Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-03-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
Thanks for quoting that for me as my original post was deleted by a mod. That wasn't a comment on just this post just your posting in general. I received an infraction for directly naming you a douchbag as I was unaware of the rule that only passive aggressive comments are allowed.
I <3 the fishing section of this forum

Stay classy!

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 01-03-2014, 10:38 AM

Smile

Enough already.. get on with the show.i
Old 01-03-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
I've been fishing since I was 12 too and its been pretty much all catch and release... whats the point?

25 bucks gets you fishing with a simple rod and reel combo and a few hooks. Put it into perspective.
Hockey stick and ball or buck $25
sled $15
Video game $40
Sling shot $20

Fishing is one of the cheapest activities to get started in.
Doesn't mean all kids have access to that $25 let alone get another $25 from parents for a licence. I agree that it's cheap to get into but $50 is a lot for some. Maybe to some this is more than yourself.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Honestly I think that a kids (minors) limit should fall under the limit for the guardian they are fishing with.

LC
This is the way it is in bc... makes total sense to me.. FYI I have a 7 year old girl who likes to out fish her dad. if we keep its only on my limit...
Old 01-03-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskokagould View Post
Doesn't mean all kids have access to that $25 let alone get another $25 from parents for a licence. I agree that it's cheap to get into but $50 is a lot for some. Maybe to some this is more than yourself.
Sorry had to say it....

They can afford that every month for their Iphone....Take a guess which is higher on their prioity list...LOL
Old 01-03-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogwalker View Post
This is the way it is in bc... makes total sense to me.. FYI I have a 7 year old girl who likes to out fish her dad. if we keep its only on my limit...
I think it is a good idea personally (I have kids who are both under the age of needing a license also 11 & 15, trust me the 15 year old eats way more than I do!)....the reason why I think kids should be able to still draw walleye tags (as they can now) is those tags are issued for management, and its the way things are going so I think they should learn about it from the get go.

I think alot of folks used to fish to fill the freezer and can the fish for the winter etc....fact is due to pressure now the fisheries in Alberta cannot sustain or support that sort of harvest....things need to be done so that people can still fish, take home something to eat and still be able to fish again tomorrow.

LC
Old 01-03-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
I think it is a good idea personally (I have kids who are both under the age of needing a license also 11 & 15, trust me the 15 year old eats way more than I do!)....the reason why I think kids should be able to still draw walleye tags (as they can now) is those tags are issued for management, and its the way things are going so I think they should learn about it from the get go.

I think alot of folks used to fish to fill the freezer and can the fish for the winter etc....fact is due to pressure now the fisheries in Alberta cannot sustain or support that sort of harvest....things need to be done so that people can still fish, take home something to eat and still be able to fish again tomorrow.

LC
I agree, well said.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Come on down to the Beaumont pond...we can chuck a few flies in the spring and I can show you exactly what I am talking about

LC
If you say that it's happening there then it is. I've never seen anything like that happening at any of the small trout ponds that I've been to, including the one right here in Morinville.

Thanks for the offer but I don't fly fish. If you let me know where all those problem elk are I'd be in your debt though. I'm pri 5 for a cow.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:53 PM

No question about seniors each having their own limit.

As for a guy putting out a line for each of his kids under 16, the only restriction I can find in the Regs is under 'General Sportfishing Restrictions", page 18, where it says: " While angling be further than 30 m from any line in the water". Good luck keeping a bunch of kids within a hundred feet of their poles while playing at a park.
Otherwise, it seems each is entitled to a limit.

Some folks just have a mindset about trying to beat each and every law... it is their challenge in life. Sad!
Old 01-03-2014, 05:34 PM

I am all for families fishing don't get me wrong, but when the kids are bored and want to play at the park and don't want to fish....bring in their lines....dead easy solution!

LC