-2018, 11:08 AM

Default Any insight on Shawzys Fishing Charters out of Tahsis

I am looking to take a group of 8-12 guys fishing this year and was wondering if anyone has any experience with Shawzys out of Tahsis, West side of the Island?
Looking at June which I know isn't the best time for big Chinooks but it is the best time for us to go. Looking for Halibut and Salmon as priority.
Not looking for 5 star expensive places like on Haida Gwaii, just a good clean reputable place to take some customers and catch fish.
All inclusive is a must, meaning guides, boats, lodging meals etc.
I see Shawzys includes booze so that could be a bonus... LOL If I remember my last trip out west, our bar tab was $6000...
Any other places to check out would be appreciated.

Thank you.
SS
Old 03-02-2018, 02:48 PM

hope you get calmer waters then we did at the end of july first of august .
Old 03-05-2018, 01:25 PM

Thanks Fish99. Unfortunately the weather is out of anyone's hands and it is an inherit risk going out to the ocean. I was hoping for feedback on their equipment, lodging, staff attitudes, value and service etc.

Cheers,
SS
Old 03-06-2018, 09:50 AM

These guys are awesome, everything is top notch. We go out with them every year, last year we went twice. They have a new lodge this year which sounds like it is going to be awesome, cant comment on the new place however tho as this is the 1st season they will have it. You wont be disappointed, watching Thor bear the living heck outta a halibut with his giant wooden hammer is worth the trip alone. lol.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:31 AM

I don't know about them but we went through Westview marina last year and what a nightmare I would not recommend dealing with them at all. They charged us huge extra for a tuna trip which didn't happen and was not refunded, the boat couldn't even handle to take us out there even if it was possible, we had a party of 4 and one of us had to sit on our own beer cooler for the 1.5 hour rough ride out the outside fishing grounds. I can list many many things why to stay away from John's outfit but would be here all day. Anyway I don't know if their affiliated or not just seen the pics are at the marina but that may not have anything to do with them. My biggest advise is to make sure you have a good boat that everyone will be comfortable with, its a huge difference on how your trip will be. Best guide up there is Stan he guides through a local tribe but sometimes contracts out to westview or other outfits but that's who's boat I'd want to be on if I ever went back to the outside again around esperanza inlet.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:19 PM

Rocky Mountain is right about the marina. Shawzys is not affilitated their new digs have their own marina from what I understand. The boats are both Big Boston whalers, the big one I believe is a 34 footer and the smaller one I think is 28 (Size of boats subject to check) both with twin engines.