Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-16-2017, 07:44 PM

I personally did not see any bulls on the three days I hunted I talked to other hunters that had cow tags and they saw bulls outside the nwa
Old 11-16-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
Weird. Seems like they are really stepping up enforcement of the rules this year.

Last year all I got checked was that I had a GPS before I went in the NWA. He didn’t even ask me to turn it on or for anything else I had.

I even drove around the base with my dash cam on (I totally forgot and have no video) and the one soldier looked at it and didn’t care.
New Base Commander ............ basically a new sheriff in town. Sounds like they are being a lot more thorough and a lot stricter. A number of lifetime bans handed out already this week by the sounds of things.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:52 PM

I would agree that one should try for the nwa

FYI last day of this series of hunts you were pretty much guaranteed to get the draw so remember to have all the requirements

Also don't forget pal win card etc, I forgot my win and got worried they wouldn't let me in but it was ok
Old 11-17-2017, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stirfry1 View Post
I would agree that one should try for the nwa

FYI last day of this series of hunts you were pretty much guaranteed to get the draw so remember to have all the requirements

Also don't forget pal win card etc, I forgot my win and got worried they wouldn't let me in but it was ok

What exactly are the requirements for the draw?
Old 11-17-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
What exactly are the requirements for the draw?
Posted on page 2
Old 11-17-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdese View Post
How much snow on the ground down there. Debating on a sled or game cart for retrieval? Thanks
I used a sled and it went pretty smooth. There are some drifted areas that might make the game cart hard to pull. I would bring both if you have room.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:07 PM

NWA draw had at least two cheaters on the second day who put their name in multiple times and were drawn twice. Kicker is they still got the access. Really frustrating when you know the best place to go, have the equipment required, and are cheated out of the opportunity.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:15 PM

Default Cheaters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_A_Ron View Post
NWA draw had at least two cheaters on the second day who put their name in multiple times and were drawn twice. Kicker is they still got the access. Really frustrating when you know the best place to go, have the equipment required, and are cheated out of the opportunity.
I think what happened is that there were trucks with multiple tag holders. Each person with a tag was entitled to put their name in. The same truck numbers were drawn attached to separate names. I wouldn't call this cheating.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:53 PM

I was one of those "cheaters,that was drawn twice on day 2 for the nwa.i only put in one entry,my partner didn't.if you were actually paying attention at the briefing, when they realized there mistake, they drew two more numbers at the end of the briefing so all 25 passes were drawn.did u actually see people put in multiple entries?or just a little bitter u didn't get drawn.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patcha View Post
I was one of those "cheaters,that was drawn twice on day 2 for the nwa.i only put in one entry,my partner didn't.if you were actually paying attention at the briefing, when they realized there mistake, they drew two more numbers at the end of the briefing so all 25 passes were drawn.did u actually see people put in multiple entries?or just a little bitter u didn't get drawn.
So how did you do?
Old 11-18-2017, 09:52 PM

Didn't shoot an elk.passed on a small bull on day 2,then had to cut my trip short and head home tues nite.still had a lot of fun,saw lots of animals including a 500 plus herd of elk.ive got a couple priority points for antlerless elk.i might try to pull a tag on the base again.lots of fun.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:45 AM

Default Second Hunt

How’d everyone make out on the second hunt? Anyone have official numbers of animals taken from the 1st and 2nd hunt?
Old 11-19-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratlander View Post
How’d everyone make out on the second hunt? Anyone have official numbers of animals taken from the 1st and 2nd hunt?
I believe that the second hunt starts tomorrow.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:06 PM

So 6:00am tomorrow at the rec center in ralston, were the meetings starting late last week?
Old 11-19-2017, 03:11 PM

Supposed to start at 6 but with all the people the paperwork takes some time.

They did not let people into the base for sixty minutes after the completion of the briefing

Day 2 took till almost 9:30
Old 11-19-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post
I believe that the second hunt starts tomorrow.
Cool. Thanks man. Anyone have numbers from the first hunt?
Old 11-19-2017, 09:24 PM

Just heard there are quite a few elk up in the NE corner of the base. Good luck everyone.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:44 AM

Waiting in the parking lot now
Old 11-20-2017, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratlander View Post
Just heard there are quite a few elk up in the NE corner of the base. Good luck everyone.

More than likely in (or very close to) the NWA ......... which is a "draw within a draw".
Old 11-20-2017, 05:10 PM

Default Hunt 2

Got on to a herd of 30/40 with a few small bulls amongst them at about 0830ish just east of the Hockwald parked and started to stalk in, had good wind and some good low spots to move in would have to take our time as the animals were bunched and we would have to carefully select our animal as we didnt want to wound a cow or another bull, no sooner had we started to walk than the herd started to run due to a hunter in a pickup driving straight at them .......hunt done. last elk we saw all day .
If you too fat and lazy to walk maybe stay at home !!!
Book in process was good loved the fact that people are not issued passes until after the brief this year to prevent wacky races on the 884.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannypee View Post
Got on to a herd of 30/40 with a few small bulls amongst them at about 0830ish just east of the Hockwald parked and started to stalk in, had good wind and some good low spots to move in would have to take our time as the animals were bunched and we would have to carefully select our animal as we didnt want to wound a cow or another bull, no sooner had we started to walk than the herd started to run due to a hunter in a pickup driving straight at them .......hunt done. last elk we saw all day .
If you too fat and lazy to walk maybe stay at home !!!
Book in process was good loved the fact that people are not issued passes until after the brief this year to prevent wacky races on the 884.
How in the hell did you get to elk by 08:30? Both days I was there nobody got onto the base before 9:21. That’s when the very first truck was let in. I was number 25 in line on day 2.

Id also say that having some idiots speeding is nobody’s business but the RCMP. There’s provincial laws. I’d say it was a WAAAY bigger safety concern to have 50-60 vehicles lined up on the side of a 2 lane hiway with no shoulder.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:24 PM

Default Hunt 2

Lol sorry 0930ish my mistake plus only 80 hunters out of 125 turned up so it could have been sooner just the way she goes i suppose.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
How in the hell did you get to elk by 08:30? Both days I was there nobody got onto the base before 9:21. That’s when the very first truck was let in. I was number 25 in line on day 2.

Id also say that having some idiots speeding is nobody’s business but the RCMP. There’s provincial laws. I’d say it was a WAAAY bigger safety concern to have 50-60 vehicles lined up on the side of a 2 lane hiway with no shoulder.
Ya it probably is the rcmps deal but two years back in fog with idiots overtaking at stupid speeds is kinda my deal i didnt fancy getting killed by a douche wanting to get an elk , you seem upset did you not have a goid hunt ?
Old 11-20-2017, 05:38 PM

We were in the base by 8:08am and were hunting. Too bad we didn't see an elk all day. 3 bulls were taken today but didn't see how many cows. Better like tomorrow I guess
Old 11-20-2017, 05:49 PM

Default Hunt 2

Guess it was 0830ish lol
Old 11-21-2017, 05:28 PM

With not much info on success for the first hunt, and a lack of any updates on the second, I’m thinking this hunting opportunity has gone downhill fast.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:37 PM

My guess would be around 40 animals taken in the first week with only 7 taken on the last days that I had heard of.

Best thing a person could have done is hunt wherever I wasn't, seemed like they were there yesterday or tomorrow

I would have had a better chance of finding bigfoot last week lol
Old 11-21-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
With not much info on success for the first hunt, and a lack of any updates on the second, I’m thinking this hunting opportunity has gone downhill fast.
Kinda thinking the same.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:03 PM

Went down yesterday for a cow, never drew the lucky nwa allocation so had to slum it with the other 55 trucks that didn't get into elk heaven. We had a good look around and saw very little fresh sign anywhere but crossing in and out of the nwa. As we were closer to the last truck onto the base then the first we didn't bother trying to hit the road paralleling the nwa first thing in the morning.
We did find one spot where a couple hundred head had traveled into the southern out of bounds a few days ago (possibly during the first week). Late afternoon I spotted a cow laying down in some grass, head down flat like an old whitetail. After watching for a while with the spotter I saw she was alive but thought she must be injured. We put a sneak on her and got to about 240 yards when she stood up. At that point she looked healthy so the sister in law knocked her back down and we were tagged out. She wasn't previously injured but for whatever reason was out hiding by herself.
Compared to the two times I was there in 2015 this year was much better organized, the meetings and way they filtered everyone out of the hall was good for preventing the congestion and road rage I saw before. I didn't appreciate a few MP's going through my truck but them showing they were serious about enforcing their rules and once again filtering guys timing onto the base wasn't a bad thing. It wasn't good for us because we were almost the last guys onto the base but it really wasn't an issue.
Once on the base we saw very few trucks and no unethical behavior. I see far more competition hunting public land. Luckily we did see a truck when I had my front and rear diff sitting on rocks and the tire chains weren't moving me. He probably saved us a few hours of work trying to get out of that predicament.

If a guy had the tag it would be foolish not to go down. There's a good chance to get into the nwa and even outside on the open base there are still elk, they're just not as easy to find as years gone past. If your capable of walking and getting into the nwa it's probably a pretty good hunt. With the snow it's not hard to figure out where they're at and you'll see a ton of antelope and mule deer.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stirfry1 View Post
My guess would be around 40 animals taken in the first week with only 7 taken on the last days that I had heard of.

Best thing a person could have done is hunt wherever I wasn't, seemed like they were there yesterday or tomorrow

I would have had a better chance of finding bigfoot last week lol

I think he said they killed 63 elk the first week.

We were #7 yesterday when we checked out and I believe the third that wasn't out of the nwa.