Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-01-2017, 05:49 PM

Default Worms in ducks?

So today I went on my first duck hunt. Came home with 2 ducks and when I cut them open the both smelled like satans ******* and had worms.

Is this normal? I ended up just taking the breasts, wings, and legs off and threw the rest to the dogs..... Is it safe to eat?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-01-2017, 06:30 PM

I would not give it to the dog.
Just in case.
Probably and more likely would not eat it myself either.
Old 09-01-2017, 06:32 PM

Sometimes there is avian cholera outbreaks. Where these birds airborne when killed or shot on the water?

If it flies it probably is not infected.

Would help to see the worms. Shot an awful lot of ducks over the years, never saw a worm. Where did you see the worms on the body cavity?

Drewski
Old 09-01-2017, 07:05 PM

Were the worms in the body on in the breast meat? I once had a mallard and skinning it found it had worms in the breast. At first I thought they were pin feathers thru the skin and into the meat but after really looking at them seen they were moving.

Found out it had Sarcocystis and apparently safe to consume.......I didn't and now am leary to pluck birds because you can't see them with the skin on.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=sarco...rome&ie=UTF-8#
Old 09-01-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Sometimes there is avian cholera outbreaks. Where these birds airborne when killed or shot on the water?

If it flies it probably is not infected.

Would help to see the worms. Shot an awful lot of ducks over the years, never saw a worm. Where did you see the worms on the body cavity?

Drewski
One was on the water the second was about a foot up and had just taken off.

They looked like 1 cm long tapeworms. Pretty nasty. The worms were in the body cavity, not in the meat. Could have crawled out of stomach or the intestines as both had shot through the belly.

The meat tasted pretty dirty. Not disgusting but not very good either.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benelli1 View Post
Were the worms in the body on in the breast meat? I once had a mallard and skinning it found it had worms in the breast. At first I thought they were pin feathers thru the skin and into the meat but after really looking at them seen they were moving.

Found out it had Sarcocystis and apparently safe to consume.......I didn't and now am leary to pluck birds because you can't see them with the skin on.

Didnt look like that

Old 09-01-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfeman View Post
One was on the water the second was about a foot up and had just taken off.

They looked like 1 cm long tapeworms. Pretty nasty. The worms were in the body cavity, not in the meat. Could have crawled out of stomach or the intestines as both had shot through the belly.

The meat tasted pretty dirty. Not disgusting but not very good either.

Yuk I would have turfed that pretty quick. I wouldn't have ate it.
Old 09-01-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:

That looks nasty. No matter how safe it is to eat, I doubt many would. In fact I would not eat any bird if I saw any kind of worms in it. Especially when it smells weird. Over the time, I had one duck that smelled funny and it felt like it was dead for few days when I was peeling the skin. The skin would also rip easily. If I did not shoot it on the water myself and pick it up right away after I shot it, I would think that I packed someone else's bird a few days after it'd been shot. I also had a whitefronted goose with the exact same "symptoms" but that one was shot in the field and I figured it was someone else's kill from a couple of nights ago. I tossed both birds.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
That looks nasty. No matter how safe it is to eat, I doubt many would. In fact I would not eat any bird if I saw any kind of worms in it. Especially when it smells weird. Over the time, I had one duck that smelled funny and it felt like it was dead for few days when I was peeling the skin. The skin would also rip easily. If I did not shoot it on the water myself and pick it up right away after I shot it, I would think that I packed someone else's bird a few days after it'd been shot. I also had a whitefronted goose with the exact same "symptoms" but that one was shot in the field and I figured it was someone else's kill from a couple of nights ago. I tossed both birds.
I will not shoot a bird that is not flying. If it can't or won't fly odds are it is either too young or it is sick. I also would't pick up a bird not knowing when or how it met its demise.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:15 PM

Default There are millions of ducks!

Don't take anything like that home, or eat any of them and don't feed it to the dogs.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:30 PM

Thanks for all the advise everyone. I have burned all the remains. As this was my first time hunting ducks I assumed it was a normal smell and that the might normally have worms. Especially as both ducks smelled the same and had worms. I only ate a few bites and didnt like the taste. I will make sure not to bring anything like that home again

Old 09-01-2017, 10:04 PM

Seen the breasts of Pins loaded with white worm like critters. Really gross. Turfed EM, yuk, and no do not feed them to your dogs...... Specially raw.

Nasty.
Old 09-02-2017, 01:26 AM

Quote:
I will not shoot a bird that is not flying. If it can't or won't fly odds are it is either too young or it is sick. I also would't pick up a bird not knowing when or how it met its demise.
I would not shoot it either at least 9 out of 10 times, but I did see that particular duck flying and landing. It looked great, just like all the other ducks around. The goose was picked up about 15 minutes after the sunset and probably took about 5 minutes to find. So, like I said, the goose was probably just an old kill. The duck, however, I have no idea what was wrong with it.
Old 09-02-2017, 03:47 AM
Banned

Worms in them are not uncommon but for gods sake I would not eat it or feed it to your dogs?!
Old 09-02-2017, 06:25 AM

A few years ago I shot a duck with sacrocystitis.

That was early season and back then I use to gut my ducks in the field. My dog got the liver of that one.

Brought him to the vet, vet researched it and said it shouldn't be a problem. But for my own piece of mind I gave him a deworming treatment.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfeman View Post
Thanks for all the advise everyone. I have burned all the remains. As this was my first time hunting ducks I assumed it was a normal smell and that the might normally have worms. Especially as both ducks smelled the same and had worms. I only ate a few bites and didnt like the taste. I will make sure not to bring anything like that home again

Wolfeman indicates this was his first time hunting ducks. I would not be surprised if the ducks were perfectly normal and what he is describing is typical, i.e. duck guts STINK!!! and if all you have ever eaten previously came from the supermarket you might not like the taste of wild duck, especially early season slough ducks??? A first timer pulling duck guts might easily imagine all kinds of creepy crawlers??? Just saying.
Old 09-03-2017, 01:21 AM

^^
they especially stink after time.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:31 AM

Nothing wrong with it. Just give it to the in-laws. LOL.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:32 AM

For you real serious folks, that's a joke.

If I see worms, it's gone. That goes for all meat.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:03 PM

I have cleaned thousands of ducks in my life. Never once saw worms in the guts. Saw rice breast lots but never worms in the guts. Sure wish the OP had taken a picture.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 09-03-2017, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Nothing wrong with it. Just give it to the in-laws. LOL.
Hahaha great plan.