Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 11:54 AM

Default chew outs

Over the years ,I have also lucked out with chew outs!-all three times they were laying dead 25 yards away
Old 01-02-2018, 12:21 PM

Had 1 chewout so far 5/64 cable but recaught him 70yards down the trail
Old 01-02-2018, 01:19 PM

Had a chew out on my last check ... but that wasn’t a stinger snare. Still have a few non-Senneker snares in circulation.

Right now I’m using 5/64 with magnum spring, 6’ snare and 6’ extension. Anchored low.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:42 PM
Banned

Happy new year! Coyote harvesters!! Just got reinstated to the site thanks to MR Miscosky ! a very level headed man in my opinion!
So as far as where and what and how high to tie snares , I have tried every place from top to bottom and with the exception of a snare not tied solid I cannot say with any certainty what level is actually better. What I can assume is that a hard stop will definitely set the stinger for sure , BUT not all hits are at speed , so that has to have a bearing on the spring doing its job.
My count so far is below 60 , as I am not going at it too hard , Very few lice , only 6 so far , all appear to be in fair condition , I did have a slow down in the warm period , But it appears things are picking up .
Old 01-02-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Sounds like someone cut your cable and took your yote....
I won't disagree they are not effective. Marty might have a pic of a black wolf I took with a small spring on a 2 inch sapling it was tied to. Feel free to post it up if you still got it Marty. Not sure where it is in my pile of pics anymore.

I have found my recipe for wolves now after a lot of trial and error. The Magnum springs are part of it and they work wonders.
It was deffinitely not cut. No other tracks, cable was pulled apart, no cut marks etc.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
The good thing about the new snares is that if a coyote manages to chew the cable and escape, they DON'T get far. Do keep your eyes open for it, most often they don't make a 1/4 mile.

No more of these critters packing snares all over like in the olden days.

(You got that Dwighty ??? You and your buddies need to understand the massive changes that we have made to the way we, the Alberta trappers are conducting our business and how effective it really is. Now go join the anti-turkey coalition and really go make a difference!

I never thought to go look for it. It's too late now, but I'll keep this in mind if it happens again
Old 01-02-2018, 05:09 PM
Banned

I asked a question on the "new system" post about respective kill times between it and regular locks but only got I reply which said there were less water heads. This mechanism seems to be very close to the newer system so how does it compare to the regular locks I have used. Amberg and cam loc.

Does the one post with all the "splats" in it indicate the spring is killing them instantly?
Old 01-02-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakery 70 View Post
I asked a question on the "new system" post about respective kill times between it and regular locks but only got I reply which said there were less water heads. This mechanism seems to be very close to the newer system so how does it compare to the regular locks I have used. Amberg and cam loc.

Does the one post with all the "splats" in it indicate the spring is killing them instantly?

It doesnt kill them instantly, but that wack they get from a stinger sping or power ram probably dummies them up for a few seconds until the stars clear. then they black out a few seconds later and then they are done.

very few of my coyotes show any kind of struggle. had one this year that managed to get under chunck of deadfall and get twisted up. but no chew marks or scratch marks on the log seem to indicate he was still done in a few seconds

I have also never had a water head coyoted in a ram or a stinger snare. not bragging, just hasnt happened to me
Old 01-02-2018, 07:26 PM
Banned

Quote:

Dwight, you are hilarious. You lobby to have snares banned yet you know nothing about modern snares. Ignorant people may fall for your propaganda but to those of us with real life experience it’s just pathetic.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post

Dwight, you are hilarious. You lobby to have snares banned yet you know nothing about modern snares. Ignorant people may fall for your propaganda but to those of us with real life experience it’s just pathetic.
Dave....whoever you are you should get a life!
Old 01-02-2018, 07:38 PM
Banned

You can’t go posting about Trappers snaring dogs and setting next to acreages and recreational areas, even right next to buildings, and not expect anyone to notice. Can you be anymore obvious?
Old 01-02-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterdave View Post
you can’t go posting about trappers snaring dogs and setting next to acreages and recreational areas, even right next to buildings, and not expect anyone to notice. Can you be anymore obvious?
Old 01-02-2018, 08:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
You can’t go posting about Trappers snaring dogs and setting next to acreages and recreational areas, even right next to buildings, and not expect anyone to notice. Can you be anymore obvious?
I posted because I know two families that lost their dog because of idiot trappers, probably like yourself, who have no respect for anyone. The public has no protection other than a civil liability suit because the government wants to leave all the liability on the trapper. Such a suit is only a matter of time.

You can imagine what you want but you really should wake up!
Old 01-02-2018, 09:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
I posted because I know two families that lost their dog because of idiot trappers, probably like yourself, who have no respect for anyone. The public has no protection other than a civil liability suit because the government wants to leave all the liability on the trapper. Such a suit is only a matter of time.

I’m thinking that you are one of those self entitled Yuppies in Parkland County who think that they are above the law and can allow your dogs to run at large harassing and killing wildlife and livestock.

Obey the law, be a responsible dog owner, and don’t let your dog run at large and there won’t be any issue. You don’t get to sue anyone for you being irresponsible and breaking the law.

If irresponsible dog owners allow their dogs to run at large and they get hit by a truck, shot by a farmer protecting their livestock, caught in a snare, attacked and killed by coyotes or anything else, the only idiot is the irresponsible, law breaking, self entitled dog owner.........no one else!
Old 01-02-2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:

You should be happy we live in a province that still allows the freedom of trapping.
We sure do not want to get like California that is full of liberal wack-a-doodles that ban trapping, lead bullets, kangaroo leather products and god knows what's next.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:44 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:

Dwighty, how many dawgs have you poisoned in your career? Were you mad at yerself when you did the dirty deed? Were you ready to turn yerself in?

Also Dwighty, how many grizzly bears did you and yer buddies whack with your coyote getters? Not so selective yerself now are you, or were you if you are a has been. What has you been doin?... Bad Dwighty... BAD!!!

One of yer buddies was tellin me these neat grizzly bear stories once upon a time. There were very, very interesting stories. Very interesting! Can you please tell us some more of your stories from when you were a paid killer of wildlife? I'd really like to hear all the stories about your incidental bycatch with all your laced baits. I guess that would be bypoison, a brand new term coined right here on AO!!!

Can you please post your getter recipe for us online right here on A/O ???
Please? Beef brains and what??? Seriously, I need it, me and my American wolf killing friend really, really need your goop recipe.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:12 AM
AO Sponsor

(actually I just want it, but I'm sure we have much better stuff, but heck, one more can't hurt)
Old 01-03-2018, 01:29 AM

and crickets...........................oh look a squirrel
Old 01-03-2018, 04:19 PM
Banned

MS....between your imagination and insecurities you are one sick puppy. It's not doing your business any good either, why the constant "smart ass" act?

Now you're on too poisoning grizzly bears and wolves in the US?
Old 01-03-2018, 04:59 PM

No I believe he's asking you how many grizzly bears YOU accidently poisoned while targeting coyotes. Never mind birds of prey and god knows what else suffered a horrible death via poison.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:33 PM

Default I'm not sure who Dwight is

Can somebody let me know?
Old 01-03-2018, 07:11 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
...Now you're on too poisoning grizzly bears and wolves in the US?
No, no,no... you silly, silly man! You need to stop being so silly and start acting like a grown up! All those mean things you say about me, I'm nothing of the sort, ask anybody. I am the embodiment of words such as kindness, philanthropy, etc

I don't poison stuff, why would I, even though you seem to openly promote the use of toxicants as a replacement for humane, sustainable, and responsible trapping, if memory serves me correctly.

Just a little change up scent can be a good thing.
Let's hear it. Bring on the goop recipe!!!

Last edited by Marty S; 01-03-2018 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
No, no,no... you silly, silly man! You need to stop being so silly and start acting like a grown up! All those mean things you say about me, I'm nothing of the sort, ask anybody. I am the embodiment of words such as kindness, philanthropy, etc

I don't poison stuff, why would I, even though you seem to openly promote the use of toxicants as a replacement for humane, sustainable, and responsible trapping, if memory serves me correctly.

So no poison for me, I do not desire to poison wolves and grizzly bears as some folks in the recent past have done, still do??? No idea... However, I don't know if you recall, I may have a bit of an innovative side in my make up? Maybe? Maybe I'd even have an idea or two that would meet your discriminating, generally otherwise unattainable expectations. But the equipment that we use must be both humane for our wildlife and safe to use whilst we share the land with the public at large.

It's even nice if dawgs have a chance when their irresponsible owners let them roam at large causing havoc . If dawg can come home after a bad day in the field, not a bad thing.

Just a little change up scent can be a good thing.
Let's hear it. Bring on the goop recipe!!!
Why continue the smart ass act? FYI : wolves and likely some non target grizzlies have been poisoned intensively for the last ten years at Smokey River by the F&W which I think everyone is aware of?

"if I recall" - what are you talking about? How are you innovative?

For those who don't know "getter recipe" is cyanide poisoning I believe and when used in the same breath as being helpful to MS and a wolf killing friend in the US it's obvious what is happening.

Your position on the snaring of domestic dogs smacks of entitlement and follows your smart ass theme. However if you have something of substance to comment on it I would like to hear it. If not I suggest you contact your friend personally and sort your issues out. Nothing is being accomplished here.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:58 PM
AO Sponsor

Last time I checked, getter lure is smeared on the head of th getter, the lethal dose projectile that is fired has nothing to do with the attractant.

Yes, why are you here again?
Old 01-03-2018, 11:16 PM

And NOW we return to regular programing ..IBTL.. I caught a coyote today on my trail cam set on video mode . Anchored low , total length of snare and extension 10ft . and when the trigger went off , lights out . Set was an easy remake in the same spot .
Old 01-03-2018, 11:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
And NOW we return to regular programing ..IBTL.. I caught a coyote today on my trail cam set on video mode . Anchored low , total length of snare and extension 10ft . and when the trigger went off , lights out . Set was an easy remake in the same spot .
You ought to send that vid to the ATA, Cam. I’m sure that it could be put to good use.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:36 PM

I second that. It would be great footage to see
Old 01-03-2018, 11:38 PM
AO Sponsor

Splat
Old 01-03-2018, 11:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Splat
If I were you i’d Be very, very interested in getting that video for promotional purposes.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:37 AM
Banned

Please show us the video footage of the snared coyote, It would be very interesting.

There is a thread in the Hunting forum about two snared dogs which seemed to be fairly reported although Nube thought the articles were total BS because a snare was made wrong? There seemed to be snaring restrictions where one dog was caught and the second dog was caught in a snare with a spring device. Is this the one that goes "splat" with instant kills? One dog [guard dog] had traveled a mile which is much too far and the second was with it's owner.

MS - your lesson on cyanide poisoning has nothing to do with the accidental snaring of dogs. I asked for input if you had any?
Closed Thread