Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 01-13-2018, 03:48 PM

Default Names for a baetis pattern i created

Hey guys looking for some input naming a fly i created. its a baetis so i tie it from 16 to about 22
tail: pheasant tail fibers
rib: utc small gold wire
gills: uv ice dub
wincase and legs: brown antron yarn
thorax: wapsi lifecycle caddis green. but use whatever best imitates the naturals
abdomen: olive or brown utc 70
we have already seen success with this pattern last year and this year. my dad caught a beautiful bow river rainbow on it in size 20 the first Saturday in january.
any input on a name for it would be sweet. thanks guys

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2018, 08:17 PM
Banned

Just use your first name. e.g. Mary's baetis
Doesn't matter if it has a name. If it catches fish its a fly worthy of using. You know what it is and that's all that matters.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:26 PM

Nice pattern!!..... Army Baetis
Old 01-13-2018, 11:15 PM

Thanks for the input guys

Old 01-14-2018, 07:12 AM

Thumbs up

Good on ur old man for getting a fish on the surface already....x2 for ARMY lol
Old 01-14-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortsideK View Post
Just use your first name. e.g. Mary's baetis
Doesn't matter if it has a name. If it catches fish its a fly worthy of using. You know what it is and that's all that matters.
Hold on there Quickstraw, naming flies is part of the tradition of fly tying that goes back hundreds of years!

I like Army baetis for this one.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:58 AM

How about the "Olivia Wilde"? Along the same lines as the "Sharon Stone".
Old 01-14-2018, 10:19 AM

+1 Army baetis

Last edited by StiksnStrings; 01-14-2018 at 10:19 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-14-2018, 03:36 PM

How about bumble baetis
Old 01-14-2018, 04:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Hold on there Quickstraw, naming flies is part of the tradition of fly tying that goes back hundreds of years!

I like Army baetis for this one.
Don't know the rational for "Army" baetis, but I'm not overly fond of this name.
We all tie "variations" of known patterns and never consider giving them a new name. At least I certainly don't waste my time with that.
There are already lots of patterns that have names that I think are dumb, but if I like the pattern, I tie it and use it, regardless of the name.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:34 PM
Banned

ring neck olive
Old 01-14-2018, 06:34 PM

thanks for the input guys. i think the army baetis comes from the colours? im not really sure

Old 01-14-2018, 06:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyfisherman View Post
thanks for the input guys. i think the army baetis comes from the colours? im not really sure

Just want to say, I'm not knocking your pattern. Its well tied and obviously catches fish. Does it need a name? If you think it does... It does. Have fun with your tying.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortsideK View Post
Don't know the rational for "Army" baetis, but I'm not overly fond of this name.
We all tie "variations" of known patterns and never consider giving them a new name. At least I certainly don't waste my time with that.
There are already lots of patterns that have names that I think are dumb, but if I like the pattern, I tie it and use it, regardless of the name.
So how did you come across the "Chernobyl Hopper" pattern? By looking up "weird foam body thingy with rubber legs"?
Old 01-14-2018, 07:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
So how did you come across the "Chernobyl Hopper" pattern? By looking up "weird foam body thingy with rubber legs"?
Another pattern with a "dumb" name. Could I enjoy fishing and never knowing it existed... absolutely! I find a lot of "variations" have these "cutesy" names. Spare me.
Maybe that's what bugs me. I'm not against naming "new" patterns. I'm against giving them BS names.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boah View Post
ring neck olive
thats clever

Old 01-15-2018, 08:30 AM

Master baetis??
Old 01-15-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta View Post
Good on ur old man for getting a fish on the surface already....x2 for ARMY lol
Don't think he caught it on the surface? It's a weighted nymph pattern, fished sub-surface.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:10 AM

There are a few different ways that flies come to be named: by the originator,
Skip Nymph-originated by Skip Morris, Clouser Minnow-originated by Bob Clouser, Klinkhamer special-originated by Hans van Klinken. (see the pattern here)
by the materials used: Pheasant tail nymph, elk hair caddis, etc.
by the action or food item the fly is meant to portray: Stimulator (action), Muddler minnow (food item)
just because: Tom Thumb, Chernobyl ant, Yummy mummy, Sex dungeon, etc.

In the end, naming a fly is up to the creator of the fly if they wish. Otherwise it will come down to the users of the fly if it becomes popular to pick a name that easily identifies the fly to others. Personally I like flies to have names because it allows me to get information during a day fishing. When I ask my buddy what fly he caught that last fish on, "An orange stimulator." or "a size 14 chromie" carries a lot more information to me than, "A big orangey-yellow thing with a hair wing and some hackle" or "A little shiny buggy thing I tied up last night".
Old 01-15-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by professori View Post
There are a few different ways that flies come to be named: by the originator,
Skip Nymph-originated by Skip Morris, Clouser Minnow-originated by Bob Clouser, Klinkhamer special-originated by Hans van Klinken. (see the pattern here)
by the materials used: Pheasant tail nymph, elk hair caddis, etc.
by the action or food item the fly is meant to portray: Stimulator (action), Muddler minnow (food item)
just because: Tom Thumb, Chernobyl ant, Yummy mummy, Sex dungeon, etc.

In the end, naming a fly is up to the creator of the fly if they wish. Otherwise it will come down to the users of the fly if it becomes popular to pick a name that easily identifies the fly to others. Personally I like flies to have names because it allows me to get information during a day fishing. When I ask my buddy what fly he caught that last fish on, "An orange stimulator." or "a size 14 chromie" carries a lot more information to me than, "A big orangey-yellow thing with a hair wing and some hackle" or "A little shiny buggy thing I tied up last night".
Exactly!
Old 01-15-2018, 04:59 PM

I haven't named too many of my own creations, after tying for over 30 years, I'm sure I would have forgotten the names of many early patterns by now.

I like the "BS" names, shows the person doesn't take fishing, or themselves to seriously and I like that. All things fishing should be fun, first and foremost.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:59 PM

Enuff ginkgo WR and she'll float lol never saw the bead lol early morning reply
Old 01-16-2018, 07:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Exactly!
You're making the assumption that I think its important to name a tie so that I can easily provide others with information as to what it is.
Its not my problem... its theirs. I already know what it is.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:38 AM
Banned

When I ask my buddy what fly he caught that last fish on, "An orange stimulator." or "a size 14 chromie" carries a lot more information to me than, "A big orangey-yellow thing with a hair wing and some hackle" or "A little shiny buggy thing I tied up last night".

How about just saying "a stonefly pattern" or a "red ribbed silver chironomid pattern".

The vast majority of the time, we want (and get) to have a look at exactly what the pattern is. By looking at the pattern, we can decide if we have something similar. Also, by looking at it (and maybe taking a picture) we can figure out what materials were used and can replicate the pattern if we choose.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:38 AM

Come on guys,,,, let's not get too serious about this.

Naming a fly allows for pattern recognition even if it is a knock off of an established pattern. And why not have some fun with it?

My vote for originality of name goes to Master Baetis!!!
Old 01-16-2018, 09:17 AM

I tied up a neat looking dry fly the other night; I think I'll call it the "Adams"
Old 01-16-2018, 11:53 AM
Banned

I can understand the need to name a fly if it is to be sold commercially to set it apart from others. Variations that we tie of established patterns have a very limited audience and thus we would refer to them as "a Hare's ear nymph with X difference", "a Barr's emerger, but with X difference", "an Adam's, but with X difference". This provides more information than giving them some random name.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
Come on guys,,,, let's not get too serious about this.

Naming a fly allows for pattern recognition even if it is a knock off of an established pattern. And why not have some fun with it?

My vote for originality of name goes to Master Baetis!!!
i also like that name but there is all ready a pattern with it

Old 01-16-2018, 12:58 PM

was not expecting this healthy of a discussion around this fly lmao. i think the reason i want to name it is because based on material selection and the construction of the fly i have not found another like it. it is similarly constructed to other baetis patterns but i think it stems from the profile that one looks to achieve to imitate a baetis nymph. as for what i would lean towards for a name this thread has called into question whether or not i should actually name the fly. as others have stated a name would help for commercial use which this fly more than likely would not be but on the same note i feel that any good pattern should have a name. the simple fact that it has proven to be a productive pattern might justify a name for it. i want everyone to feel free to tie it and fish it. it would help a lot to see whether or not it is actually as productive as i think it is. if anyone doesnt want to tie it feel free to message me and i will try and send you some. thanks again guys i really appreciate the healthy discussion around the topic

Old 01-16-2018, 04:06 PM
Banned

Yes, the mid-winter blues leaves me (and others) with not much better to do than to cause trouble. Somewhat mentally stimulating.
Regarding sending out some of your ties, please send me 200 of assorted sizes. Hah! Kidding. No, I may tie a few of your pattern, but undoubtedly use different materials. Does that mean I should change the name (once you have finally decided on one)? Again, kidding.
Your enthusiasm lifts my spirits and I only wish you well.