Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-09-2018, 05:42 PM

Talisker 10 year I really like. Just had one of my orders show up yesterday. Talisker Port Ruighe, and it is scrumptious!! Now when I get back from camp next week the Talisker 18yr should be here.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Well that is just a sad story sir... lol! I had a dram of the Lag 16 last night and am down to just a couple more. That is a bottle I will be re-adding to the group when gone. Such a nice dram!
Speaking of drams, is there an official "standard" measure for a dram? I was wondering that the other night and couldn't find anything conclusive online.

Another thing, do any of you scotch drinkers worry over storage temperatures?

I'm holding tight on the Lavagulin 16 for now....enough open bottles.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:51 AM

I don't worry about storage temperature myself. I have a few bottles that I have been nursing along for 3-5 years, and they have not deteriorated in any manner that I can detect. It's usually the Tip Top shelf stuff that I do that with (25 yr Highland Park, 25 yr Laphroaig, 16 yr Scapa that you can't get anymore, Glenmorangie Signet)....If I though temperature was an issue I guess I'd store them in my cool room. As it is, they are in the cabinet above the fridge. Dark storage is more important I think, if you had them someplace in direct sunlight I think that would have more of a deleterious effect.

As for a dram, Merriam Websters defines it as such:

1 a US : a unit of liquid capacity equal to ¹/₈ fluid ounce — see weights and measures table
b : fluid dram

2 a : a small portion of something to drink

b : a small amount

Seeing as a dram is 1/8th of a fluid ounce, I will have to change my expression, as I have never had a dram in my life. Usually what I call a dram would be more like a dozen drams.

Last evening I had a few and various drams to keep the cold out (-40 C here!)....and finished off a few bottles that were down to the tailings. Did in the 12 yr old Aberlour (a nice double), finished off my current bottle of Balblair 1990 (that was maybe a couple of doubles ), and finished the evening with a dirty look from the wife and a nice double of the Glendronach 12 yr old.

In context, that is from 4 PM when I came home and saw the new crack in the bumper of the wife's Tiguan that she loaned to my just started driving 16 yr old, and 10 PM when I packed it in. A beautiful Scottish evening!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 01-11-2018 at 08:59 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:23 PM

Some great conversation here gang. I am a dedicated Scotch drinker and lean toward the peaty and smokey varieties. Talisker Storm, Lagavulin, Laphroaig Quarter Cask and Bowmore Darkest are some of my stand by favourites.

I recently was given a set of silicone ice sphere moulds. They make a ball of ice about 2 inches in diameter. The size seems to delay the melt. One in a good heavy scotch glass and you are in a very good place.

I also wanted to mention that in north Calgary we have a new liquor store called Wine and Beyond. They have the most amazing scotch selection I have ever seen. There are varieties by old standby producers that I did not know existed. Prices for scotch are exactly in line with Superstore. If you have and hour or two to kill in this bitter cold it is definitely worth checking out. I was looking online and there are 4 or 5 in Edmonton area as well. The wine prices are a little higher than superstore but often have some pretty excellent deals.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:28 PM

Those are some great Islays there for sure! Some of my favorites as well. Have you given any of the Ardbeg offerings a whirl yet? If not, may I strongly suggest the Uigeadail...it is superb as well and fits in very nicely with the taste profile preference.

As for the ice balls, I've heard they don't melt as quick, but I don't really like any dilution effect (other than an initial drop or two of water, especially on cask strength)....Whisky Rocks kept in the freezer work if you like to chill your whisky as well, without any dilution. But there is no 'wrong' way to drink a good whisky, other than adding ginger ale or coke in which case you probably need a good smack!

Also, Wine and Beyond is a great place to shop for sure, I try and get to the one in Edmonton every chance I am there. Wish we had one in GP. Thanks for joining in on this thread, be sure and contribute any time the mood strikes you!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-11-2018, 01:44 PM

You bet on the ice melt. I just am a one or two drops off water guy to release the flavour. The large balls really seem to help. I have seen them pretty cheap in Winners. Worth a try.

Yes I have tried Ardbeg but not for a few years. Gonna put it on my shopping list. I always like to change it up from time to time.

I just searched the one you mentioned. Uigeadail derives from the Scotch Gaelic for 'Dark and Mysterious Place' and is named for the Loch from whence Ardbeg draws its waters. It was also named World Whiskey of the Year in 2009 in one publication. Definitely gonna look for it now.
Thanks for the input.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:55 PM

Default Scotch

This is an interesting thread, and has made for some great reading. My dad and brother drank a fair bit of scotch, and one time could not stand the aroma.
But, as I get older, I have started to develop a taste for good bourbon, and now scotch.
What amazes me, is the wide selections available. I often shop in the Chateau Louis Liquor store in Edmonton, and they seem to have a good selection.

Is there other places a person should visit? I have always said I do my best shopping is in a gun shop, or a liquor store.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydad&son View Post

I just searched the one you mentioned. Uigeadail derives from the Scotch Gaelic for 'Dark and Mysterious Place' and is named for the Loch from whence Ardbeg draws its waters. It was also named World Whiskey of the Year in 2009 in one publication. Definitely gonna look for it now.
Thanks for the input.
I'd be willing to bet it will end up on your list of favorites!

Are there other places a person should visit in Edmonton? Well, the Chateau is The Bomb for selection I have heard (still need to get there myself some day!) but as mentioned Wine and Beyond has a great selection and reasonable prices.

Old 01-11-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseBurger View Post
Polished off what was left of a couple bottles over the holidays so I need a new bottle. Any suggestions for single malts in the $80 range?

Some of the scotch's I've had:

Glenlivet 12, 15?
Glenfinnich 12
Glenfarclas 17, 35
Bruichladdich many variations
Laphroaigh Quarter cask
Bowmore
Oban
Craggenmore 20
Aberlour A'Bunadh - small batch Speyside whisky bottled at cask strength ~62%, so you'll have to add water to bring the alcohol down to a drinkable level. It's a rich sherried scotch that'll run ya about $85-90.

Macallan 12 - If you can find it...I've heard they ran out of age stock, so now it's classified by color. Still a good dram.

Glenlivet 15 - Probably my favorite, a bit spendy though.

Check out ralfydotcom's youtube channel. The guy does some great reviews on all whiskys, it's where I go to get ideas on what to try next. Good luck!!
Old 01-11-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydad&son View Post
Some great conversation here gang. I am a dedicated Scotch drinker and lean toward the peaty and smokey varieties. Talisker Storm, Lagavulin, Laphroaig Quarter Cask and Bowmore Darkest are some of my stand by favourites.
I couldn’t agree more, great whiskies!

As far as storage I agree with TC. I keep my regular drinking whiskey in the pantry. Everything else I store in the basement in the dark. I’ve got some stuff that’s been open for 3-5 years (lagavullin, oban, octomore...) and I notice no differences in taste.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:10 PM
AO Sponsor

Picked up another new Glenmorangie tonight, this one being The Quinta Ruban. It is a 12 year finished in Portuguese port casks. I seem to have a thing for Glenmorangie offerings lately, this being number 4 in my collection. First dram down I will say it is very thick and definitely sweet! Almost chewy would be a good word for it. The port casks come through in spades. I picked up a lot of dried fruits and raisins. I think it will be really enjoyable long term. I will try it with a few drops of water next go around and see what other flavours creep out...

Old 01-12-2018, 03:12 PM

That is indeed a lovely whisky Tirebob. Chewy is a good word to use with it too, if I remember correctly it's got great legs in the glass, almost oily on the tongue? I haven't had it for a while, but I do remember that it had some really nice dried fruit notes, dates and raisins (almost a Christmas fruitcake thing, but in a good way)...

I'm working on another bottle of the Balblair 1990 tonight, I cracked it to celebrate the Flames win over Tampa last night. Any occasion will do! And it's Friday!

Old 01-12-2018, 03:17 PM

I really enjoy the Jura 16. Picked up a taster 200ml a while ago and may have to seek out a full size bottle!

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskie...ar-old-whisky/

Edit: I generally drink whiskey/scotch on the rocks.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoteStopper View Post
I really enjoy the Jura 16. Picked up a taster 200ml a while ago and may have to seek out a full size bottle!

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskie...ar-old-whisky/

Edit: I generally drink whiskey/scotch on the rocks.
If you like the 16, I'd say start working on a good friend now to get you the 21 yr old for your birthday! It's a real dandy! I like the Jura in general though...have you tried the 10 yr, or the Superstition yet? I think the Superstition is excellent at the price.

Old 01-12-2018, 04:08 PM

Wine and Beyond is my go to place, decent selection and the pricing is always good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I'd be willing to bet it will end up on your list of favorites!

Are there other places a person should visit in Edmonton? Well, the Chateau is The Bomb for selection I have heard (still need to get there myself some day!) but as mentioned Wine and Beyond has a great selection and reasonable prices.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:27 PM

I'm looking at a Glenlivet Single Cask Edition right now. It was gifted to me by the HR manager at work for Christmas. Tonight's the night to try a wee bit. Never had so it is new to me, but new is good when it comes to adventures with Scotch.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
I'm looking at a Glenlivet Single Cask Edition right now. It was gifted to me by the HR manager at work for Christmas. Tonight's the night to try a wee bit. Never had so it is new to me, but new is good when it comes to adventures with Scotch.
Well? How is it? I'm still working on my Balblair 90 and enjoying some hockey.....

Old 01-12-2018, 08:08 PM

Very good, but it is a bit of a surprise to what I expected. I'm thinking a few more is needed to give a good report. Not so much joy with the Oilers game. My son in law is a Calgary guy and he seems to be on top of the world right now though. But he's not a Scotch man, so he loses no matter how hockey turns out. Go Flames(I guess)
Old 01-12-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Very good, but it is a bit of a surprise to what I expected. I'm thinking a few more is needed to give a good report. Not so much joy with the Oilers game. My son in law is a Calgary guy and he seems to be on top of the world right now though. But he's not a Scotch man, so he loses no matter how hockey turns out. Go Flames(I guess)
Oilers tied it, still hope!

Old 01-12-2018, 08:21 PM

Well TC there is still hope for a lot of things in life. The Oilers, not so much. I did just check the internet though and Scotland is still there, so I will sleep well tonight.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Well TC there is still hope for a lot of things in life. The Oilers, not so much. I did just check the internet though and Scotland is still there, so I will sleep well tonight.
Your courage is inspiring!

A friend just came by to pick up some material to fix a problem in his house, and he had a nice 100 ml bottle of the Glenmorangie Quitna Rueban for me! Nice! It is every bit as delightful as I remember tirebob. As you say, chewy...mmmmmm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180112_203008.jpg (59.4 KB, 25 views)

Old 01-12-2018, 08:33 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Your courage is inspiring!

A friend just came by to pick up some material to fix a problem in his house, and he had a nice 100 ml bottle of the Glenmorangie Quitna Rueban for me! Nice! It is every bit as delightful as I remember tirebob. As you say, chewy...mmmmmm
Nice!!! It was meant to be...
Old 01-12-2018, 08:42 PM

Tried some Laphroaig Select tonight, not impressed at all. And I am a HUGE Laphroaig fan, quater cast and 10 yr, so I saw the select and thought it's Laphroaig bet I will like it, but nope not impressed at all.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Nice!!! It was meant to be...
Really enjoying it, been a while but what a lovely whiskey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smason View Post
Tried some Laphroaig Select tonight, not impressed at all. And I am a HUGE Laphroaig fan, quater cast and 10 yr, so I saw the select and thought it's Laphroaig bet I will like it, but nope not impressed at all.
Good to know, I'm a big Laphroaig fan, but have had a couple of their limited offerings that were less than stellar....

Old 01-15-2018, 04:25 AM

I think next time I hit Costco in GP I'll grab their Kirkland bottle and start from there, I've been reading and rereading this thread and I have to start somewhere. So it begins...
Old 01-16-2018, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronji View Post
This is an interesting thread, and has made for some great reading. My dad and brother drank a fair bit of scotch, and one time could not stand the aroma.
But, as I get older, I have started to develop a taste for good bourbon, and now scotch.
What amazes me, is the wide selections available. I often shop in the Chateau Louis Liquor store in Edmonton, and they seem to have a good selection.

Is there other places a person should visit? I have always said I do my best shopping is in a gun shop, or a liquor store.
Check out Vines off rabbit Hill road, definitely worth a look. The guys I've met there know their scotch (and they also have the best rum I've ever tasted)
Old 02-12-2018, 05:37 PM

With the cold weather back....it's time to revive this thread!

Been enjoying a different sort of drink too, picked up a bottle of Gooderham & Worts Little Trinity 17yr (rye/corn/wheat blend) and it really is great stuff. Between that and the Aberlour 12 I'm in good hands.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:29 PM

Drinking some Scapa now.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 02-12-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Drinking some Scapa now.
Love that Scapa, beautiful stuff. I'm working on a dram of 12 year old Highland Park tonigh, simple and elegant (and affordable).

I did break down and open one of my sacred bottles of Glendronach the other night, the 18 year old tawny port finished limited casking. It's like the heavenly angels came down and peed bliss on your tongue, or something....good Lord is it ever good. Top 3 all time. Hard to hoard....one in the drink aisle, and one left in the safe. Already a bit sad about it....i had another stashed, but a good friend of mine was diagnosed stage 4 colon cancer, so I sent him one to share with his dad and brother. A good cause.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180124_215811.jpg (28.5 KB, 17 views)

Old 02-12-2018, 10:17 PM

I picked up a bottle of Laphroaig px cask on the way home from our European trip a couple weeks ago. Haven't cracked it yet, honestly scared to as if I enjoy it, I will probably have a hard time finding again. Has anyone here tried it before? Also grabbed a bottle of lagavulin 16.