Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-14-2018, 10:48 AM

Default Can I go out in the middle of the week, or do I have to be at the Monday a.m breifing?

Hey,
I have a tag for this week, but cannot hunt on Monday (possibly not tuesday). My friend who will be going with me thinks that i have to be at the Monday morning breif, or I cannot hunt for the rest of the week. Is that true?
thanks.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPuffyPants View Post
Hey,
I have a tag for this week, but cannot hunt on Monday (possibly not tuesday). My friend who will be going with me thinks that i have to be at the Monday morning breif, or I cannot hunt for the rest of the week. Is that true?
thanks.

When I was there in Nov, they had the same "full briefing" every day so you should be fine.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:30 PM

Default SE Alberta road & weather conditions

Just a heads up for the folks who are heading to Suffield for tomorrow's hunt, we got a nice blanket of fresh snow this morning. Highways are decent as long as you drive to the conditions, however the snow will make for good tracking in the morning. Good luck everyone, be safe and hope you find some elk. I have a cow tag, so looking forward to getting out tomorrow.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:54 PM

Any updates of today’s hunting success ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2018, 06:19 PM

Not sure of today's success rate. We were the first truck off the base, as I had to make a meeting in Medicine Hat mid-afternoon. Put a few miles on the truck, looking for fresh tracks to follow. Saw some nice mulies but no elk. The briefing took quite while, as the first morning always seems to, and we did not get on the road until about 8:30 am. In the past they registered everyone before the briefing started however this morning they only did a partial registration and everyone else had to wait until after. It did make for more of a staggered start and fewer shenanigans in the parking lot and the highway. One thing that stunned me however was reporting of the fourteen bans that were handed out on the first day of the first hunt. Ban extends for at least this season and can be for life. Given that the(new) Base Commander truly hates having to manage this hunt and would prefer to have it cancelled, do not expect any leniency if you cross the line. Bans included having alcohol in the vehicle, shooting from a moving vehicle, driving out of bounds (in the NWA) and wastage of meat.

Looking forward to tomorrow, forecast is a lot warmer so looking forward to putting some miles on the boots, hopefully in the NWA.

Good luck all !!
Old 01-15-2018, 07:43 PM

Are any hunters seeing any big bulls in there anymore? You hear rumours that they are shot out, but must still be a few good ones?
Old 01-15-2018, 08:14 PM

They gone
Old 01-15-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
They gone
What are guys seeing there now would you say?
Old 01-15-2018, 08:21 PM

Overrun with kangaroo rats. No herds to trample them anymore.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:44 PM

They say there's still 5,000 head there, that should still be enough hooves to handle the rat infestation, i'm assuming you don't have the answer to my question, but thanks for the rat update, lol
Old 01-15-2018, 09:10 PM

We were told today the biggest bull shot so far this year was only 230. Doesn’t sound like there’s many big ones left on the base.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:30 PM

Does any body know what the final number of elk taken off the base today was
Old 01-16-2018, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crb View Post
We were told today the biggest bull shot so far this year was only 230. Doesn’t sound like there’s many big ones left on the base.
I'll gladly take any 200lbs bull, are people throphy hunting out there? I just want to fill my freezer
Old 01-16-2018, 07:00 AM

I was told 3 Bulls and 3 Cows none from the NWA..
Old 01-16-2018, 08:20 AM

they gone
Old 01-16-2018, 09:37 AM

They aren't talking about weight....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PwrEng View Post
I'll gladly take any 200lbs bull, are people throphy hunting out there? I just want to fill my freezer
Old 01-16-2018, 09:51 AM

Has anyone been seening elk surrounding the base?
Old 01-16-2018, 12:27 PM

Hunted the top half of the base yesterday and no sign of elk in or out or existed when we left the exit point herd 4 elk were takin and 1 was a find all cows only 2 spots were pinned on map inside tho and rumors of a guy who seen a couple groups of hundreds of elk were circulating but we only saw antelope in groups of hundreds not sure how well you can trust the info givin by them tho because of the major lack of info from the start but was still happy for the experience cant wait to return tomorrow(as much as i wish i was there today)
Old 01-16-2018, 01:00 PM

i'm telling you,,,,,,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gone.JPG (55.6 KB, 176 views)
Old 01-16-2018, 08:21 PM

Six animals harvested Monday, running total for all hunts combined to this point is approximately 200. Was unsuccessful in drawing for the NWA today so had to drive/walk in the main area. Cut several sets of tracks (probably smallish herd(s) of 20/30 head) however unable to locate the elk responsible. Some of the roads and trails are best to avoid (North Buffalo Trail and some of the Circle Roads for example) as there was quite a bit of drifting today because of the wind. didn't get (really) stuck but she was touch and go in a couple of spots

Forecast is for warmer temps and more elk to hit the ground tomorrow
Old 01-16-2018, 10:41 PM

Probably alot more guys that put into nwa for tuesday? now knowing that one of the troops in the corner takes the names for it, hoping to get drawn tomorrow for it and see better than what I've heard BEST of luck to everyone else (after they draw my name lol)

I am loving the forecast for tomorrow

Last edited by Eat-my-rack; 01-16-2018 at 10:49 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:06 PM

Fewer licensed hunters at the briefing this morning, more FN for sure. When i went through the gate, zero elk had been registered. I know for a fact that three bulls hit the ground, as I stopped to chat with the successful party. Two trucks , five hunters ...... they will (most likely) be back tomorrow to look for more ....... because they can
Old 01-17-2018, 08:16 PM

How much snow is there?
Old 01-17-2018, 08:24 PM

Sounds like it's not a hunt I should take the kids on.......
dissapointing results by what I am hearing
Old 01-17-2018, 08:43 PM

Default Suffield

Hi Hunters , im going to suffield monday hunt , buddy just bailed , any other Hunters going single ? Meet up ?
Old 01-17-2018, 08:56 PM

4 of us will be there Monday. Elk or no elk we'll make the best of it and have some fun.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
How much snow is there?
Plus 10 forecast for tomorrow ...... there is not a lot now
Old 01-17-2018, 09:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Sounds like it's not a hunt I should take the kids on.......
dissapointing results by what I am hearing
Why not? Could be a cool day or 2 away with Dad. Go for hike, track rabbits in the snow, go swimming in the hotel pool?
Or teach them the best thing about hunting.. Mid day naps!!!!

Have fun
Jamie
Old 01-17-2018, 09:33 PM

I agree. It's missing school that is tough. My one kid isn't doing great and I have to watch how much we do like this. We also already just had a blast on our Buffalo hunt. The other kid isn't all that into hunting but comes along. I figure if it got real boring driving around a base it might not help him be as enthused to go next time. He likes to see a few critters. We will see. I know I would go myself no matter what if I had a tag
Old 01-17-2018, 09:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
I agree. It's missing school that is tough. My one kid isn't doing great and I have to watch how much we do like this. We also already just had a blast on our Buffalo hunt. The other kid isn't all that into hunting but comes along. I figure if it got real boring driving around a base it might not help him be as enthused to go next time. He likes to see a few critters. We will see. I know I would go myself no matter what if I had a tag
School is school. One or 2 days won't hurt.
Tell Mom you will study with him at night (While in the pool)
LOLOl

I know, never a easy call.