Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 01-15-2018, 08:53 AM
The Cook The Cook is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canmore
Posts: 1,113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by play.soccer View Post
And yet when the idea of hunters taking out a PRO HUNTING ad/article in the same newspaper was presented to the Facebook group NO ONE wanted to donate some cash to it.

So the antis win because they actually take action. Everyone else, pro gun pro hunting just sits back and waits and complains.
I don't do face book, as I'm sure a lot of older folks on this site don't do it also. Any way I would rather give money to charity.
__________________
Woke up with a pulse, best day ever
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-15-2018, 08:59 AM
6.5 shooter 6.5 shooter is offline
Suspended User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Medicine Hat
Posts: 1,713
Default

Billions of dollars pour into their economy..thousands of game animals are saved from extinction.....Eco systems left in there natural state....

YET we as "hunters" BITCH because they are not doing it OUR WAY ....wow give your heads a shake.....

We don't need the anti's to tear us apart...your my way is the only way, "hunters" are doing a fine job on your own....
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-15-2018, 09:13 AM
The Cook The Cook is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canmore
Posts: 1,113
Default

Somebody remind me to put shooting an alligator in a fenced swimming hole while my trophy girlfriend holds my beer on my bucket list.
__________________
Woke up with a pulse, best day ever
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-15-2018, 09:19 AM
Hillbilly 12 Hillbilly 12 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 375
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
Somebody remind me to put shooting an alligator in a fenced swimming hole while my trophy girlfriend holds my beer on my bucket list.
Yeah that was discussing, now that guy was a loser.

I do not agree with killing something just for the head/skin.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-15-2018, 09:27 AM
The Cook The Cook is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canmore
Posts: 1,113
Default

I got no problem if someone wants to work their butt off looking for a ram, bull elk, deer, moose, whatever. Fair chase is what keeps hunters far above those guys in that show.
__________________
Woke up with a pulse, best day ever
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-15-2018, 09:38 AM
elk396 elk396 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 488
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
I got no problem if someone wants to work their butt off looking for a ram, bull elk, deer, moose, whatever. Fair chase is what keeps hunters far above those guys in that show.
They picked a real goofball to portray the typical stereotype hunter that goes to Africa, not all hunts over there are like that. Many seasoned hunters/outfitters from over here went over to Africa and were killed while hunting game over there. there's some real tough, dangerous hunts there. Look at Saskatchewan, Sit in a blind over a pile of grain and drop your whitetail buck, now that's what I call fair chase.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-15-2018, 09:42 AM
The Cook The Cook is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canmore
Posts: 1,113
Default

I have to agree with you Elk but as you and I both know baiting is illegal in our home province ( except for bear, which I do not agree with)
__________________
Woke up with a pulse, best day ever
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-15-2018, 10:02 AM
Jamie Jamie is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 8,240
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Billions of dollars pour into their economy..thousands of game animals are saved from extinction.....Eco systems left in there natural state....

YET we as "hunters" BITCH because they are not doing it OUR WAY ....wow give your heads a shake.....

We don't need the anti's to tear us apart...your my way is the only way, "hunters" are doing a fine job on your own....
I am in agreement here...
Some of you guys seem to have missed the point of the show.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-15-2018, 10:03 AM
covey ridge's Avatar
covey ridge covey ridge is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: N. E. of High River
Posts: 4,979
Default

Yes, I was a little surprised when he quoted the Bible saying that human's God given dominion over the animals translated to his right trophy hunting.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-15-2018, 10:14 AM
elk396 elk396 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 488
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
I have to agree with you Elk but as you and I both know baiting is illegal in our home province ( except for bear, which I do not agree with)
I'm just referring to North America in General, the anti hunting sentiment we are dealing with today is the whole continent, so I was referring to baiting deer in our own country as not much better than shooting a penned animal. It's also easy to do and pathetic to me. The Croc hunt was pathetic, the hunter was a douche bag, but there's tons of hunts over there that's wide open, huge concessions. They are not all easy hunts. Even the penned hunts, try find a kudu on 50,000 acres of fenced bush, you can hunt a week and not even see one. There's all levels of hunting over there which is good for older fellows and you can bring your wife(did I just say that?), who doesn't have much interest in spending 5 years on a mountain face to find a legal ram.
That old Rhino breeder was bang on, if you stop the breeders over there, you will only be looking at pictures of extinct game in the near future.
Kenya stopped hunting years ago and there game numbers are down by 60-70%. Poaching is thru the roof in that country now, so pick your poison.
The anti's want to replace hunting with camera safaris, they want to pay $20 to spend a day photographing wildlife in a park, well the Average hunter spends over $10,0000 USD to hunt less than 1% of that species population. It's sustainable and is the best way to ensure the survival of the game, it's been proven in countries that have banned hunting.
North Americans want to control the hunting over on another continent, but they don't understand Africa, they assume it's just like North America which is not the case, you take the value of those animals away by ending hunting, they will be poached to extinction.
Hunting here is for sport, it's not a need, not the case over there. You don't go hunting here , you still get your paycheck.
i was surprised the show was only focussed on Africa, it would have been more compelling to see why hunters kill animals in North America, they would have a much better argument here, we are trophy hunting to put heads in our trophy rooms, in Africa it's going to stave off extinction. Here it's a 'bucket list' for the trophy room, I find that argument tougher to fight when I'm attacked by anti hunters. What do you say?
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 01-15-2018, 10:31 AM
Sitting Bull's Avatar
Sitting Bull Sitting Bull is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
You do mean a heads up don't you? I sort of always thought thumbs up meant some sort of approval?

I will attempt to keep an open mind till I view the documentary.
Your right I meant heads up not thumbs up.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 01-15-2018, 10:32 AM
The Cook The Cook is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canmore
Posts: 1,113
Default

The best part of the show was seeing the villagers line up for the elephant meat so yeah I get it. Here it's called game management and trophy's give way to new bloodlines same as over there. As long as there are no fences.
__________________
Woke up with a pulse, best day ever
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 01-15-2018, 10:36 AM
Jamie Jamie is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 8,240
Default

Ok, so how come the Antis get the point of the program but yet we don't?
Come on guys look at the big picture...... Sometimes its frustrating trying to keep what we have going and at the same time watching fellow hunters burn us down.

From the ANTIS....ADI has teamed up with fellow animal advocates and conservationists to urge CNN not to broadcast TROPHY, a shockumentary promoting trophy hunting and the rhino horn trade. As stated in a joint letter to CNN, the film is “almost devoid of facts” and “could do irreparable damage to the cause of responsible wildlife conservation.” Riddled with unsupported, contested claims presented as truths, TROPHY ignores decades of evidence to the contrary. For example, independent studies show that on average just 3% of revenue generated by trophy hunting supports local communities. By contrast, in Kenya alone, eco-tourism generates 5-6 times the total revenue of trophy hunting across the ENTIRE African continent! Tiger farming and the legal ivory trade have shown these practices complicate already challenging law enforcement, and increase market demand for related products, negatively impacting wild populations, which are viewed as ’superior’ and cheaper to plunder. TROPHY misinforms current understanding of conservation and misrepresents controversy as fact; it has no place on a fact-focused news network
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 01-15-2018, 10:47 AM
The Cook The Cook is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canmore
Posts: 1,113
Default

I don't want to come across as selfish but trying to care about every issue that is thrown in our faces on a daily basis from N Korea to Trump and turdo, my old shoulders are getting tired of trying to keep up so I will carry on caring about my family, friends and community because these I can make a difference to, everything else not so much.
__________________
Woke up with a pulse, best day ever
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 01-15-2018, 11:03 AM
IronNoggin's Avatar
IronNoggin IronNoggin is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Port Alberni, Vancouver Island, BC
Posts: 593
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Looks like it ruffled more feathers before it aired, than after.
Much ado about nothing IMHO.

Cheers,
Nog
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 01-15-2018, 11:53 AM
Jamie Jamie is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 8,240
Default

I had the pleasure of serving the Great Canadian God of winter last night.
Can anyone find this program on line? I missed the second half and want to finish it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.