Yes, would buy from there again 26 40.63%
Yes, would not buy from there again 1 1.56%
Not yet but looking to do that soon 11 17.19%
No 26 40.63%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-20-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
They made a lot more than 14 or 16 thousand. They are not in the business of losing money. That might be what their paperwork says but that changes when the get their kickbacks from the manufacturer, volume discounts, dealer manufacturer rebates each quarter and year ends.
Business people don't invest 50,000 in a vehicle that could sit on their lot for months only to make 10 or 15 thousand dollars off of it. They would be bankrupt in no time. There is a whole lot of black art involved in dealer pricing. Simply put they are not going to invest millions of dollars in a lot full of vehicles to sell them for a dollar over 'invoice'.
Sorry man, you're way off base. They don't make anywhere near that kind of profit on a new vehicle. I worked at a dealership and I know what the dealer made, I bought several vehicles from him, new and used, and saw all of the invoices and paperwork. GM or Ford or whomever the manufacturer is, offers incentives and rebates that change on a monthly basis, that's why deals change. But when the new models come out, eventually the programs end on the old models. The dealer gets a set amount of rebate and that's it. That's why, if you shop around locally, prices are all fairly close (within a couple of grand max) If there was $15000 profit in a vehicle, some dealer would be selling for $14000 less than his competitor down the street (on the exact same vehicle) Usually when someone comes in and says " I can get this same truck for $XX less, down the road....there are some options missing or it's not exactly the same. They make a markup on the vehicles, sure, but those dealerships cost a lot to run... But the markup is surprisingly small once you get down to it. They're trying to get you back in for parts, service, accessories, and keep you shopping with them for years to come. Customer loyalty is what everyone is after, but it's not what it used to be...
Old 03-20-2014, 11:33 AM

You saving 41,000? Ken that buys a lot of warranty work.... Who cares if they honor it for that saving!
Old 03-20-2014, 01:51 PM

Just don't try and pull what this guy attempted!!!!!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...-55k-1.2572804
Old 03-21-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb-MBR View Post
Just don't try and pull what this guy attempted!!!!!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...-55k-1.2572804
Still, $17,000 in taxes? What a crock of crap.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-21-2014, 09:59 AM

Friend of mine was looking for an older Vette. Went to an Edmonton dealer, they found the car he wanted, but he choked at the price. He was told it was a US import. His wife went on line, and found the car in a Boston dealer's inventory. Put a hold on it, both flew down one way, had a bit of a holiday, and drove it back. All in, still saved $12G!.

Vic
Old 03-21-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac View Post
I was under the impression that your could not buy and bring in a new vehicle, that it technically had to be used. Ken, did they drive the Vette around the block, making it a demo? I had not heard of the 12,000 requirement either.
All they do is have the dealer register the vehicle first, then they register it to you, then it is "used" because it has been previously registered. Havent heard the 12,00KM requirement
Old 03-21-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Still, $17,000 in taxes? What a crock of crap.
Guy tried to sneak US products across the border. Why is that a crock? We pay GST on every imported good. I have no problem with what happened to this guy.

It's no different than declaring a lower value of product. I know someone who tried to import a car, and declared he paid $15g for the car(even though he paid $25g). Well, border guards go by fair market value, unless you have the proof of this great deal, they completely tore the car apart (as they would in a drug search, ie cut panels/seats/etc,), and the car is still sitting in the border impound lot at coutts crossing. That was 4 years ago.

They should've done the same to this guy.

Oh, and this is why they have those fancy cameras at most border crossings, they take a quick look at the picture when you crossed into the states, and compare, if there's rims/tires/undeclared work, have fun..
Old 03-21-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
Guy tried to sneak US products across the border. Why is that a crock? We pay GST on every imported good. I have no problem with what happened to this guy.

It's no different than declaring a lower value of product. I know someone who tried to import a car, and declared he paid $15g for the car(even though he paid $25g). Well, border guards go by fair market value, unless you have the proof of this great deal, they completely tore the car apart (as they would in a drug search, ie cut panels/seats/etc,), and the car is still sitting in the border impound lot at coutts crossing. That was 4 years ago.

Oh, and this is why they have those fancy cameras at most border crossings, they take a quick look at the picture when you crossed into the states, and compare, if there's rims/tires/undeclared work, have fun..
55k vs 17k, I know which one I'd rather pay!!!! Not worth the 5% in my books. Those folks can make your life a living hell even when you've done nothing wrong, never mind once they have their sights on.

I'm surprised the guy couldn't find a shop in Canada to do the work he was after. That car is not worth a third of what he paid even after the restoration costs. Must have more money than brains.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:05 PM

$17,500 taxes is not 5% of $85,000 by the way.

Yes, he did it wrong, and glad he got caught, but geez.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-23-2014, 03:27 PM

Alternatively, you could hope to have one of these crossings, cant say that I've had one of these slow days crossings!!!!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/custom...pers-1.2583512