Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-28-2007, 02:21 PM

Default Bait Casts

Looking for some info on baitcasters. Pros n Cons. Comparisons to spincasters. Past experiences good n bad. I tried one out years ago and it ended in a birds nest like no other!!! LOL. That was b4 i had ne idea how or y to use one. Not saying i know y or how to use one now. Let's say i'm a novice therefore bigginer info would be useful. Ne advice or info would be appretiated. Thanks in advance.

What line properties would work best?
Old 05-28-2007, 02:28 PM
-NDN-

they offer more control, and more accuracy in my opinion. i like Trilene XL on mine in the 12 pound and up range. if the line is too thin, sometimes under pressure the line can dig down on itself on the spool. For heavier weighted lures, bigger fish, and more control, i like using nothing else. Quantum is my brand of choice. But to each thier own. Abu Garcia makes some i like to use as well for bigger stuff.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:48 PM
sheephunter

Okay, quick lesson here. A spincast reel is actually one like the Zebco 404 where you push a button on the rear of the reel to cast and the line is all enclosed. I suspect you are speaking of spinning reels. Those are the most common these days and the one that have an open spool and sit under the rod rather than on top.

Now for the question. Baitcaster do take some time to learn but as NDN pointed out they are more accurate when casting. They are well suited to casting heavier lures, say anything over 3/8 ounce and they typically have a better drag system and they will not tangle line if you reel against the drag when fighting a big fish like a spinning reel will. If you are doing a lot of casting for pike or bass then they are the cat's meow. For casting lighter weight lures, jigging, rigging and bobbers, I'd go with a spinning reel.

Newer baitcasters are very adjustable and help eliviate some of the bird's nests but they still take practice.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:36 PM

Default reels

I've always refered to the spincasts as closed face and the spinning reels as open face. Now i know the proper terms thanks. Are there any advantages to having a spincast (closed face) over the spinning reels (open face). I own a zebco 33 from like to 70's i think lol and a rhino closed face. Only thing i use the rhino for is it's bait alert system. So I only use it when i'm using a rig where i want the fish to be able to take off with the bait. Then it gives line and 'clicks' To let you know something is running off with your bait. I do prefer this option of the closed face as compaired to just leaving the bail open on a open face. I couldn't even tell you how many open face spinning reels i have around but they reign supreme for the typres of fishing i do.

Ya i figured it was all about cast control. How bout using your thunb on the spool? Do you stop the spool from spinning when the bait hits the surface? When i used one i think i got the birds nest cause the spool was spinning line out faster than was required and this lead to the birdsnest. Also i'm currently familiar with two style's. Big honking circular ones, and the lower profile sleek aerodynamic looking reels lol, whats the difference? Thanks again guys.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:47 PM
sheephunter

Spincasts are easy to use and learn. That's the biggest advantage but they are not used much any more. Basically they preceeded the spinning reel.

Getting the most out of a baitcaster primarily involves getting the spool tension and brake set properly but yes, after that some thumb control is required but if adjusted properly there are far less problems casting. The lower profile ones are more designed for casting while the larger round ones (levelwind reels) are primarily designed for trolling or casting heavy baits.

You are right that the closed face is a spincast and the open face is a spinning.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:20 PM

Gottcha. I figured the spincast were mainly for novice/begginers. I don't like fighting fish on one that is for sure.

I'm guessing a low profile would be more my style then as i don't troll much (yet). Boat has no trolling motor and gas is so expensive its criminal. If i could use more than one line in AB i would troll more often.

Thanks for the info sheep. If you don't mind me asking, whats your preference for line? I'm wondering about the properties high/low mem, dia, mono, fluro, braided, abrasivness, stretch, birdsnestability lol, etc. In your opinion what would be the best type of line to use to avoid birdsnests? If line type is relavent that is. Thanks again!
Old 05-28-2007, 06:29 PM
sheephunter

A fairly stiff, abrasion resistant mono in the 10-12 pound range is your best anti birdnest defence. Don't start with Fireline or something similar. It nests very easily and is impossible to pick apart.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:05 AM
-NDN-

and remeber, DO NOT let the spool keep spinning once the lure hits the water without applying thumb pressure, unless your settings on the reel are correct, Holy crap let me tell you!!!!!! in my early days learning how to use one, i couldnt snapped my rod in half sometimes. But not no more. But...you do get what you pay for.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:03 AM

Thanks for the info guys its been helpful. I think i learned to get my thumb on that spool the hard way a few years back. Good times LOL.

So wally world has a shimano baitcast combo for 100 bucks. It's got two brake systems i believe. One of which i believe uses a magnet? Called the easy mag. or something like that and i think the other system is just friction. Opinions on this unit? I think its called crestfire or somthing like that. Comes with a good looking rod too, i'm just unsure if the reel is any good and if it would be worth buying to learn on. Ne one familiar with this unit?
Old 05-29-2007, 03:32 PM
-NDN-

my favorite right now, i was down checking them out, and i'll be buying 2 of them this summer. if there was a emoticon with drool hanging off my tongue, id use it

-------------------> Quantum Tour Edition PT <--------------------

I own 2 of these Energy reels, and they are a good reel, id recommend them to anyone

----------------------> Quantum Energy PT <---------------------

Click the links