Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-02-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
So I can shoot a limit a day...and gift it to my wife and kids till we all have a full limit?

Seems like a huge loophole that needs to be fixed IMHO.

LC
I think it's fine. As long as the meat is not wasted (which is illegal) then I don't see a problem.
Old 09-02-2017, 09:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
So I can shoot a limit a day...and gift it to my wife and kids till we all have a full limit?

Seems like a huge loophole that needs to be fixed IMHO.

LC

The number of waterfowl permits sold in Canada and the number of Canadians hunting waterfowl in Canada has dropped off so significantly that the harvest rates are but a drop in the bucket compared to the lower 48. We are heavily regulated because its a joint venture with Canada and Mexico. The seasons and limits set here could never impact the birds negatively with todays hunter numbers. Their is lots going on behind the scenes right now in Canada trying to get seasons extended or manipulated to take advantage of peak migration periods past the allowable maximum of 107 days in the Migratory Birds Convention Act due to such an abundance of some species of migratory birds and low harvest rates here in Canada.

Last edited by The Spank; 09-02-2017 at 09:58 PM.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:58 AM

Very interesting discussion. Pretty sure Spank is right on the money in terms of possession and gifting.

My questions are what if the person (who is not a licensed hunter) I give my birds to has another individual or two who also give their birds to him/her? If that person ends up having over the limit number of birds in the freezer, whose responsibility is that?

Also, how many of you or how many people do you know that were visited by an official and had a bird count in their freezer?
Old 09-03-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spank View Post
The number of waterfowl permits sold in Canada and the number of Canadians hunting waterfowl in Canada has dropped off so significantly that the harvest rates are but a drop in the bucket compared to the lower 48. We are heavily regulated because its a joint venture with Canada and Mexico. The seasons and limits set here could never impact the birds negatively with todays hunter numbers. Their is lots going on behind the scenes right now in Canada trying to get seasons extended or manipulated to take advantage of peak migration periods past the allowable maximum of 107 days in the Migratory Birds Convention Act due to such an abundance of some species of migratory birds and low harvest rates here in Canada.
Spank is correct...

The feds have the biggest say in determining waterfowl regulations,,, one thing they have been working on is clarification of the possession limits,, specifically when is a bird reduced from possession. The proposals seemed to be based on common sense and were hunter friendly for the most part. In a nutshell, under the new proposals, a bird would no longer count towards possession once it had been processed into a form ready to be cooked and no longer in transport (at the residence where it will be consumed).

This was begun before the change of federal govt,,,, there were several other proposals as well as Spanks has mentioned. Hopefully the liberals follow through with the proposed changes, but there does seem to have been a delay in getting them into law. Last I heard was implementation in 2018.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:10 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
And just in case anyone is getting ideas of being greedy with their elk meat ?

DO NOT HARVEST ANYELK THIS YEAR ,,,

UNTIL YOU HAVE EATEN ALL YOUR ELK MEAT FROM LAST YEAR !
Something is wrong if your freezer has last years elk meat in it....our meat is usually all gone mid summer..BBQ works overtime come April.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-03-2017, 08:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
Very interesting discussion. Pretty sure Spank is right on the money in terms of possession and gifting.

My questions are what if the person (who is not a licensed hunter) I give my birds to has another individual or two who also give their birds to him/her? If that person ends up having over the limit number of birds in the freezer, whose responsibility is that?

Also, how many of you or how many people do you know that were visited by an official and had a bird count in their freezer?
NONE!! Plus most fish & wildlife agencies are so underfunded most years the CO's are directed not to waste time, fuel or resources on small game enforcement but are directed to concentrate their efforts on big game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
Spank is correct...

The feds have the biggest say in determining waterfowl regulations,,, one thing they have been working on is clarification of the possession limits,, specifically when is a bird reduced from possession. The proposals seemed to be based on common sense and were hunter friendly for the most part. In a nutshell, under the new proposals, a bird would no longer count towards possession once it had been processed into a form ready to be cooked and no longer in transport (at the residence where it will be consumed).

This was begun before the change of federal govt,,,, there were several other proposals as well as Spanks has mentioned. Hopefully the liberals follow through with the proposed changes, but there does seem to have been a delay in getting them into law. Last I heard was implementation in 2018.
Thank you for that. I am definitely not trying to blow smoke or sound off on opinion or encourage breaking any laws or finding loopholes, that's a lawyer's job. I am merely stating the law in regards to bag and possession limits as it is applied today to answer the OP's and a few others questions.

Last edited by The Spank; 09-03-2017 at 08:22 AM.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:15 AM

I'm heading to Manitoba for a week to hunt waterfowl, on my return trip to Calgary I also am going to hunt waterfowl in Saskatchewan for a week. Under what is stated in this post am I legally allowed to bring a possession limit from each province back to Alberta? Same question for fishing, having purchased licences from both provinces am I allowed to possess possession limits from both provinces if I can prove I have been to those provinces (fuel receipts, store purchases, restaurants etc.)?
Old 09-03-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benelli1 View Post
I'm heading to Manitoba for a week to hunt waterfowl, on my return trip to Calgary I also am going to hunt waterfowl in Saskatchewan for a week. Under what is stated in this post am I legally allowed to bring a possession limit from each province back to Alberta? Same question for fishing, having purchased licences from both provinces am I allowed to possess possession limits from both provinces if I can prove I have been to those provinces (fuel receipts, store purchases, restaurants etc.)?
No...you can't carry a possession with you from each Province.

LC
Old 09-03-2017, 12:32 PM
Banned

Angry

Quote:
No...you can't carry a possession with you from each Province.

LC
This ^^^waterfowl are federally regulated, not provincially. You can have whichever of the provinces has the larger possession and you must package, transport and label each with your name & license number plus leave one wing attached easily visible for identification purposes.

As for fish they are provincial so you can have your limit from each province provided you are licensed to fish in each and actually fished and caught the legal number allowed in each.

Last edited by The Spank; 09-03-2017 at 12:45 PM.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
This ^^^
I hate when people do this to me.

Can you provide the regulation that prohibits this?

I can do it with big game....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 09-03-2017, 12:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
I hate when people do this to me.

Can you provide the regulation that prohibits this?

I can do it with big game....
You should be able to find it in the federal migratory birds convention act.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/M-7.01/

As I said twice previously now, you may possess the greater of the two provinces possession limits in total provided you met the licensing requirements of both and actually hunted and did not exceed any limits in either province bringing you up to your total possession.
I have hunted two bordering provinces all my life so made sure the i's were dotted and t's were crossed. First Ont/QC and now SK/AB. Have done many single day hunts on both sides. Years back in the area of Ontario I lived Canada geese daily bag was reduced to two birds but across the lake on the QC side was still 5. We often hunted and shot a limit in ON then jumped the border and shot 3 more to bring us to the allowable combined 5 for hunting both provinces.

Last edited by The Spank; 09-03-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
This ^^^waterfowl are federally regulated, not provincially. You can have whichever of the provinces has the larger possession and you must package, transport and label each with your name & license number plus leave one wing attached easily visible for identification purposes.

As for fish they are provincial so you can have your limit from each province provided you are licensed to fish in each and actually fished and caught the legal number allowed in each.
I'm sure that saltwater fish in BC are federally regulated, as well as some saltwater tribularies, but you do make a good argument.
Can you not "gift" fish like you do waterfowl as far as possession limits go?
Old 09-03-2017, 08:53 PM

You hunt big game and non migratory birds with provincial licenses, so each license allows a bag limit/possession limit, but regardless of where you hunt migratory birds in Canada, you are hunting them under one federal license, so you only have one bag limit/possession limit for that one license.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:31 PM

Great discussion, but largely immaterial. The possession limitis are basically in effect for guys who are in the field and claim that the 10 pheasants in their possession were shot over five days. They also provide a handy add-on charge to those who are suspected/charged with other, more serious offenses.

If I save the duck tongues I shoot throughout the year and end up with 150 duck tongues am I in possession of 150 ducks?

Marshall McLuhan
Old 09-03-2017, 09:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
Great discussion, but largely immaterial. The possession limitis are basically in effect for guys who are in the field and claim that the 10 pheasants in their possession were shot over five days. They also provide a handy add-on charge to those who are suspected/charged with other, more serious offenses.

If I save the duck tongues I shoot throughout the year and end up with 150 duck tongues am I in possession of 150 ducks?
One of my buddies acquires a permit each season that allows him to act as the holder to possess 250 mallard ducks for training birds for their retriever club. I'll see if he can gift you the tongues?!
Old 09-03-2017, 09:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
I'm sure that saltwater fish in BC are federally regulated, as well as some saltwater tribularies, but you do make a good argument.
Can you not "gift" fish like you do waterfowl as far as possession limits go?
Yes you can "gift" fish as well.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:16 PM

Quote:
NONE!! Plus most fish & wildlife agencies are so underfunded most years the CO's are directed not to waste time, fuel or resources on small game enforcement but are directed to concentrate their efforts on big game.
My point exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
My point expended.

Quote:
One of my buddies acquires a permit each season that allows him to act as the holder to possess 250 mallard ducks for training birds for their retriever club. I'll see if he can gift you the tongues?!
Hey, I collect duck/goose legs untill i have enough to make some stock. I wouldn't mind being hooked up
Old 09-04-2017, 10:03 AM

Thanks Spank for the clarification.