Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-26-2017, 08:15 PM

Default New in AB...

Hopefully, will be moving soon to AB from ON and excited about all the wildlife that great province of Alberta has to offer.
What are the some of the areas accessible to new hunter in the area for the mule deer and elk. I am crazy about the sheep as well but don't want to be over exhaustive with questions. Will be happy just to get out and spend a day in the bush. About north of Calgary, maybe up to the Edmonton area and west toward rockies...
Any advices are greatly appreciated. ..
Old 07-26-2017, 08:48 PM

First advice is check regs, follow rules on residency (or get hunter host to take you), read the sarcastic thread about wmu 999. Just don't sound like anyone on there when you're on here and you'll probably get better responses. That thread pretty much shows all the what not to do on here and it's quite funny.
I'll reiterate, it's always best to understand the regs for yourself than to go out based on what someone else said is true
Welcome
Old 07-28-2017, 09:01 AM

Default Lots of great hunting opportunity here

Welcome to Alberta. There's some really good quality habitat that can be accessed by everyone.
Remember there are grizzlies out here, so educate yourself and be aware.

For a new resident, I'd suggest you download a hunting mapping app, then you'll have the WMU's in your pocket at all times, and have the regs, and know where you are.

We've got good black bear numbers in the mountian wmu's too. Spot and stalk.

You'll never go back to Ontario, trust me.

Cheers
John
www.highlanderhunting.podbean.com
Old 07-28-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
First advice is check regs, follow rules on residency (or get hunter host to take you), read the sarcastic thread about wmu 999. Just don't sound like anyone on there when you're on here and you'll probably get better responses. That thread pretty much shows all the what not to do on here and it's quite funny.
I'll reiterate, it's always best to understand the regs for yourself than to go out based on what someone else said is true
Welcome
Exactly! Read the regs and the draw information a few times, and learn it, rather than taking someone else's advice. You will never think of enough questions to ask to learn everything without reading the regs. The regs are not as difficult to understand as some people would have you believe, and some people will give your their interpretation of the regs, even though they don't understand the regs them self.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:18 AM

Welcome to Alberta. And as for asking for advice on this forum, you will always be more warmly received if it appears you have done some work on your own first. Read the regulations from cover to cover. If you do that and then come with a question like "I don't quite understand this part..." plenty of people will happily help you. If it sounds like you haven't even bothered to read them you will invariably catch some flack. Same with places to hunt. Get some county maps, head out and do some driving and door knocking to find places to hunt just like most of us did. Then ask some questions.

So where will you be living? Knowing your location is always helpful when you are asking about areas to hunt, fish, etc.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:30 AM

When the Military posted me from Borden Ontario to Calgary in 1990 I was initially concerned about the hunting opportunities here in AB (that was long before the internet offered Forums like this), as Southern Ontario offered excellent WT deer numbers and turkeys.

Then I read the AB hunten regs and checked out some maps...

I was amazed at the amount and variety of game AB offers. During my first season I was fortunate enough to take a WT, MD and even and Elk.
Hunting has changed since the Draws were introduced some years back, but once you understand them it's easy to incorporate them into your hunting forcast. However, with the numbers and varieties of animals not covered by the Draws you will never be without hunten opportunities.

Enjoy
Old 07-29-2017, 08:01 AM

First of all, Thank you everyone for the welcoming me into the province.
Before I even thought of moving to AB i dowloaded hunting regs. And buddy of mine that works in the AB brought me the fishing regs. As well.
I understand how regs.work and draw system which kind of scared me at first.
I started to look for an areas without draws and there are few for MD,elk and even some for the sheep. However, even though i know nothing can't be compared between the two provinces, probably some things are the same.
What I am refering to is the Hunt.regs. Usually availability of hunting opportunities such as open season and no draws brings either army of hunters and or no abundance of wildlife, no road acces (talking about grizzlies, until I get to know how the things work), close to big towns or even cities like Calgary, Red Deer and Edmonton. What I was thinking about is some open areas with relative road access and some wildlife present until figure it out how everything works and get to know the grizzlies thing before I start wondering on my own.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:13 AM

Generally, the farther you get from the big cities, the easier it is to get permission on private land, which makes up a huge portion of the habitat that in central and Southern Alberta. And you should learn how the trespass laws work in Alberta, as they are quite different than in some other provinces
Old 07-29-2017, 08:17 AM

Default 999 info.

OK, i read the 999 chat and I get it what are you guys are saying but I did not really ask for a place where I can park my truck, take the chair out, put it beside the road and wait 'till the deer and would prefer elk jump over bed of my pick up truck. I would like to shoot them once they are jumping over because there is no one to help me with loading them in so they can fall right in the back of the truck, hopefully wrapped up so they dont bleed all over my car.
I was extremly off the topic even for the "999" one but I am aware of these stories from Ontario forums. Not that type of guy asking these type of questions...
Old 07-29-2017, 08:19 AM

Thank you elkhunter, that is some information that i was looking for but that hunting regs do not offer
Old 07-29-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daka View Post
Thank you elkhunter, that is some information that i was looking for but that hunting regs do not offer
And if some idiot tries to tell you that nobody can hunt on private land posted "no hunting", they don't have a clue what they are talking about.
Old 07-29-2017, 03:47 PM
Banned

Welcome to Alberta Daka. Where are you planning to take up residence in sunny Alberta?
Old 07-29-2017, 03:49 PM

for the most part, If a zone is a general (non draw) tag for mule deer then chances are, your going to have a hard time finding any. Don't get caught up on the crown land vs private. find an area you want to hunt and go from there. permission is quite easy to obtain. Once your here go for a drive and see what is around. whatever your hunting style is will draw you to a certain area.
Old 07-30-2017, 12:27 AM

Most likely North of Calgary, Red Deer area
but I am not limited to close by spots.
Here in Ontario we drive three or so hours to hunt jack rabbits for some places that has good no.s of them
I live in GTA area and until you can start hunting you need at least an hour and a half in any direction for gun, WT with the rifle is 5 to 10 days and once you go into the area where rifle is allowed, every corner has orange coat sitting on top the three stand.
Even if have to travel 3 or 4 hrs. For MD or Elk is perfectly fine and more than happy to go if could find nice spots...
Old 07-30-2017, 12:09 PM

Unless you bow hunt, if you're looking for general mule deer and elk with the rifle, the zones that typically have these tags are a couple hours northwest of red deer. Lots of country to explore and the further you get off the path, the smaller the crowds.

If you do bowhunt that opens up a lot of other zones in many directions from red deer with general mike deer and elk.

Good luck and enjoy the opportunities Alberta has to offer.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:31 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daka View Post
Most likely North of Calgary, Red Deer area
but I am not limited to close by spots.
Here in Ontario we drive three or so hours to hunt jack rabbits for some places that has good no.s of them
I live in GTA area and until you can start hunting you need at least an hour and a half in any direction for gun, WT with the rifle is 5 to 10 days and once you go into the area where rifle is allowed, every corner has orange coat sitting on top the three stand.
Even if have to travel 3 or 4 hrs. For MD or Elk is perfectly fine and more than happy to go if could find nice spots...
Get maps, seek out crown land, lots of it around Alberta, recce out an area you are interested in and then you don't have to worry about anything other then the seasons that are open.

Year two once you get more situated maybe spread out your resources by seeking permission on private land.

Good luck.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...