Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-11-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
As far as firearms and reloading supoes are concerned, I can do without Wholesale Sports, Cabelas or Bass Pro, and not suffer at all, bùt I have shopped there for clothing decoys, and other accessories. And Canadian Tire and Wal-Mart are pretty much useless for those items.
Were you in PR today? Might have seen you? (my go to for reloading stuff!)
Old 01-11-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
As far as firearms and reloading supoes are concerned, I can do without Wholesale Sports, Cabelas or Bass Pro, and not suffer at all, bùt I have shopped there for clothing decoys, and other accessories. And Canadian Tire and Wal-Mart are pretty much useless for those items.

I totally agree with you.

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."
- Bob Hagel
Old 01-11-2018, 04:20 PM
Banned

Wss has always been cheaper than the other stores. Since they handed over their inventory to a liquidation company, the prices skyrocketed. They ceased to be wss back in the summer.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Thumper View Post
Were you in PR today? Might have seen you? (my go to for reloading stuff!)
Yes I was at PR this .morning. I dropped off five more firearms to go on consignment . The proceeds should cover my next purchase. I did get away cheap today with only a flat of shotshells and a case of shotshell primers.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Yes I was at PR this .morning. I dropped off five more firearms to go on consignment . The proceeds should cover my next purchase. I did get away cheap today with only a flat of shotshells and a case of shotshell primers.
Oh wow...what firearms are you selling?
Old 01-11-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Oh wow...what firearms are you selling?
AYA 20 gauge SxS, 725 Trap, Sako Bavarian carbine, and a couple of heavy barrel Coopers. If I have to think back to when I last used It, I don't need it. My inventory has gone from over 40 firearms to under 20 in the last two years.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
AYA 20 gauge SxS, 725 Trap, Sako Bavarian carbine, and a couple of heavy barrel Coopers. If I have to think back to when I last used It, I don't need it. My inventory has gone from over 40 firearms to under 20 in the last two years.
That’s understandable...so what are you chasing now? I have a feeling that I’ll like it
Old 01-11-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
That’s understandable...so what are you chasing now? I have a feeling that I’ll like it
A Blaser F-3 or Krieghoff K-80 for sporting clays.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:02 PM

Default Lack of firearm shops in Saskatoon

I would like to see another sports shop here in Sasaktoon. Cabelas is the only major player now. There are a cuople of smaller shops and one is more of a specialty shop with AR type firearms. Cableas tends to be more US orientated. Where I would like to see more choices is in Canadian ammunition and other manufacturers of firearms from different counties, with out having to order online. In alot of cases even with buying bulk and having to pay for shipping the cost is higher( not always).
Old 01-12-2018, 10:44 PM
Banned

Big US stores takin over, no good, luckily lots of other good Canadian stores still out there.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:32 AM

I do the vast majority of my shopping online and I'm an old fart, slow to embrace technology. Younger urbanites are way more connected and tech savvy than older folk. The future does not bode well for brick and mortar stores.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
I do the vast majority of my shopping online and I'm an old fart, slow to embrace technology. Younger urbanites are way more connected and tech savvy than older folk. The future does not bode well for brick and mortar stores.
The problem is, that things like boots, need to be tried on to find a boot that fits properly. Shotguns are something that many people buy online, with no clue as to whether the gun fits them, because many people have no comprehension of shotgun fit. So while online shopping works for many things, there is still a need for actually shopping in person for some items.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:04 AM
Banned

I’m one of those “tech savvy “ young guys and I still do most of my shopping in store. For the most part I hate online ordering. Mainly for a security blanket feeling for me if you want to say it. If I have a problem with something or want to return something it’s way easier to do that in store. Just like Elkhunter said there is something about fondling before you buy.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:08 AM

I don't think you will see a replacement for Wholesale sports. The writing was on the wall especially in Edmonton when Cabelas opened two stores, wholesale 2 stores, then CT got into the business. The market is too small to support all those big box stores. The ones with the deepest pockets knew this and was only a matter of time until they squeezed out Wholesale. I wouldn`t be surprised if Cabelas doesn't close the North Store and focuses on one big store for the area or perhaps one of the stores turns into a Bass Pro now that they are sister companies.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:32 AM

sorry to hijack a bit here, but Elkhunter, since you are trimming down your inventory, do you have any 16 gauge shotguns that you might part with at some time?
Old 01-13-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffy71 View Post
sorry to hijack a bit here, but Elkhunter, since you are trimming down your inventory, do you have any 16 gauge shotguns that you might part with at some time?
I only have one 16 gauge shotgun, and since I am not looking to sell it, you wouldn't like my price. The same is true for all of the firearms that I don't want to sell.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
The problem is, that things like boots, need to be tried on to find a boot that fits properly. Shotguns are something that many people buy online, with no clue as to whether the gun fits them, because many people have no comprehension of shotgun fit. So while online shopping works for many things, there is still a need for actually shopping in person for some items.
True, I don't buy clothes/shoes without trying them on first. Look how retailing has changed in the last few decades, gone are Eatons, Kmart, Zellers and now Sears. Of all stores Sears should have made the transition to e-commerce seamlessly given their experience with mail-order. Wally mart was a big store killer for sure but even they have online shopping. Evolution in business as in life, adapt or die.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:09 AM

The shakeout of big box sports stores in the US and Eastern Canada continues. Canada is a blip on the margins of the US market. A replacement for Wholesale Sports is very unlikely.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:17 PM
Banned

BassPro, Cabelas, WSS....meh! We're very fortunate to have Fly's Etc. right here in beautiful historic High River. Not big box, but a big little store. Friendly, knowledgeable staff and owners, what more could you want? Check out their site by clicking the banner at the top of this page.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
BassPro, Cabelas, WSS....meh! We're very fortunate to have Fly's Etc. right here in beautiful historic High River. Not big box, but a big little store. Friendly, knowledgeable staff and owners, what more could you want? Check out their site by clicking the banner at the top of this page.
Agreed...except for one of the employees and most know who he is!

I buy lots of stuff from Udo. A true gent!
Old 01-14-2018, 05:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukar Hunter View Post
Agreed...except for one of the employees and most know who he is!

I buy lots of stuff from Udo. A true gent!
I know whom you speak of CH. I work my way around him as I know what I want and don't require opinions nor suggestions.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:29 PM

Don't see why it wouldn't work
Old 01-31-2018, 11:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskbooknut View Post
The shakeout of big box sports stores in the US and Eastern Canada continues. Canada is a blip on the margins of the US market. A replacement for Wholesale Sports is very unlikely.
Seems like a lot of Big Box Sports Stores are going out of business or already have. Look at Sports Authority in the USA, Gander Mountain, Dicks and Field and Stream. All are struggling. Academy in Texas and other close by areas are doing really good.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
Seems like a lot of Big Box Sports Stores are going out of business or already have. Look at Sports Authority in the USA, Gander Mountain, Dicks and Field and Stream. All are struggling. Academy in Texas and other close by areas are doing really good.
I walked into Cabelas the other day on a saturday and it was very quite also.
You never see any line ups at the tills .

Must be because every thing is very high priced...winter coats starting at $500.

May be co-op will move into the WWS location on Yellowhead trail .
Old 02-01-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
You never see any line ups at the tills.
I noticed that as well... I've been in the store off and on over the last few weeks, and it's been pretty quiet there.

They do have some great prices on clearance clothing right now, if any of you need some camo... I just picked up some snow camo neck gaiters for less than $5.00 (regularly $27.00).
Old 02-01-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
You never see any line ups at the tills .

Must be because every thing is very high priced...winter coats starting at $500.
Christmas is just over, Boxing day sales are over, people are paying their credit card bills and not spending. Retail is slow everywhere this time of year.
Old 02-03-2018, 02:15 AM

I see the remaining inventory is going up for auction in Vancouver, Able auctions, I think it said. Supposed to be 500K worth there still.