Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-15-2018, 10:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gongshow View Post
This is a Very fitting thread for me to
Read today. My son was in a tournament this weekend in the states and the amount of yelling at the players from the fans and coaches was horrendous. Down in the states, they must not have to take the "Respect in sport" online course that we do up here. It was shocking.....
My son was yelled at by the fans in the stands and the opposing teams coaches. And even when he was leaving the dressing room parents and coaches were yelling at him and one coach even pushed him. My son did not get kicked out of any games, he did not get into any fights on the ice, and did not get any malicious penalties either. Of course he isn't innocent in all this, he talked back to the coaches on the ice.

Another one of his teammates was given the finger by an opposing teams parents after he was kicked out of the game for a hit from behind.

It was deplorable behaviour by the fans and coaches...
Happens here all the time regardless of the respect in sport course parents/coaches take.
Parents almost need their own official in the crowd. Three strikes and your done for the season. Repeat offenders should get banned/fined for this behaviour as it’s getting worse and worse.
When I was coaching we had a problem parent who would try to get into the dressing room between periods to give us coaches s*** for not double shifting Johnnyboy. Got to the point the door was locked and another parent who was a RCMP member had to guard the door. It’s sad but it’s reality and it’s happening everywhere.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:45 PM

Despite the fact coaches take the time to have a team meeting to try and curb this behaviour - parents just can't help themselves. It seems the higher level they play the worse these parents get.

One example ..... using "ice time" or "field time" in my case ....

When I played soccer, we (the players) were told simply that they have been selected to the team. Your position on the starting lineup is yours to keep and protect. The other 7 players were also told, clearly, they have been selected as prospects to the team, are welcome to join the team and sign up, but it was their job to get themselves time on the field. As of that moment they knew not to expect equal play time. They knew they would get opportunities, and they knew they had to work to keep those opportunities. And, you bet, we worked our butts off to keep our jobs !!!! Not one single parent was an issue.

Fast forward some 25 years - Seems like despite our kids club having the exact same policy - parents still felt their kid deserved more than his/her talent would allow. They would corner the coaches and give us a hard time. Tireless, relentless, poisonous.

What happened????? When did all these parents become some bold??? Why is everyone an armchair expert???? Something happened to society that has transitioned into kids sports.

SAD
Old 01-15-2018, 11:12 PM
Banned

For those with out kids in minor sports yet. These are all one of story’s .
The vast vast majority of the time it goes really well.
This things don’t happen “All the Time” but yes occasionally they do.
I have been involved in sports as a player,coach and a parent. 99% of the time it all goes well.
I find all the story’s more funny than anything.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:28 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Yup another case where the parents wreck the game...man sat many years in arenas watching hockey, coached, worked games as a ref, off ice official etc and it is the parents that just act like idiots, the occasional coach but the meathead parents...relax its just a game.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-15-2018, 11:38 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHMS View Post
I'm going to call total BS on this fantasy!
Probably happened as I witnessed a kid take a hard clean hit, kid was down as the mom ran out on the ice and tried to pummel the kid that threw the body check, kid who got hit got up yelled at his mom and never played again...no BS and no fantasy...parents

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-15-2018, 11:55 PM

If you've been through minor sports you've seen the parents. Some learn. Some don't. I work the box a lot in our rink. See a lot of things good and bad. We all know the stories.

I would love to take this time to say that my son was in a Bantam tournament in Stettler this past weekend. Great people involved all around, Stettler was a great host. Kids had a blast .... so did the adults teams were very evenly matched, easily could have been won by anybody. We won in a nail biter against Dutchess.

I love minor hockey and what it does for kids. Parents get in the way sometimes.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:34 AM
Banned

If I have a kids I can't wait to put them in soccer. I played for 15 years, made it as far as the USL Super Y League and saw some of what you guys talk about but it seems that it's going to be even more entertaining when I get to sit in the stands LOL
Old 01-16-2018, 07:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by play.soccer View Post
If I have a kids I can't wait to put them in soccer. I played for 15 years, made it as far as the USL Super Y League and saw some of what you guys talk about but it seems that it's going to be even more entertaining when I get to sit in the stands LOL
I think there’s a major change in parents behaviour between soccer (a non contact sport) to a sport like hockey or football. Parents orgasm when their kid lays a big hit, but all of a sudden when the role is reversed and it’s their kid on the receiving end all hell breaks loose, regardless if it was a clean check or not.
My advice to hockey parents is. hockey is a contact sport, he’s gona get hit, he’s gona get hurt and if you don’t like it don’t play the sport. Most coaches like myself don’t get paid (even at the club level), we dedicate 5+ days a week to your kids whom we didn’t even know prior to the season, we aren’t out their to sabotage their NHL careers we are there to help them grow as hockey players and young men.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223MB View Post
I think there’s a major change in parents behaviour between soccer (a non contact sport) to a sport like hockey or football. Parents orgasm when their kid lays a big hit, but all of a sudden when the role is reversed and it’s their kid on the receiving end all hell breaks loose, regardless if it was a clean check or not.
My advice to hockey parents is. hockey is a contact sport, he’s gona get hit, he’s gona get hurt and if you don’t like it don’t play the sport. Most coaches like myself don’t get paid (even at the club level), we dedicate 5+ days a week to your kids whom we didn’t even know prior to the season, we aren’t out their to sabotage their NHL careers we are there to help them grow as hockey players and young men.
High level of soccer is actually quite physical. **Not to the point of hockey** but you'll always have the one crappy player that will try to take out the good players and I've seen parents try to storm the field lol indoor especially cause players get tripped into the boards.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:59 AM

Now, the really funny stories are usually not at the rink, it's on the away trips, when the mom's get really drunk and start carrying on at the lounge/hotel/restaraunt, and get arrested...and it takes 4 cops to get her in the cruiser cuz she is a fighter! I slept right through that one, had turned in early, but it was sure funny seeing the assistant coach and the unfortunate kid getting told why his mom wouldn't be at the game....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-16-2018, 08:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
When I ran the arena the women were disgusting. It was hard to believe all the ponytaill wearing church mom's went next door to pray after talking the way they did. The church actually is across the street from the arena.
Same old story though, 1 face online, another in person, another in church.
Lots of that going on.