Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-21-2017, 10:52 PM

Default coyotes----

The deer season ends,then coyote persuit,i have permission on a hugh area,A decoy is placed on a smalllake about 30 meters from the bull rushes,were i am hidden in full camo,the 22-250 is rested on the shooting sticks ,i wait until the sun is gone, and it begans to darken,a female invite call not to loud brings several responses near and far,i have placed two pheasant skins near the decoy, i wait a long five minutes,then a baby jack rabbit call-then i see two break on the ice heading full run at the decoy,one runs by to circle for scent,the second dead stops,the crosshairs to the shoulder,the 50 gr accu tip bullet drops him dead in his tracks,the 1st in high gear dodges two shots the four and last from the sako rolls him--soon the rifle is put away,out comes the snares,then the bait and traps .Its a way of life since forever.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:52 AM

Yes it can become a life long obsession alright, shot my first coyote with a .22 rifle, that was 55 years ago. Have been trapping now for 15 years and God willing I can keep it up for a while yet. I can think of a lot worse things to get addicted to. So if you get a chance take a kid trapping.