Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-15-2018, 08:17 PM

Exclamation Has anyone owned a V10 motorhome?

I have someone wanting to trade for my 2000 26' fifth wheel, and while I know that motorhomes are definately a smaller market and harder to sell, I find myself interested. It is a 1999 35' with 35,000 km.
Am I going to hate myself pulling my boat with it?
Is the mileage horrific or are they ok?
I would much rather have a diesel pusher of course, but this is one of those once in a lifetime trades, maybe lol.
I had thought that I could use it to get the boat to Rupert, then find somewhere to park and not have to fight to find lodging anymore. I could do that with the 5th wheel too, but would have to make 2 trips.

Anyone had experience with them?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-15-2018, 08:30 PM

How much does the boat weigh, on a scale, with stuff in it?? Electric Trailer brakes or Hydraulic?? What does the coach weigh on a scale with stuff in it, not what the sticker says. How old are the tires on the coach? When was the transmission and tranny cooler last serviced? Engine coolant changed?? I would think of all this before I towed anything.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:43 PM

I've never had one Ken, but an Uncle had one (32'?) with the Triton V10, about the same year as you are looking at. He drove that thing 70 mph every where, up every hill, on every flat, effortless....he was a guy in a hurry with money and gas to burn, and he did. I don't remember what he told me he was spending on gas on a family camping trip, but I remember being horrified! It had plenty of power, he towed an 18' ski boat with it, don't know how it would do with your Queen Mary.....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-15-2018, 08:43 PM

Anything I have ever heard about a V10 is thirrrrsty. And then add the weight of your boat. I would also be concerned about the transmission in that set up, pulling such a heavy payload in the mountains .
I have considered a motor home a few times but I always think it would be a royal pain launching and retrieving a boat with one. That Launch at PR with a 35 ft motor home would be interesting to say the least.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:44 PM

The v10 ford was a good powerplant. That said most class c motorhomes had the rear axle too far forward to tow properly. They used a E350 or 450 van cassis for it and did nothing else. I have installed extra springs on them for guys that tow boats as well as air bag kits. If you are lucky to find one that has factory air suspension instead of rear leaf springs then it is much better.
Same goes for a class A unit. Ride terrible with leafs.
And they really do suck on fuel. Like 4mpg bad.
Also once set up in a camp spot you can't just run to town.
But sure is nice to have a sandwich made by the wife while driving.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:59 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks guys!

Boat fully laden is around ~13,000 lbs, overall length on trailer is ~34'.

I was worried about the mileage, I have an extra 7.3 3/4t diesel I can take and leave at Rupert for runaround and dunking the tub toy, just need to find a place that will let me park the motorhome and truck along with the boat for the summer.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-15-2018, 09:09 PM

My first MH was a 1999 Triple E Class A 39'. Had the Ford V-10 and pulled a 20' race car trailer with car in it. Weighed about 9000 lbs, no problem at all. Got around 9-10 mpg.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:12 PM

I have a 31foot class c v10 pull a 18 foot enclosed with 4 quads in it and fuel it pulls it fine. And for gas if your worried about it then probably not the unit for you.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Thanks guys!

I was worried about the mileage, I have an extra 7.3 3/4t diesel I can take and leave at Rupert for runaround and dunking the tub toy, just need to find a place that will let me park the motorhome and truck along with the boat for the summer.
stick a truck camper in your extra truck
Old 01-15-2018, 09:19 PM

Ken,
Not a motorhome but my work truck is a 99 F550 with a refer box and rail system for hanging carcasses in it.
Wasn't a screaming powerhouse but it worked hard. I've had it 10 years and replaced the tranny about 5 years ago. Motor last year with 734000 kms. I think it might be underpowered for the mountains.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 01-15-2018, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys!

If the V10 is housed in a E450 chassis c-class you will hate it. They are a white knuckle adventure at the best of times let alone with the load you are planning to pull.

F550 chassis, on the other hand, is a completely different beast.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:37 PM

My Work truck is an F250 with the V10. I'll say it does have the power but it doesn't do it fast. Largest thing I haul with it is a 4 place horse trailer with 2 horses, or the same horse trailer with 3 ton of hay. I know not quite the same as a motorhome but the engine seems to be quite sound. I seem to get about 8-9mpg towing the here in the mountains of Montana.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:39 PM

A boat that heavy needs a Diesel pusher, 350hp minimum, more like 400hp, especially through the mountains. No Motorhome with a V10 will last long pulling that load. Most 35 ft motorhomes with V10's are only rated at 5000 lbs pulling weight. Last few I had were 40ft deisels,and even those were only rated at 10000 lbs towing. Present one is a 2001, 2V V10, 35 ft rated at 275 hp. Needed to chip it with 5 Star Tune kit, make trac bars front and rear, change the mounting positions of the sway bars. gave me 10 mpg to BC and back,pulling nothing, same as the 40 ft with 8.3 cummins deisels. Definately would not pull anything heavier than 5000 lbs with it through BC. Newer V10's have 3valves, tow mode for trans, and 365 hp. I went with the gas one now because it handles better, less cost to maintain than a deisel, and I don't pull anything.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:09 AM

Launching a boat with a motor home or a truck camper is easy, just install a hitch on the front bumper and drive it in. I have a Dodge 3500 and draw tite makes a front hitch for it, cost me $225.00 installed.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:37 AM

I seriously doubt the V10 class A has enough tow rating for your trailer. In fact, as mentioned, you'll have a hard time finding a Diesel pusher that can tow that much, unless it has tag axles.

BUT, I have heard good things about V10's in motorhomes. typically have more than enough power (when not towing), for mountains. As long as you realize it's not a diesel, and you'll have to rev it.

I've driven a B+ with a V10, and it was unreal, Calgary to Rocky with $30 gas travelling at 110kmhr. But that is much more aerodynamic.

the nice thing about the V10, is any ford dealership can work on it, with a DP, you are stuck and only certain places will work on them.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:02 AM

I suspect the gear ratio will be better in a Motorhome, most likly 4:10's. That should pull your rig nicely. As mentioned, a 35 ft will have quite the over hang behind the rear wheels. If your boat is tongue heavy, it may make the front end float a bit.

I had 2 V10 trucks and loved them for pulling my RV but hauled no where near the weights you will pull. My experience is the V10 will get you ok MPG when pulling but with nice high gears, it should be more than powerful enough. Check the door tag to see what rear axle code it has before you say ok. I wouldn't use it through the big hills unless it's 4:10 or better.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:40 AM

Ken
I am pretty sure you are going to end up pulling the boat with one of your trucks and just leaving the motor home in Rupert. V10 is not the issue, no 35' gas motor home I have ever seen is rated for pulling 13,000 pounds. At min 70' overall, you also exceed B.C.s max length, 20 meters total last I checked, for a motor home and boat. I would definitely check current regs. If they catch you at the scales or highway checks in B.C. you are done and may see some fines on top of that.

The Motor home and a small vehicle or motorbike behind does however make a great way to travel.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:05 PM

IF I wanted the concept of having a place of my own to stay at, while fishing, I would turn your concept around a bit and think about buying a used 5th wheel or trailer and making arrangements to leave THAT there year round.

This way you haul the trailer/5th wheel once and only once....after that.... saving the gas bill year after year or trip after trip.....and when your done with the concept, sell it there.

OR find a fishing buddy that pulls his trailer and you pull the boat.

Just some different options to consider......
Old 01-16-2018, 05:03 PM

I had a 26 foot 2000 450 C class with the triton v10. Never towed anything with it. Just loaded it with a bunch of stuff.

Best mileage was 13.5-14 using canadian gallons, going 55 mph on flat ground, highway driving, overdrive on. Bumping it up to 60 or 65 saw the gas mileage drop pretty fast. I think I got around 10 going through BC and being light on the throttle. Overall, it had enough power for that kind of driving, and could climb hills at a decent rate after kicking out of overdrive and maybe downshifting. It was certainly a tank in the wind.

It had lots of body/weight behind the rear wheels, so I don't think it would have been a good candidate for towing a big boat, especially through the mountains.

Personally, I think you'll be sorry if you try it.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:17 PM

For towing, it's a bad choice (vehicle and engine). For general RV use, it's a great engine. Very reliable, more than enough power for the vehicle it's in, etc. Simple to maintain. A friend of mine has one (and has had them for over a decade) and hasn't had any issues and he puts tens of thousands of kms every year on his (rents it out as well as uses it personally).
Old 01-16-2018, 07:10 PM

Ok, so all things considered I am going to just stick with the 5th wheel, I will just sell it in the spring.
If it was a diesel, I would have done the deal likely, then cursed repair costs lol. To be completely honest I am not sure why anyone would want to trade a unit that nice for a trailer, but I haven't been through the motorhome yet anyway.
I had thought that even if I didn't keep the motorhome for Rupert I might keep it just for personal use. I like the idea of using either of them for staying in at Rupert, both have their place.
Definately the 5th wheel would be more attractive to just leave there, far less chance of theft or vandalism, less to worry about.
Had I done the deal the motorhome would of course be nice to just have, but the truth is we don't camp.
The insurance is way higher, maintenance on the 5th wheel is really $0, where I know coaches are black holes for repairs.
Having never owned a big motorhome I really thought it would be nice for family, visitors, etc but the reason I sold my 35' fifth wheel is I never used it.
I really want to thank everyone, the insight and ideas were just awesome.
I absolutely appreciate it.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
I have someone wanting to trade for my 2000 26' fifth wheel, and while I know that motorhomes are definately a smaller market and harder to sell, I find myself interested. It is a 1999 35' with 35,000 km.
Am I going to hate myself pulling my boat with it?
Is the mileage horrific or are they ok?
I would much rather have a diesel pusher of course, but this is one of those once in a lifetime trades, maybe lol.
I had thought that I could use it to get the boat to Rupert, then find somewhere to park and not have to fight to find lodging anymore. I could do that with the 5th wheel too, but would have to make 2 trips.

Anyone had experience with them?
Can't vouch for a motor home. But my dad has one in his f350. 550000 strong.